Author Topic: What do you think of my pizza oven insert design ?  (Read 4426 times)

Offline sear

Re: What do you think of my pizza oven insert design ?
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »
basically converged 2 parts into one from my original idea

and this second piece will allow for the ci pan to be slid into it
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:47:33 PM by sear »

scott123

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 08:47:17 PM »
James, that's some nice even color on the bottom.  

No parbake on this one, right?

Offline sear

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 08:51:40 PM »
James, that's some nice even color on the bottom.  

No parbake on this one, right?

You are correct sir ;)
hydration was in the 61-62% range

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 09:38:37 PM »
You've got to be pretty happy with the results!  I would have never guessed that it had any whole wheat in it from the color of it.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 09:51:09 PM »
James,

Your pie looks delicious.  :)  I am also happy with a hydration of around 61%. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline sear

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 10:38:28 PM »
You've got to be pretty happy with the results!  I would have never guessed that it had any whole wheat in it from the color of it.

yes i was, to the eye i could tell. a bit harder on picture. it added a nice taste, i might scale it back to 25% tho. it is also a bit bigger grain then AT flour

James,

Your pie looks delicious.  :)  I am also happy with a hydration of around 61%. 

Norma

thanks Norma, i was playing around with it up at 65 -66 and wanted to come back down. i like it here too  :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:40:08 PM by sear »

Offline sear

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 05:48:41 PM »
i called a local place about 16x19 14 gauge steel to be cut - 4 pieces - 70$

found some firebricks locally for a dollar a piece and bought 40
i cant wait to fire this up, have to hold out till tomorrow.

i call it the pellet fired brick oven  :pizza:

Offline sear

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 11:21:52 AM »
6 hrs and counting till firing  >:D

is there anything i should do to these fire bricks to prepare them for pizza baking ?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 02:21:59 PM »

is there anything i should do to these fire bricks to prepare them for pizza baking ?

I didn't do anything to mine.  Are you going to cook directly on the bricks or does your pizza stone go there?  I think the top is going to be pretty hot, I think it would be hotter if you could flip the skillet over (where the heat couldnt go up into the "dome" of the skillet). Just my $.02

I can't wait to see the results.

Offline sear

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 02:27:05 PM »
I didn't do anything to mine.  Are you going to cook directly on the bricks or does your pizza stone go there?  I think the top is going to be pretty hot, I think it would be hotter if you could flip the skillet over (where the heat couldnt go up into the "dome" of the skillet). Just my $.02

I can't wait to see the results.
thanks
going to bake directly on the firebricks, i currently dont have anything small enough to fit in there
if i flip the top there may be more air gaps or may not be wide enough to rest on the bricks , ill have to check

Offline sear

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 09:02:52 PM »
yep gonna need to encase the top, ill probably use fire bricks at the bottom and weld the metal box for the top part
was a really thick pizza, im making some more dough tomorrow and will bake another over the weekend

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 01:02:56 AM »
sear, If you still have the rebar, and want another idea before you weld up that metal box ....   I have something simple  you might like to try.

On another note, where is the exhaust on your grill?  At grill level or where?  Are you cooking pizza with the grill lid open or shut?  Was the bottom of the pizza ok or torched?

Offline sear

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 08:59:29 AM »
sear, If you still have the rebar, and want another idea before you weld up that metal box ....   I have something simple  you might like to try.

On another note, where is the exhaust on your grill?  At grill level or where?  Are you cooking pizza with the grill lid open or shut?  Was the bottom of the pizza ok or torched?

the bottom was good, had to use a bit of flour on a small aluminum peel so the bottom was lacking color but it was crisp.

was about a 6 minute bake, floor and ceiling at 550F.

the exhaust on my grill goes out the top, i leave the door closed while baking.
whats your idea ?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 09:30:36 AM »
What you may want is this: 1) A removable "tray" to hold the fire brick that your cooking on. 2) A roof made of the firebrick.

Turn your rack (that your cooking bricks are on) so that the grates run front to rear, instead of left to right.  Make an open bottom (rebar) framework and put your cooking bricks on top of the new rack. It still will sit on top of your existing rack. It will be able to slide out to load/unload.  Build a "table" (4 legs and an open framwork top).  It can fit inside or outside of your existing stack of firebrick that are around the firepot. Cover the top with the firebrick. The roof needs to be very close, maybe 2" above the cooking bricks.  You slide the cooking bricks out, load, and slide them back in.  You now have a solid roof just above the pizza.  Judging from the last crust on that pizza maybe the roof needs to be 2.25" above the cooking stones.  The hot air must escape around the cooking bricks, hit the roof bricks and exit toward the front.  With a proper preheat, you probably could cook with the grill door open.  Did this make any sense? 

Offline sear

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 09:46:44 AM »
What you may want is this: 1) A removable "tray" to hold the fire brick that your cooking on. 2) A roof made of the firebrick.

Turn your rack (that your cooking bricks are on) so that the grates run front to rear, instead of left to right.  Make an open bottom (rebar) framework and put your cooking bricks on top of the new rack. It still will sit on top of your existing rack. It will be able to slide out to load/unload.  Build a "table" (4 legs and an open framwork top).  It can fit inside or outside of your existing stack of firebrick that are around the firepot. Cover the top with the firebrick. The roof needs to be very close, maybe 2" above the cooking bricks.  You slide the cooking bricks out, load, and slide them back in.  You now have a solid roof just above the pizza.  Judging from the last crust on that pizza maybe the roof needs to be 2.25" above the cooking stones.  The hot air must escape around the cooking bricks, hit the roof bricks and exit toward the front.  With a proper preheat, you probably could cook with the grill door open.  Did this make any sense? 

yes most of it makes sense just getting the cooking surface to slide in and out properly would be a bit of a challenge. but it gives me some ideas . the way i have the bricks surronding the firepot now seems to be too large of an area and i think  a steel box (no air leaks) would channel the heat better.
also im gonna get a single stone for the baking.

Offline sear

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 06:08:36 PM »
put a couple small holes in the deflector, put my soapstone in and made a different ceiling.
we shall see ...

now that im looking at it, i should have raised the stone up an inch. too late already fired it up
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:10:53 PM by sear »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »
Line the sides with foil, so all the heat has to come out the front.  All of the heat on the right hand side is heading straight for the exhaust, and isnt doing any good on heating the top stones.  .02  :)

pizzapan