Author Topic: laminated cracker crust using oo flour??  (Read 2072 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
laminated cracker crust using oo flour??
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:24:21 AM »
I am fortunate to have available to me a oo flour packed for Roma by Molino Iaquone.  I've had a great luck with neapolitan pizza and was wondering what a cracker crust would be like.

My recipe:
22 ounces of oo flour
9.9 ounces of hot water
.17 ounces of instant yeast
.40 oz of sea salt
.90 ounces of oil

Mixed all dry ingredients in mixer bowl...added wet ingredients, mixed by hand until all flour was wet, mixed with Kitchen Aid for 4 minutes on low until all pieces of dough were picked up in a ball.  Covered with plastic, and let set outside on deck to rise for about 1 hour 30 minutes.

Using my rolling pin, I rolled my dough ball into a 23 inch by 15 inch sheet.  I then folded this sheet into thirds and then in half, giving me a piece of dough with six layers.  I again rolled piece of dough into a 23 inch by 15 inch sheet.  I took my time and let the dough rest, so as not to manhandle the dough..(it actually was very easy to do).  Out of this sheet I cut 3 eight inch pizzas, which I wrapped and through in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes, and then put them in the refrigerator to sit overnight.

Because I found it so easy to sheet this oo dough, I took the three big pieces of scraps, laid them on each other, then sheeted out another piece of dough (which had 18 layers if your counting).  Out of this sheet, I cut another 8 inch skin.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Re: laminated cracker crust using oo flour??
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 12:30:54 AM »
The next night, after letting the skins set for 26 hours, I decided to bake a couple.  This first one is a six layer piece which has a 8 inch diameter and weighs 4.85 ounces.  I didn't know how hot I should bake these, never making a oo cracker crust before, so I had my home oven all the way up, and I had my stones register at about 635 degrees
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:32:28 AM by fazzari »

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 12:38:29 AM »
Thinking the oven was a bit hot, I turned it down to about 580 degrees for the second pizza.  This skin was the 18 layer lamination..it was 8 inches in diameter and weighed 5.95 ounces.  Notice the puffiness as compared to the first one

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 12:44:19 AM »
All in all, a good experiment which created excellent food.  From this experiment it is very easy to say that of all the flours I've used for this method of dough...the oo flour was by far the easiest to work with as far as sheeting dough.  The oo flour also gives a different texture to these skins.  The bottom crust is extremely thin and crispy....not tough, but tender and very crispy.  The flavor was also very good.  I might have to do some experimenting with my sheeter.

John

buceriasdon

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 04:28:21 AM »
John, Thanks for sharing! Great looking pies.
Don

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 09:31:51 AM »
John,

Those are great looking pies.

You mentioned using hot water. How hot was the water and why did you use the hot water?

Peter

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
Peter
I always use as hot a water as the tap will give me because I always work with warm dough...the warmer the dough, the easier it is to sheet...I make up for this by immediately putting my skins in the freezer to cool for at least 30 minutes.
John

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 06:46:25 PM »
John,

Thanks. That is what I thought you were doing since I know you are very aware of the value of using the dough warm when rolling out. Also, a hydration of 45% is a step in the right direction for a dough that is to be rolled out with a rolling pin.

Peter