Author Topic: Finally Am Trying to Activate My Starters  (Read 23224 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Finally Am Trying to Activate My Starters
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2010, 10:41:58 AM »
Glass is a much better material then plastic to store your starter in. Starter can be well sealed when under refridgeration as it will basically be dormant, but once out at room temp it will activate and must have a vent so gases can escape.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2010, 11:18:42 AM »
Hi all,

I've been reading up on using starters to make dough for a while, and will try activating my yeast tonight. There is a helluva lot of information on these forums, which is great! :) and I've been slowly going through it all.

I just have one question for now that I can't seem to find the answer too. What type of container do you keep your cultures in? I'm specifically interested in how airtight they are.

I assume when you first activate the yeast the container is left open to the air. Is it ever sealed? Is it sealed air tight once refrigerated?

Does exposure to air or not affect how the yeast works?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks!! from a newcomer..

Welcome to the forum snelly!  :)

I only used the plastic containers show in this thread to activate my starters and did close them tightly while trying to start my starters.  It did work for me, but John’s and
dmcavanagh’s answers are  really good, because I never activated starters before.  I can also see the advantages in using glass while activating a starter.  I think most members do use glass. I made some “wild yeast” starters before with the help of Toby (Infoodel) and I only used plastic containers for them as well  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10008.0.html

Right now I am playing around with milk kefir starters and I do have them in glass containers covered with just linen.

Good luck in activating your starters!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline MrPibbs

« Reply #182 on: January 01, 2013, 11:51:06 PM »
Norma, even though this is an old topic, following your journey using the two Italian cultures I just ordered from www.sourdo.com is invaluable because I also have never done a starter/poolish before.  I ordered the "Classic Sourdoughs" book, but the process is a lot clear to me after reading this thread.  Thanks for starting it, and everyone's posts.

I sort of jumped off the 'Varasano Bridge' after reading and printing out a copy of Jeff's website, and cutting off the Whirlpool Oven Self-Cleaning locking latch with my Dremel a few days ago.  I get up to 850°F on the stone within 35 mins; 1000°F at top.  Kind of scary cooking a pizza in 2mins, and burning it in 3 mins!   :o  Jeff is right that the temps surrounding and in cabinet above the oven never went above 87°F.  With only two pizzas down, many lessons being learned.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: January 02, 2013, 08:09:32 AM »
MrPibbs,

I am glad that you ordered two Italian cultures from www.sourdo.com and am also glad this thread helped you with the posts from many members. 

Your journey sound interesting and I wish you well with your starters.  :) You are really into your journey if you tried a oven hack already.  :)  Just be careful with that.  I am still learning lessons, as I am sure you will too.  In each pizza that is made there are always questions, but in the end you then learn more.

Looking forward to seeing when you used your starters and seeing the final pizzas.

Norma

Offline MrPibbs

« Reply #184 on: January 02, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »
Thanks!  By the time I remember to take pictures, the pizza has been eaten.  Have to keep the camera handy!!!   :D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #185 on: January 02, 2013, 06:33:32 PM »
Thanks!  By the time I remember to take pictures, the pizza has been eaten.  Have to keep the camera handy!!!   :D

I had to cut off a few fingers early on, but now everyone is trained not to touch the pies until I take a picture.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: January 02, 2013, 07:54:53 PM »

MrPibbs,

Yep, keep the camera handy.  ;) Most members do like to see pictures and even if something doesn't turn out right, then members are here to help you on what you might need help with.  I have lots of pizzas that didn't turn out the way I planned, but then there were members that stepped in and help me.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2013, 07:55:51 PM »
I had to cut off a few fingers early on, but now everyone is trained not to touch the pies until I take a picture.  :-D

Craig,

:-D

Norma

Offline MrPibbs

« Reply #188 on: January 03, 2013, 01:08:18 AM »
I have not received my book and starters from sourdo.com yet, but for pizza planning purposes....once the starter process is begun for the first time, what is the approximate number of days before you can have a useable result?

I can share a couple pix of how easy it was to cut off this little hook tab and have the Whirlpool Self-Cleaning cycle start up.  No other modifications were needed.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: January 03, 2013, 07:58:06 AM »
I have not received my book and starters from sourdo.com yet, but for pizza planning purposes....once the starter process is begun for the first time, what is the approximate number of days before you can have a useable result?

I can share a couple pix of how easy it was to cut off this little hook tab and have the Whirlpool Self-Cleaning cycle start up.  No other modifications were needed.

Mr.Pibbs,

Those are great pictures of how you did your oven hack.  If you are getting good results with you pizzas I think members would be able to see what you did better if you posted the oven hack under the oven board. 

It all depends on how long it takes you to get your starters activated when you can start making pizzas with them, but for me I started activating my starters at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11578.0.html and then made my first pizza with a starter at Reply 61 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11578.msg106880.html#msg106880

Peter explained more how I could experiment with starters at Reply 51 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11578.msg106667.html#msg106667

I have experimented with starters many times, but still don’t full understand what the best methods are.  I would have liked to offer a starter dough pizza at market, but had too many problems with different variables to be able to do that.

