Author Topic: Soapstone vs Cordierite  (Read 14503 times)

Offline Engineered Ceramics

Re: Soapstone vs Cordierite
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2010, 06:50:42 PM »
I'm trying to grill pizzas on a ceramic stone with limited success.

My problem lies in the crust, which is inconsistent. 

What kind of dough recipe do you recommend.

BTW here was one of my successful attempts.

scott123

Re: Soapstone vs Cordierite
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2010, 07:38:44 PM »
Bill, could you post your most recent recipe with as much detail as possible? Including your mixing/kneading details as well as proofing routine would help.

What style pizza are you striving for? NY? American?  Do you have a favorite pizzeria that you're patterning your pies after?

In what way is the crust inconsistent? Is it dense? Tough? Dry?  Does it not brown enough? Does it burn too quickly? Is it hard to handle/difficult to form?

Edit: One small thing that's jumping out at me is your use of your launching peel to both retrieve the pie and cut it.  By doing this, you're getting bitter uncooked flour on your finished pie. Also, by using the peel as a cutting board, you're creating grooves, which, in turn, might impact the pizza's ability to slide.  Ideally, you want one peel to launch, one peel to retrieve and a metal tray for cutting. I don't know how deep the grooves are, but you might want to see if you can sand it down until they disappear.  Or... just use that one for retrieving.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 07:45:52 PM by scott123 »

pizzapan