Author Topic: trial(s) & error(s) with the G3 Ferrari oven  (Read 4464 times)

Offline Super Mario

trial(s) & error(s) with the G3 Ferrari oven
« on: August 08, 2010, 11:04:15 AM »
hey,

Just thought I'd make a new topic with this oven.

Turns out although the oven can indeed reach high temperatures, it's a real b*tch to get your pizza to cook evenly as a whole because typically the stone will absorb -and in turn emit- loads of heat which tends to bake the bottom much faster than the top.  As a result, the crust is often times still white whilst everything else is baked through.

With that in mind, I've been trying to tweak the parameters so as to try and nullify these adverse effects.

This time round, I tried a different technique.  I put the heat knob (which goes from 0 to 3 1/2) on 1 with the lid open so that the heating element in the lid would not send too much heat to the stone (it is usually recommended to preheat the oven, closed, on 2 1/2 for 10 minutes.)  After a 10 minute preheat, I popped the pizza in without the cheese.  I brushed the rim of the pizza with olive oil beforehand, hoping for faster coloration.  Once in the oven, I immediately cranked the heat up to the max in order to activate the upper heating element whilst the stone would (theoretically) not be too hot.  A couple minutes before taking the pizza out, I added the cheese.  Below, are the pics of the 2 pizzas I made today.  The first, a Margherita (with a few black olives).  The second, with Italian salami, Parma ham and mushrooms. 

I must say although I'm light years away from pizza perfection, the taste and texture was like nothing I ever obtained.  The dough was tasty, light and the perfect combination of chewiness/crispiness.  The looks are still very average.  As you see, that bloody crust still doesn't brown easily enough.  Maybe this oven is just not made for it.  I think I can forget leoparding with this oven.  But hey, it was good and the dough nicely baked.  Overall, it's a decent (though not HUGE) step forward taste and texture-wise.  All in all, the aesthetics are still largely absent :/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 11:20:49 AM by Super Mario »

Offline scott123

Re: trial(s) & error(s) with the G3 Ferrari oven
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 02:20:36 PM »
Super Mario, congratulations on your pizza success.

If you want the most from the G3, I think it's really worth taking a shot at modifying it:

Pizza Bella oven
Modding out my Pizza Bella: super results!
My "Elite NYC" Pie: Better and Better (PICS)

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 05:12:33 PM »
I have a G3 too and have found it works better with 00 flour and no sugar or oil in the dough.

With the lid down I crank it to 2 and when it clicks off turn it to full, as soon as the element glows orange I stick on the pizza.

If you are still getting burning place an empty pan on the stone while heating this stops the top element heating the stone and draws off some of the stones heat.

I used to use a screen which lifted the dough off the stone enough to let the top crust brown.

When you crack it the G3 is an amazing bit of kit which can churn out pizzas in no time.

Offline Super Mario

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »
Thanks Scott.

I went through the posts but unfortunately there is no clear mention of *what* to do exactly and what "modding" the heat thermometer implies practically speaking with screwdriver in hand.  I admit part of that problem is me being as thick as 2 short planks but with no clear indication of what to do I just tried unscrewing sh*t on the upper part (for instance is it the upper part, the lower part? no idea!)  and yet the device or the lid didn't come apart...nothing happened in other words ;)  ...so I screwed everything back together...  

Offline Super Mario

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 05:22:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice Ian.

So let me get this straight :

- Why do you put the knob on 2 first if you're going to turn it to full anyway during the preheat period?
- Then once the light turns back on again (with the lid closed I suppose), you slide in the pizza, is that right?
- You say you "used to" use a screening device, don't you anymore?  Do the above steps suffice to get you good results?

have you posted any pics on this forum I could take a look at :)

Cheers.

Offline Super Mario

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 11:13:13 AM »
I couldn't wait so I made a new one today.
Put some tin foil on the stone during preheat.
Ian J, if you're still reading, I preheated on 2 until light went out then I slid in the pizza and turned to full (is that correct?)

