Author Topic: Tomato Sauce Tonight  (Read 16039 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Tomato Sauce Tonight
« on: August 04, 2010, 11:19:11 PM »
Since my different tomato plants are producing many tomatoes and I have used them different ways, I decided tonight after I picked the different varieties that were ripe to go back to this great recipe for tomato sauce, by Les. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1931.msg17063.html#msg17063   Instead of all grape tomatoes, I just used any kind of tomatoes that were ripe. I let the tomatoes and garlic bake longer because I had just cut all the tomatoes in half. 

This sauce with all the tomatoes turn out good, in my opinion.  I just cooked some DaVinci Bowties and mixed the sauce into them and then sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

I froze the leftover sauce. I think I am going to use a lot of my tomatoes this way.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:21:07 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Tomato Sauce Tonight
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:19:48 PM »
rest of pictures

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:28:43 PM »
Looks great Norma.  How did the sauce taste?  Better than the canned stuff?  ;D

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:33:21 PM »
Looks great Norma.  How did the sauce taste?  Better than the canned stuff?  ;D

Jackie Tran,

This tomato sauce is much better in my opinion, than any canned tomato sauce.  Just follow Les's directions from the link I posted and read down from there.  It gives the tomatoes such a fresh taste and there is no need to add anything other than the ingredients he listed.  I just baked a little longer, because I mostly used bigger tomatoes.

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 06:33:54 AM »
Hi Norma,
If you can, run the tomatoes through a food mill rather than a food processor.  You'll notice a huge difference in the flavor of your sauce.

Matt

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 08:57:24 AM »
Hi Norma,
If you can, run the tomatoes through a food mill rather than a food processor.  You'll notice a huge difference in the flavor of your sauce.

Matt

Matt,

I don't own a food mill.  I used the 6 in 1 sauce in combination with these tomatoes.  I only removed the skin of the tomatoes that were really loose after the low heat bake, which was at 200 degrees F for about 1 1/2 hrs.  The rest of the skins, I just processed in the food processor.  I didn't even drain any of the 6 in 1 sauce. 

Thanks for your suggestions,

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 09:48:18 AM »
Matt,

I don't own a food mill.  I used the 6 in 1 sauce in combination with these tomatoes.  I only removed the skin of the tomatoes that were really loose after the low heat bake, which was at 200 degrees F for about 1 1/2 hrs.  The rest of the skins, I just processed in the food processor.  I didn't even drain any of the 6 in 1 sauce. 

Thanks for your suggestions,

Norma

It's not the skin, it's the seeds.  Ground up seeds can make the sauce bitter.

Matt
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:00:11 AM by Matthew »

Offline sear

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »
looks good norma, i  blanch the tomatoes first (boiling water 1 minute)
then remove the skin and continue.

i dont think the food processor grinds up seeds too much, when i use it the seeds look whole.
i got some maters that need pickn so ill be experimenting

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 10:07:28 AM »
It's not the skin, it's the seeds.  Ground up seeds can make the sauce sour.

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for your explanation.  When I used Les's recipe many times before with only grape tomatoes, I never removed the seeds.  I don't know, but in my opinion, there was no need to remove the seeds.  I don't know if it is Les's method of slow baking the tomatoes, but I found the same results with using grape tomatoes and the all the different varieties I used yesterday.  The grape tomatoes when baked slowly and the different varieties I used were then very sweet in the sauce, even though no sugar was added.  Would be interesting if someone else would also try Les's method with different tomatoes to see if they also got the same results.  I also think, that the fresh oregano and ground anise seed also really help this recipe.  I have no idea if the garlic, olive oil and sea salt also contribute to these flavors, but find I really like Les's recipe.

Norma

sear,

Thanks for saying the sauce looks good.  I did make tomato sauce if ways you described before and I know I like Les's method better.  I didn't notice the seeds in the sauce and I even left some skins in for character.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 10:15:45 AM »
Matt,

After thinking about what you said, maybe since I just picked these tomatoes about an hour before I then made them into a sauce, that might have been why the sauce tasted so sweet.  I could see just using fresh tomatoes could then produce a sweeter sauce.  Just gives me something to think about.  ::)

Norma

Offline sear

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 11:23:10 AM »
another thing i think of is people say tomatoes loose flavor and texture changes being in the fridge.
"dont refrigerate tomatoes"
how ever i dont think the tomato sauce will stay good for that long out of the fridge but it may taste better if used quickly ?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 11:34:58 AM »
another thing i think of is people say tomatoes loose flavor and texture changes being in the fridge.
"dont refrigerate tomatoes"
how ever i dont think the tomato sauce will stay good for that long out of the fridge but it may taste better if used quickly ?

sear,

I think you are right about tomatoes losing flavor when place in the refrigerator.  :)  I have noticed that many times, so I usually try to use my tomatoes while they still can be used at room temperature. 

