Author Topic: Finally Am Trying to Activate My Starters  (Read 24767 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Finally Am Trying to Activate My Starters
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »
Norma,
It's hard to tell, but by looking at the pictures your starter looks like it's overly acidic which would explain the lack of activity.  To rectify this you should do a single washing & proof & feed at room temperature until fully active.

Matt

Matt, I was just getting ready to post when you posted.

All I have to say is that KASL must have something magical in it or either something else is happening to make my starters more active.  In less than two hours these are the pictures of how much my starters have become active with using KASL.  They are in the fridge now, after cleaning up the sticky mess.  Hopefully tomorrow the one will become this active again. Even had to pull the darn table apart to get the leaked out starter out of between the crack.

Did anyone else have this experience in trying to get starters active or is it just me?  I am still on the learning curve.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2010, 05:57:58 PM »
Matt, I was just getting ready to post when you posted.

All I have to say is that KASL must have something magical in it or either something else is happening to make my starters more active.  In less than two hours these are the pictures of how much my starters have become active with using KASL.  They are in the fridge now, after cleaning up the sticky mess.  Hopefully tomorrow the one will become this active again. Even had to pull the darn table apart to get the leaked out starter out of between the crack.

Did anyone else have this experience in trying to get starters active or is it just me?  I am still on the learning curve.

Norma

You're all set, much better.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2010, 06:12:40 PM »
You're all set, much better.

Matt

Matt,

Did you ever see that before with your sour dough starters?  That was the third time I fed the 3 today.  The one seemed to become more active faster.  I am still trying to understand what goes on with them.  ::) I will see what happens tomorrow morning, when I try to feed the one starter.

Thanks for your help,

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2010, 07:10:39 PM »
Matt,

Did you ever see that before with your sour dough starters?  That was the third time I fed the 3 today.  The one seemed to become more active faster.  I am still trying to understand what goes on with them.  ::) I will see what happens tomorrow morning, when I try to feed the one starter.

Thanks for your help,

Norma

It could be that they went into the fridge prematurely during activation & needed a few more feedings.  Give the starter a taste, it should taste like yogurt.  If it's too acidic you'll be able to taste it.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2010, 07:16:25 PM »
It could be that they went into the fridge prematurely during activation & needed a few more feedings.  Give the starter a taste, it should taste like yogurt.  If it's too acidic you'll be able to taste it.

Matt

Matt,

I just tasted the Ischia starter and it tastes like yogurt with a little kick.  Is that how it is supposed to taste?

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2010, 07:22:46 PM »
Matt,

I just tasted the Ischia starter and it tastes like yogurt with a little kick.  Is that how it is supposed to taste?

Norma

Yes.  There should be a hint or sourness & acidity.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »
Yes.  There should be a hint or sourness & acidity.

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for telling me that is how the starter should taste.  :)

Norma

Offline s00da

« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2010, 08:42:05 PM »
Norma, maybe you're not feeding your starters enough. Don't forget that the amount of feeding should be relative the the amount of starter. I usually feed my starter a flour+water combined weight that's 60% of the starter weight. Usually my starter is at 500g and I feed it 156g water and 144g flour.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2010, 08:55:49 PM »
Saad,

You are right that I probably wasnít feeding the starters enough.  That is probably what I was doing wrong.  I was feeding the starter 50/50 water and flour today, but not thinking about how much was in the container to being with.  I appreciate you have given me your weights so I can now weigh out everything.  ;D

Thanks for your continued help,  :)

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2010, 09:24:09 PM »
Ah yes, The good old days. What memories, simplier times. A club, a woman, some mead, just doesn't get any better than that.

Oh, to be a caveman once again..............
...........say, didn't we (us cavemen, that is) invent mead at some point? The immaculate fermentation as it were?......................... ???

buceriasdon

« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2010, 09:27:43 PM »
Norma, With my latest flour and water starter I too found I had to feed the monsters twice a day. At ten dollars for five pounds of flour here, it adds up. Oh well......
Don

Saad,

You are right that I probably wasnít feeding the starters enough.  That is probably what I was doing wrong.  I was feeding the starter 50/50 water and flour today, but not thinking about how much was in the container to being with.  I appreciate you have given me your weights so I can now weigh out everything.  ;D

Thanks for your continued help,  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2010, 09:40:53 PM »
Norma, With my latest flour and water starter I too found I had to feed the monsters twice a day. At ten dollars for five pounds of flour here, it adds up. Oh well......
Don

Don,

My KASL or KAAP doesn't cost as much as your flour.  I am sorry you have to pay so much for flour.  >:(  Wonder why your flour is so expensive. How do you like your starter?  Is it a sour dough starter?  Thanks for telling me you also have to feed the starters two times a day.

Someday I would like to be able to make a dough with this sour dough starter incorporated into my poolish and also try KASL and use my oven at market to test this out.  Don't know how that would work, but I have to think about all the calculations that would take.  The math part is hard for me.

