Author Topic: Tomato Sauce Tonight  (Read 16348 times)

Offline fireman117

Re: Tomato Sauce Tonight
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Wow Norma,

Les's "sweet" sauce from that old link you posted looks great! I'm definitely going to give it a try. Got any more "chestnuts"?

Am I right, all you experienced pie makers like the Wal Mart whole tomatoes as much as the 6 in 1"s? Just curious

Thanks,
Eric
PS any further luck with the white cheddar debacle. Maybe we could plant a "mole" at Mack's.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »
Wow Norma,

Les's "sweet" sauce from that old link you posted looks great! I'm definitely going to give it a try. Got any more "chestnuts"?

Am I right, all you experienced pie makers like the Wal Mart whole tomatoes as much as the 6 in 1"s? Just curious

Thanks,
Eric
PS any further luck with the white cheddar debacle. Maybe we could plant a "mole" at Mack's.

Eric,

Thanks for saying Lesís sauce looks great when I posted about making his recipe.  :) I really like Lesís sauce.  So far his sauce is the best tasting sauce in my opinion.  I found that regular ground anise also works in Lesís sauce recipe. I have many quarts of Lesís sauce frozen.

PS, I didnít had a chance to buy any of the zingy white cheddar to try on a Mackís clone. Lol, a mole at Mackís sure gave me a chuckle.  :-D  Thanks for the laugh!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline fireman117

« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2011, 02:02:54 PM »
Hi Norma,
Quick question about Les' sauce.
When you add the ground anise, do you still use 1 teaspoon like he suggests?

I'm going to make this up this weekend. I'll let you know how it comes off.

Thanks,
Eric

PS Is there a link anywhere that explains the "quote feature". It's not doing what I want it to do. I'm pretty sure its user error. I tried a search for it but came up empty handed.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2011, 02:54:09 PM »
PS Is there a link anywhere that explains the "quote feature". It's not doing what I want it to do. I'm pretty sure its user error. I tried a search for it but came up empty handed.

Eric,

If you click on the HELP button that is at the top of each page (between the HOME and DONATE buttons), and scroll down the page, you will find instructions on using the Quote feature. There is a link in the instructions that you should click and that should give you more specific instructions.

Peter

Offline fireman117

« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »
Peter,

Thank you. Duh! I should have seen that!

Eric

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
Hi Norma,
Quick question about Les' sauce.
When you add the ground anise, do you still use 1 teaspoon like he suggests?

I'm going to make this up this weekend. I'll let you know how it comes off.

Thanks,
Eric

Eric,

When I add the ground anise, I add to my taste, because different times I have used more tomatoes or different kinds of tomatoes than Les has used.  When I made the first batch of Lesís sauce (with grape tomatoes) I did use the recommended amount of anise to see what the starting point would be for the kind of taste Lesís sauce would give. I have also added more garlic, at times because I do like the taste of garlic.

Best of luck and let us all know how you like Lesís sauce.  :)

Norma

Offline fireman117

« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2011, 05:29:26 PM »
Hi All,

Just made up a batch of Les' sauce. Oh Boy! It tastes great right after it was made, I think it's going to be great by tomorrow after the flavors have a chance to blend.

Eric

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »
Hi All,

Just made up a batch of Les' sauce. Oh Boy! It tastes great right after it was made, I think it's going to be great by tomorrow after the flavors have a chance to blend.

Eric

Eric,

Great to hear you also like Lesís sauce.  :)  It will taste even better the next day.

