Author Topic: Reviving a Sourdough Culture  (Read 202 times)

Offline Riccardo39

Reviving a Sourdough Culture
« on: March 21, 2016, 06:13:17 AM »
Hi,

I don't make much pizza during the winter, so my sourdough culture has been hibernating in the fridge without use since about October. This weekend I took it out to revive it. It has been fed maybe 6-7 times over the last 48 hours but it's quite sluggish. The dough will double in size within 5-6 hours, but it isn't producing many bubbles. I'm nowhere near the level of froth I would like to see before using my culture for a poolish.

Should I continue to feed and keep the culture warm, or has something gone wrong with it, so that I should give up on it?

Grateful for any advice.

Riccardo

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Reviving a Sourdough Culture
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 08:16:59 AM »
Riccardo;
I would continue to keep it warm and continue feeding it. This should allow it to return to normal potency over time. Hopefully you haven't lost the culture. In cases like this I've found it to be a good idea to split the existing culture into two sourdoughs, that way if one should be lost you will still have the other one to continue working with.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 09:22:09 AM »
That's a lot of feeding. You may be diluting it faster than it can return to normal activity. I think 2x per 24 hours for the first couple days of reviving is enough. That's what I do anyway.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Riccardo39

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 10:15:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies and the advice. I'll stick at it - it's showing some signs of improvement at the moment.

Riccardo

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 07:17:49 PM »
You might take 1/2 of the culture & try washing it, just to see what happens. But Craig is right, you may be feeding too often. It just takes time to revive.