I must say, it tasted unbelievably great.  I am still in awe.  Crispy on the outside (but without the slightest hint of toughness or dryness which I normally have) and chewy on the inside.  F***ing amazing if you pardon my french !  I even got a little colour on the rim  :chef:

Righty-ho, that's it for now.  I'm going to have to cut on the pizza making/eating for a while => worked really hard to get a 6 pack and don't intend to lose it behind a tire of flab anytime soon!  Gotta stay sharp (and lean) !

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 12:27:06 PM »
- Why do you put the knob on 2 first if you're going to turn it to full anyway during the preheat period?

I do this so that I get as long as possible from the top element, If I put the oven straight on 3 I have no idea if the thermostat will cut off before the pizza is done & how hot the stone is.  As you have found out the bottom is much hotter than the top, this way I ensure the top element stays on as long as possible.  If I do it as soon as the element is orange I can get 2 or 3 pizzas cooked before the thermostat kicks in again & the top element turns off.

I want to invest in a IR thermometer but that still won't help with how long the top element is due to stay on.

- Then once the light turns back on again (with the lid closed I suppose), you slide in the pizza, is that right?

I open the lid when the thermostat kicks in at 2 & turn the dial to 3, when the top element glows orange I slip the pizza on the stone & close the lid.

- You say you "used to" use a screening device, don't you anymore?  Do the above steps suffice to get you good results?

I have tried various methods depending on dough, anything with sugar/oil in must be lifted off the stone or as you have found the bottom is burnt black before the top is brown.

I haven't been baking for a while but plan to resume shortly, I will post some pictures then.

Experimentation is the only way with these things, it is a nice bit of kit but I found the supplied manual very little use.

Offline Super Mario

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 10:42:36 AM »
My latest creation is also the best !

I had one dough ball left which had been in the fridge for 6 days and was getting all bubbly. Couldn't let it go to waste so I decided to finish it off. Don't know if the age of the dough was part of today's small success...
Ian thanks for the help, your method seems to work miracles for me.

...and now for (at least) a week of pizza-free diet  :'(

Offline sear

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »
...and now for (at least) a week of pizza-free diet  :'(

loose the cheese, problem solved  8)

Offline Verace

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 05:03:54 PM »
Supermario, here's an alternative way to use a pizza screen to address your bottom-cooking-faster-than-top issue.

Let the pizzamaker preheat with the top down until the stone reaches 800 to 850.  Cook the pizza without the screen for a short period of time (in my case two minutes); *THEN* open up the pizzamaker and slide the screen under the skin for the last minute or so.  This keeps the bottom from overbrowning (or shudder blackening). 

Hope this helps.

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 06:14:38 AM »
Glad I could help.

In a few weeks time I'm going to start baking again so will post up some photo's

Ian

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 02:15:24 PM »
FYI I saw this a while ago and forgot to post it, just came across it again:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/07/my-pizza-oven-rene-walhouts-countertop-pizza-oven.html

Offline Super Mario

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 03:34:36 PM »
Thanks for the link Ian, it's always interesting to see how others manage with the G3 and to measure up to them.
IMHO, the guy has loads of room for improvement, wouldn't you say?  (i.e. i am not very impressed by the look of his pizzas :P)

Offline Pizzakoning

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 05:10:36 PM »
Hi Super Mario,

Greeting from your dutch neighbour.  :-D I was wondering what you use as a receipe for the dough now?
I have the same G3 pizza oven.

regards,
Dennis

Offline Gilbert

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 03:29:17 AM »
I couldn't wait so I made a new one today.
Put some tin foil on the stone during preheat.
Ian J, if you're still reading, I preheated on 2 until light went out then I slid in the pizza and turned to full (is that correct?)

I must say, it tasted unbelievably great.  I am still in awe.  Crispy on the outside (but without the slightest hint of toughness or dryness which I normally have) and chewy on the inside.  F***ing amazing if you pardon my french !  I even got a little colour on the rim  :chef:

Righty-ho, that's it for now.  I'm going to have to cut on the pizza making/eating for a while => worked really hard to get a 6 pack and don't intend to lose it behind a tire of flab anytime soon!  Gotta stay sharp (and lean) !

Hi Super Mario,
What's the reason you put tin foil on the stone of the G3 during preheat?