Norma

Offline fireman117

« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2011, 10:54:52 AM »
Hi All,

Tried out the Les' sweet red sauce I made up over the weekend, and IT"S THE BOMB!  I used it on a pan pizza and a "DiFara Esq" NY style.  Both got rave reviews.
A few observations;
The sauce is very wet. I suggest straining it if you are going to apply it directly to the crust. I did not mix in any extra tomato like Les does when making up the pizza. IMO you don't need to, the sauce holds up perfectly well by itself, and the water content is high to begin with. After making up the sauce it smells very garlicky. Don't worry, it tastes very mild. I used 100 g of sauce per pie, (14in) and although the flavor came through well, another 25g would have been just perfect. The only problem I had was the rim really puffed up and the toppings pooled up twords the middle but that's another story.  I highly reccomend his recipe. If you like a lot of flavor try this out!
Eric
PS I forgot, I left the sauce in the fridge for a couple of days before freezing to let the flavors come together.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2011, 11:09:30 AM »
Eric,

Glad you also like Lesís sauce.  Your pizzas really look great, too.  ;D  I really like your nice puffy rim on your round pie and your DiFaraís Sicilian style looks great, too. 

Nice job!  You are really learning fast.

Norma

Offline Chet

« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2011, 09:20:04 AM »
Hi Norma

Did anyone ever try using 6 in 1 ground tomatoes alone using Les's recipe, any ideas what to add to the  6 in 1 tomatoes, I am going out to look for anise seed today and see what I can come up with, If someone can give me a few tips here on the recipe, I really did not find Les's recipe, If I started with a quart of 6 in 1 how much anise would be appropriate,

thanks
    Chet

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2011, 09:52:57 AM »
Hi Norma

Did anyone ever try using 6 in 1 ground tomatoes alone using Les's recipe, any ideas what to add to the  6 in 1 tomatoes, I am going out to look for anise seed today and see what I can come up with, If someone can give me a few tips here on the recipe, I really did not find Les's recipe, If I started with a quart of 6 in 1 how much anise would be appropriate,

thanks
    Chet

Chet,

I had posted the link to Lesís tomato sauce in my first post on this thread.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11539.msg105665.html#msg105665
This is were Lesís sauce is at Reply 5
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1931.msg17063.html#msg17063

I did use 6 in 1 tomatoes in exactly the same recipe Les gave with grape tomatoes, different times I made Les's sauce. I also used ground anise instead of anise seed different times.  I canít find the first time I posted about making Lesís sauce.  Lesís recipe will tell you how much of the 6 in 1 tomato to use and how to go about making his tomato sauce.

Maybe other members that have tried Lesís sauce can also help you find other links to where they posted or their experiences with making Lesís sauce.

Norma

Offline fireman117

« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »
Hi Chet,

Just follow the recipe and take your time with the food mill. Getting all the good stuff from the roasted grape tomatoes takes time so be patient.
As far as the anise, easy to find seed at the grocery store. I used a motor and pedestal to grind it up and that worked well. You could use a hammer in a pinch!

The sauce is very wet when finished and I had a little problem with the pizza being slightly soggy, but not too bad.  You might want to strain the finished product a bit to remove some of the water.

One more thing. 170 is the lowest my oven will go and I don't like the taste of browned garlic, so if that is the case for you, keep an eye on the tomato/garlic mixture while baking. My garlic turned color just slightly, and that was perfect. I reduced the cooking time a little bit.
The 6 in 1, use the whole can. (28 Oz's).
If you have any other questions, give me a holler.

Eric

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2011, 08:28:59 PM »
Well, it was Lesís tomato sauce tonight with meatballs.  Lesís sauce that was frozen last summer was pulled out of the freezer today for some meatballs.  In my opinion Lesís sauce does freeze well and the taste is the same after defrosting.  I made meatballs, used Lesís sauce and added grated Mozzarella and Parmigiano Reggiano.  A salad went well with the meatballs with Lesís sauce.  At least I donít eat pizza all the time.   :P

Pictures below

Norma

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »
Great sauce!!!

Mark
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:18:54 PM by StrayBullet »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2011, 09:40:19 PM »
Great sauce!!!