Once you get started making pizzas with your starters and start your own thread it will be interesting to see what you post about using starters and how you like the taste of starters in the final pizzas.  Usually starters in pizza dough do taste better if the temperature is controlled while fermenting your dough, but you can play around with cold fermenting too.  Cold fermenting does slow the fermenting down though if using a starter.  There are a lot of members on this forum that know a lot more about using starters than I do.

Norma

Offline Gags

« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2013, 06:35:45 PM »
Norma, even though this is an old topic, following your journey using the two Italian cultures I just ordered from www.sourdo.com is invaluable because I also have never done a starter/poolish before.

+1!!

Thanks for documenting this journey with starters, Norma!
I finally took the plunge and got my two Italian starters from sourdo.com today! Woot!!
I'm 2 hours in and I'm watching my Ischia jar and temperature like a nervous dad!!   :-D

"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2013, 08:14:06 PM »
+1!!

Thanks for documenting this journey with starters, Norma!
I finally took the plunge and got my two Italian starters from sourdo.com today! Woot!!
I'm 2 hours in and I'm watching my Ischia jar and temperature like a nervous dad!!   :-D

Gags,

You are quite welcome.  I am glad you took the plunge and purhcased the two Italian starters.  Lol about watching your Ischia jar and temperature like a nervous day.  Best of luck and hope to see your pizzas made with the starters.  8)

Norma

Offline Gags

« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2013, 04:27:43 PM »
Just when I thought it was going great...

The first 24 hours, it looked and smelled great.
I kept it at 90F and saw some good expansion.
For my first feeding, I was afraid it would outgrow the mason jar, so I moved it to a larger one.
Now, 24 hours later at 70F, I don't see any growth at all.
There are still small bubbles on the surface, but nothing else.
The smell is still very good (nothing offensive), so I fed it again this morning and will hope for the best.
Can't wait to get home tonight to see if things improved...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: October 14, 2013, 06:43:51 PM »
Just when I thought it was going great...

The first 24 hours, it looked and smelled great.
I kept it at 90F and saw some good expansion.
For my first feeding, I was afraid it would outgrow the mason jar, so I moved it to a larger one.
Now, 24 hours later at 70F, I don't see any growth at all.
There are still small bubbles on the surface, but nothing else.
The smell is still very good (nothing offensive), so I fed it again this morning and will hope for the best.
Can't wait to get home tonight to see if things improved...

Gags,

How often are you feeding your starter?  If you look at Reply 17 from Craig http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11578.msg106444.html#msg106444 you can see he told me to feed every 6 hrs. during activation, but 12 hrs. is okay too.  At Reply 22 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11578.msg106491.html#msg106491 I posted that I did not think I was feeding my starter enough.  You can see what Matthew posted after my post. 

Let us know if things have improved.  Maybe another member that is better in activating starters also will help you.

Norma

Offline Gags

« Reply #194 on: October 15, 2013, 12:09:18 PM »
Thanks much, Norma!

I was stoked to get home last night and see a nice, fairly consistent starter in the jar - i.e., no separation and no hooch.
Just a nice color, consistency, and a semi-sweet & slightly sour aroma.  I think we're over the hump!

I divided the culture into 2 jars (in case one goes south on me) and named them.
I'm proud to say primo figlio mio "Vincenzo dell'Ischia" and his little brother "Nunzio dell'Ischia" are both doing well!!
This morning, the bigger jar (probably around 50oz grew about 1" and the 33oz mason jar grew about 2-3 inches.  So volumetrically, they are about on even pace. 

I've been feeding every 12 hours with about a 5/4 ratio (by volume, so 1c flour and 4/5c water).
If we continue at this pace, I think they'll be ready in a couple of days or so...

Woot!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: October 15, 2013, 10:44:31 PM »
Thanks much, Norma!

I was stoked to get home last night and see a nice, fairly consistent starter in the jar - i.e., no separation and no hooch.
Just a nice color, consistency, and a semi-sweet & slightly sour aroma.  I think we're over the hump!

I divided the culture into 2 jars (in case one goes south on me) and named them.
I'm proud to say primo figlio mio "Vincenzo dell'Ischia" and his little brother "Nunzio dell'Ischia" are both doing well!!
This morning, the bigger jar (probably around 50oz grew about 1" and the 33oz mason jar grew about 2-3 inches.  So volumetrically, they are about on even pace. 

I've been feeding every 12 hours with about a 5/4 ratio (by volume, so 1c flour and 4/5c water).
If we continue at this pace, I think they'll be ready in a couple of days or so...

Woot!!

Gags,

Great news to hear!  ;D I can imagine how stoked you were when you saw a nice, fairly consistent starter in the jar with no separation and no hooch.  I think you are over the hump too. 

I really like the names you gave to your starters and am glad both are doing well.  8)  I think in a few days your starters will be ready to use too.  Starters do get more stable as you feed them.

Congratulations!  :chef:

Norma

pizzapan