Author Topic: It's Alive  (Read 551 times)

Offline waynesize

It's Alive
« on: January 09, 2016, 11:42:33 AM »
I thought that I had failed, a second time, at making my own starter. So, I ordered the Italian starters from Ed Wood.  Well, after one more feeding, my own seemed to take off.  Nice and active, and smelling nice too!
I guess I will have a wild starter, and some purchased ones too. More fun for me!  I am new to the sourdough game.  Wish me luck.

Wayne

Offline waynesize

Re: It's Alive
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 06:29:11 PM »
Ordered Thursday evening, and came in the mail today. That was fast.  Need to clean a few jars and get started.

Offline waynesize

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 11:23:14 PM »
Meanwhile, my homegrown starter seems to be doing okay.

Offline waynesize

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 12:31:24 PM »
Well, six days later, I'm not seeing as much lift, and it smells like Fritos corn chips.  ???

Offline texmex

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 12:53:17 PM »
Wayne, I would get a clean jar and take about a tablespoon of your starter and start feeding that one too.  Perhaps discard whats left in the original jar.  Or continue with it since it is a wild starter and you put a lot of time into it. I would be inclined to keep 2 going just to compare.  Even when my starters get funky in the fridge i can revive them by taking a bit and starting a fresh jar .   At the very beginning of getting the starters going they are not that strong or stable.  Then suddenly, they take off. 
Reesa

Offline waynesize

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 01:38:19 PM »
Thanks, Reesa.  I was thinking of doing that.  I split this starter when it started going pretty good. Have a jar in the fridge. May just take it out and feed it to see what it does.  I am going to start my Ischia tonight, and see how that goes.   It is like Science meets Voodoo!  Makes for a fun kitchen project.  :)

Wayne

Offline waynesize

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 08:27:53 AM »
I started my Ischia yesterday evening. This morning, it had doubled in volume. I was not expecting that.  The instructions said I might expect a few bubbles after 24 hours. I am going to feed it this morning and see what happens.

Offline waynesize

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 07:04:11 AM »
The Ischia activation seems to be going well.  I split the starter into two jars after the first 24 hours. Have been feeding them about every twelve hours. Had a lot of hooch the second day, but not any more.  After feeding yesterday evening, there was a lot of rise in the jars in about six hours. The picture shows how they looked before feeding around 6:00 this morning.  The smell has gone from cheesy/pukey to mildly sour.  I think I am having a successful activation.  ( I gave up on my wild culture. I think it died.)

Offline waynesize

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 04:25:45 PM »
About 9 hours after feeding, they look like this. Doubled in volume. Not sure how fast they rose, but they are looking good. Going to keep feeding to make sure I have a fully active culture.

Offline waynesize

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 09:36:33 PM »
Fed again around 7:15pm.  After 2 hours, I am seeing a good rise. I think there may be some SD breads this weekend, and some SD Waffles too!

Offline waynesize

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 10:15:32 PM »
Feeling confident that my Ischia starter is good and active, I am using it this evening to make dough for bread and pizza. First time using sourdough for both. I hope it works out well.

Offline Obsauced

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 07:32:42 AM »
Fed again around 7:15pm.  After 2 hours, I am seeing a good rise. I think there may be some SD breads this weekend, and some SD Waffles too!

give us an update. the starters are looking good.
instagram.com/obsauced

Offline waynesize

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 07:35:19 PM »
The bread turned out nicely. My pizza was not so great. But that was my fault, not the Ischia.  The starters are doing well. I put one jar in the fridge, and will feed it once a week or so. The other is on the counter. I went from feeding every 12 hours to feeding every 24.  Getting good activity, but the starter is noticeably more sour smelling. Not putrid, but pungent.  I will need to make another bread and see if I can tast a difference.

The pizza I made could have been better.  I did not compensate enough for the water in the starter and ended up with a wet dough. However, after baking, the crust smelled fantastic. It reminded me of how pizza places smelled many years ago. I will continue with SD pizza attempts.

Wayne

Offline texmex

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 07:58:38 AM »
....  The starters are doing well. I put one jar in the fridge, and will feed it once a week or so. The other is on the counter. I went from feeding every 12 hours to feeding every 24....

Wayne

Missing just one of the 12 hour feedings for my counter ischia is what sent it into acetone land.  I don't recall seeing any reports of once daily feedings for RT starters.  They get real hungry at RT, especially when the baking warms up the room. 
Reesa

Offline waynesize

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 08:07:19 PM »
I think you are right, Reesa.  I will be feeding my jar from the fridge tomorrow. I may split it, and go back to twice a day feedings. The Ischia seemed happy on that schedule. I may find it to be more practical to give up on the RT and keep it in the fridge.  I learn from "doing", and sometimes that means learning from mistakes. Thanks for helping with this lesson.

Wayne

Offline texmex

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »
I think you are right, Reesa.  I will be feeding my jar from the fridge tomorrow. I may split it, and go back to twice a day feedings. The Ischia seemed happy on that schedule. I may find it to be more practical to give up on the RT and keep it in the fridge.  I learn from "doing", and sometimes that means learning from mistakes. Thanks for helping with this lesson.

Wayne

Wayne, I am right here with you on the learning by doing.  Even when guided by those who have been there, done that...I gotta see for myself.  I  remember being told not to use 20% or more starter in my dough, but then I did, and it was okay...

Keep on pushing the envelope while trying to build up some strength in that envelope with experiential knowledge, and you can buy yourself some quality time outside the comfort zone. That's the fun part!
Reesa