Mark

Mark,

I also think Les's sauce is great.  :)

Norma

Offline fireman117

« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2011, 03:15:05 PM »
Ooh, Norma that looks good!
Boy Les' sauce has been getting a lot of airplay lately. Here's some more.  When I replied a couple of weeks ago about the first batch of sauce I made, at the time, I thought it was a little too wet, so I tried an experiment. I was going to make 2 pizzas, and I normally use 1 frozen container of sauce for 2, but since I wanted to take out some of the water, I defrosted 2 thinking I would need a little more than the usual amount. So I put the two containers in a strainer and proceeded to make another round of Martinis. Well to make a long story short, I waited too long and I successfully turned the sauce into paste. So I split the sauce in half and ďpaintedĒ it on the skin with a brush and topped the pie off like the pictures in my last post. While baking I noticed a strong pizzeria type smell, (in between fanning the nuisance alarms from the smoke detector). That thing always goes off at the most inopportune times, and then the dogs bark and start milling around the kitchen, and thereís all this rigmarole and pandemonium going on right at the time I need to get the dang thing out of the oven! AnywayÖ the pizza took on a taste I only can describe as a super concentrated ďLesí SauceĒ taste!  And since the sauce was so dry it seemed to caramelize somehow and got a little sweeter and super tomatoey. We all loved it and managed to finish off both pizzas! I thought someone else might want to give it a try and weigh in. Might be on to something here.

Eric

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2011, 06:17:56 PM »
Ooh, Norma that looks good!
Boy Les' sauce has been getting a lot of airplay lately. Here's some more.  When I replied a couple of weeks ago about the first batch of sauce I made, at the time, I thought it was a little too wet, so I tried an experiment. I was going to make 2 pizzas, and I normally use 1 frozen container of sauce for 2, but since I wanted to take out some of the water, I defrosted 2 thinking I would need a little more than the usual amount. So I put the two containers in a strainer and proceeded to make another round of Martinis. Well to make a long story short, I waited too long and I successfully turned the sauce into paste. So I split the sauce in half and ďpaintedĒ it on the skin with a brush and topped the pie off like the pictures in my last post. While baking I noticed a strong pizzeria type smell, (in between fanning the nuisance alarms from the smoke detector). That thing always goes off at the most inopportune times, and then the dogs bark and start milling around the kitchen, and thereís all this rigmarole and pandemonium going on right at the time I need to get the dang thing out of the oven! AnywayÖ the pizza took on a taste I only can describe as a super concentrated ďLesí SauceĒ taste!  And since the sauce was so dry it seemed to caramelize somehow and got a little sweeter and super tomatoey. We all loved it and managed to finish off both pizzas! I thought someone else might want to give it a try and weigh in. Might be on to something here.

Eric

Eric,

You really had me cracking up laughing when you told your story about making Lesís sauce thinner.  :-D I can imagine the pandemonium.  You might be on to something new with Lesís sauce.  Let us all know if you try making Lesís sauce to paste again. I also had my smoke alarms going on different times and my dogs were running around, too.  ::) Somehow the flavor of Lesís sauce is great no matter what. 

I donít know if you are others are interested or not, but when looking for some new recipes using tomatoes I came across this recipe for tomato soup with Parmesan chips(fricos).  It sounded really good to me, because the tomatoes are also roasted with garlic liked Lesís sauce.  I copied and printed out the recipe, but havenít tried it yet.  If I can find a bunch of cheap tomatoes I will try it.

http://italiandish.squarespace.com/imported-20090913150324/2009/8/23/for-tomato-season-roasted-tomato-soup-with-parmesan-crisps.html   To me the other recipes of this blogger also look good.  The pasta at the top of the page sure looks interesting, too.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2011, 10:43:19 PM »
Well, it finally came to that time of the year again, when I am able to make Lesís sauce with some of my fresh tomatoes.  I donít have a lot of big tomatoes that are ripened now, but I do have plenty of grape, cherry, yellow pear, and a few other kinds of tomatoes that are really ripening fast from all the warm weather.  So, it was Lesís tomato sauce again tonight!  

I did bread eggplant, fried it and put Lesís sauce over the fried eggplant and also sprinkled Parmesan cheese over the top.  It was great to finally have fresh Lesís fresh tomato sauce again!   ;D

Pictures below

Norma
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:09:17 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »
Norma