I necessarily wouldn't agree that those "good old cave days" were that good.  It just when times were simple. That was Steve that lamented about the cave man days.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2010, 10:53:28 PM »
Norma,

I am not sure that the math will be all that difficult if you are able to use the preferment dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/preferment_calculator.html. I see the issue being more one of logistics. To start, you should be able to use your standard Lehmann total dough formulation but exclude the commercial yeast (more on this below). Next, you will have to decide what kind of natural preferment you want to use with that formulation. For example, will it be a "liquid" preferment or a "sponge" preferment as discussed in Ed Wood's book Classic Sourdoughs or will it be a natural poolish with a hydration like you are now using? Then you will have to decide what amount of natural preferment to use to replace the commercial yeast (IDY) that you now use with your Lehmann preferment dough formulation. Chau has done some work in this area and may be able to suggest a conversion factor (e.g, "x" ounces of natural preferment is equal to "y" teaspoons of IDY or ADY). Next, you have to decide whether you want to supplement the natural preferment with commercial yeast (this will require including the commercial yeast in the total dough formulation). You will also have to decide on what method you will use to make the dough. That is, will it be a room-temperature fermented dough, a cold fermented dough, or will the dough be subjected to a combination of both room temperature fermentation and cold fermentation. Then you will have to decide the duration of the fermentation process. Somewhere along the way you will have to decide how you will time everything so that you can bake the test pizzas on Tuesday at market. You will also have to decide what dough batch size you want to use for your test pizzas. If it is only enough dough for one pizza, I think you will find that the amount of natural preferment will be very small, perhaps in the teaspoon range.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2010, 11:23:49 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for the suggestions of how I could go about using the natural starters along with a preferment.  I will have to think over all what you said and then try to decide if I can figure all this out. I am not sure what is the best approach to take first, but will probably try a natural poolish with a hydration like I am using now.  Maybe Jackie Tran can give me some ideas on how he would figure out a natural poolish if he has time.  I also think I would like to use a small amount of ADY for insurance in the final dough in case the dough doesnít want to ferment properly and maybe move on to not using any commercial yeast once I would see how this would work out.  I am thinking along the lines of a room fermented dough and then let the dough also cold ferment.  I probably would try 5 test doughs like I usually use.  I am not confident on how the flavors are going to develop since these are new sour dough starters. Itís a lot to think about.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2010, 11:34:40 PM »
I also think I would like to use a small amount of ADY for insurance in the final dough in case the dough doesnít want to ferment properly and maybe move on to not using any commercial yeast once I would see how this would work out

Norma,

Is there a reason why you would use ADY instead of IDY?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2010, 11:37:44 PM »
Peter,

There is no reason I would use ADY.  ADY is just what I used for the last pizza I made with the sour dough starter.  It really doesn't matter to me what kind of commercial yeast I would use.

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2010, 08:08:30 AM »
Hi Norma, The high price is because of import duties and markup. Actually the last good imported flour I bought for starter was close to $12 US dollars for 5lb. I use the off the shelf $1.00 a kilo for pizza making but can't use it for starter as they have bromates in them. Price one pays for living here. I of course use the more expensive Three Star......... :D
Time to feed some starter.
Don

Don,

My KASL or KAAP doesn't cost as much as your flour.  I am sorry you have to pay so much for flour.  >:(  Wonder why your flour is so expensive. How do you like your starter?  Is it a sour dough starter?  Thanks for telling me you also have to feed the starters two times a day.

Someday I would like to be able to make a dough with this sour dough starter incorporated into my poolish and also try KASL and use my oven at market to test this out.  Don't know how that would work, but I have to think about all the calculations that would take.  The math part is hard for me.

I necessarily wouldn't agree that those "good old cave days" were that good.  It just when times were simple. That was Steve that lamented about the cave man days.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2010, 08:44:36 AM »
Hi Norma, The high price is because of import duties and markup. Actually the last good imported flour I bought for starter was close to $12 US dollars for 5lb. I use the off the shelf $1.00 a kilo for pizza making but can't use it for starter as they have bromates in them. Price one pays for living here. I of course use the more expensive Three Star......... :D
Time to feed some starter.
Don

Don,

Those prices are ridiculous.  :o I could see how feeding your starters can become expensive.  How are prices on other foods where you live?

I buy my KASL wholesale and my KAAP at my local country market.  Here is a picture of my KAAP and the price I pay per pound.  .46 cents  The KAAP is retail.

Thanks for the pictures of your flours and prices.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2010, 09:14:25 AM »
I think if I can get my one Ischia starter active today, I am then going to use it with KASL and do a long room ferment, followed by balling of the dough and another room ferment.  Hopefully the starter will become active sooner today than yesterday.  I would like to try out my soapstone in my home oven with a sourdough pizza tomorrow.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2010, 10:35:34 AM »
I split the starter, put it in a new container and have fed it. I'll see if this starter becomes more active quicker than my starters did yesterday.

Picture below of the starter.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:13:30 PM by norma427 »

pizzapan