In my experiences and opinion, I can still get a great tasting sauce if they are frozen.  If I have leftover sauce from market, I do freeze it.  It doesn't seem to loose flavor, when it is defrosted.  I have a freezer that doesn't recycle, so I don't know if that make a difference or not, but see that it can.  The only difference I can see if the tomato sauce is cooked.  Then it can change the flavor of the sauce.  When baking tomatoes, like Les does, then I think the tomatoes keep their original sweet natural flavor.  At least that is what I found, from trying his recipe different times.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:36:52 AM by norma427 »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 12:09:49 PM »
Thanks for making the sauce and "bumping" the recipe back up.   I have some 6n1 crush tomatoes left in the freezer and will make this sauce per the recipe exactly before I run out of the 6n1's. 

JT

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 12:20:16 PM »
Thanks for making the sauce and "bumping" the recipe back up.   I have some 6n1 crush tomatoes left in the freezer and will make this sauce per the recipe exactly before I run out of the 6n1's. 

JT

Jackie Tran,

I just wanted to try out this sauce of Les's with his method to see if different types of tomatoes would then produce the same kind of sauce as the grape tomatoes.  It did create the same sauce in my opinion.  The first time I tried Les's recipe I didn't have the anise seed, but all the others times I have tried out this recipe of Les's the taste is great with the added anise seed.  Let us know when you try out Les's recipe how you like this sauce.  I am going to used some on pizza at some time.  I just didn't have enough tomatoes before to try out how this would work. I added a little more anise seed and other ingredients, because I used more tomatoes than called for in Les's recipe. Les's recipe was very good, in my opinion when used on pasta or different pasta products.

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 01:23:29 PM »
Norma,

I never tried the recipe, but have enjoyed fresh tomato based sauces for several years.  We use whatever varieties that are ripe in the garden.  My wife does leave the seeds in and no one can convince me they make the sauce bitter.  I don't think the cooking method matters that much.  Adding fresh to canned makes a good sauce.  Using only fresh also makes an excellent sauce, better than mixing in canned in my opinion.   Simmering in the pot to reduce volume by half, rather than halving and baking whole tomatoes also works.  My wife uses no oregano in fresh sauce, only garlic, salt, pepper, oil and fresh basil.  Put it on pasta or pizza. It is miles better than any canned tomato sauce.   

The oregano you recommended is doing well, stopped spreading out and adding a little height finally.  Thanks!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 03:57:42 PM »
cranky,

Thanks for your thoughts in letting the seeds in.  I didn’t notice any bitter taste with letting the seeds in.  I will try out your “better half's” method of making sauce and see what kind of results I can get with that.  I had simmered tomatoes before but didn’t add the ingredients your wife did.  I can imagine how good that tastes.

That’s good your oregano is doing well and growing.  :)  Did you taste it yet?

Here are some pictures I just posted on how my tomatoes are doing.  These were some of the varieties I used in the sauce made last night.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10535.msg105757.html#msg105757

Thanks,

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 06:33:22 PM »
cranky,

Thanks for your thoughts in letting the seeds in.  I didn’t notice any bitter taste with letting the seeds in.  I will try out your “better half's” method of making sauce and see what kind of results I can get with that.  I had simmered tomatoes before but didn’t add the ingredients your wife did.  I can imagine how good that tastes.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10535.msg105757.html#msg105757
Norma

Saw your pics earlier.  Very nice tomatoes.  I have not tasted the oregano yet.  I asked the boss about how she makes her sauce.  She actually uses a recipe, roughly.  She sautees garlic in olive oil, drops tomatoes in hot water to get the skins off, quarters the tomatoes and puts them in the pan, adds salt, pepper and a lot of fresh basil.  She cooks it down in a big straight sided frying pan to have surface area to boil down the sauce and reduces it to a half or two thirds until it looks the right consistency.   It is very simple.  I have been making sauce for over forty years.  Everyone says it is the best they ever had.  I grew up eating my mothers and grandmothers and people raved about it.  My wife's fresh sauce is the best.  I don't care that much for cherry or grape tomato sauce. 

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 06:48:14 PM »
cranky,

Thanks for asking the boss how she goes about making her sauce.  :)  Probably over the weekend I will give it a try.  It sounds great to me.  Thank the “boss” for me.  :chef:  Since you have been making sauce for over 40 years and think this is the best sauce, I appreciate you sharing it. 

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 06:51:02 PM »
Wait, does this mean some people don't use fresh tomatos to make sauce??  Seems like I'm the last to find these things out. :-[
jokingly, Don
I just crush my tomatos with a masher, I have never noticed bitterness from seeds.

After thinking about what you said, maybe since I just picked these tomatoes about an hour before I then made them into a sauce, that might have been why the sauce tasted so sweet.  I could see just using fresh tomatoes could then produce a sweeter sauce.  Just gives me something to think about.  ::)

Norma
[/quote]

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 06:54:28 PM »
Wait, does this mean some people don't use fresh tomatos to make sauce??  Seems like I'm the last to find these things out. :-[
jokingly, Don
I just crush my tomatos with a masher, I have never noticed bitterness from seeds.

Don,

LOL, you are funny!  Thanks for telling how you crush your tomatoes and how you also never noticed any bitterness from seeds.  :)

Norma

pizzapan