Author Topic: 12 Pies  (Read 5450 times)

Offline PizzaSean

Re: 12 Pies
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 08:25:59 PM »
Ah, interesting.  I've seen other people mention that they like the Cento Whole Italian Tomatoes.  I've tried their Whole San Marzanos DOP but not yet the others.  Thanks!

Sean

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 08:41:07 PM »
Damn dude, those are some lovely pizzas.  My sauce is about the same, including the Cento's.  I have tried them all and those are the best for my flavor.  I WAS using the stick blender until my kid lost the blade making smoothies, now I just mash them with a wire potato masher.  Any idea where I can get another blade?

I will be doing the BBQ shrimp pizza, the wife loves BBQ shrimp but could only imagine those little canned things she had on pizzas as a kid until I showed her yours (As far as shrimp on pizza, not for other shrimp dishes).

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 08:47:23 PM »
Oh, and I wanted to add that the KABF and KAAP are very good.  I tried the Caputo OO and did not like it at all, as well as others recommended here and other places.  I usually do 45/45/10  KABF/KAAP/Semolina (that I get from a Pakistani grocery).

I also like to cook at around 650 hearth, 750+ walls and ceiling in the WFO at around 2 minutes per.  I usually do margherita and other high fluid pizzas until it cools off below the 800 hearth, 900 walls.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 09:13:25 PM »
Damn dude, those are some lovely pizzas.  My sauce is about the same, including the Cento's.  I have tried them all and those are the best for my flavor.  I WAS using the stick blender until my kid lost the blade making smoothies, now I just mash them with a wire potato masher.  Any idea where I can get another blade?

I will be doing the BBQ shrimp pizza, the wife loves BBQ shrimp but could only imagine those little canned things she had on pizzas as a kid until I showed her yours (As far as shrimp on pizza, not for other shrimp dishes).

Probably cheaper to get a whole new stick blender. I don't think mine cost more than $20.

Let me know how the Barbeque Shrimp Pizza comes out.

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 09:23:51 PM »
Craig,

A combo that I found to work well is shrimp and sausage, as I noted at Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9362.msg81960.html#msg81960. It goes well with a Shiner bock.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:58:23 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 09:36:05 PM »
I plan on making a seafood gumbo pizza for my annual Christmas party.  I always make a big pot of gumbo so I will have all the ingredients on hand anyway.  A roux sauce* with shrimp, oysters, andouie, and crab.

*My roux starts with browned dry flour, but ends up with celery, bell pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes, EVOO, and assorted spices cooked down to a pretty thick sauce before I add it to the water.  It should work straight on a pizza, I hope.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 09:48:28 PM »
Very Nice!   I'm off to check out your grill setup. 

I like the Cento Italian tomatoes also for uncooked sauce.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 11:52:29 PM »
Chris,

A combo that I found to work well is shrimp and sausage, as I noted at Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9362.msg81960.html#msg81960. It goes well with a Shiner bock.

Peter

I agree - of course, I find that most things go well with sausage!  :)

Craig

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 07:43:17 AM »
Do you order your tomatoes or are they available locally to you ?  That looks like a fine arsenal of sauce making capability!
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »
I can almost always find Cento Italian and DeCecco DOP at HEB. I notice that different stores have them in different places - some in the canned tomato section, and some in the Italian foods section. They usually have at least two other DOP SM's - Cento and Central Market. I don't care for either. I get the Strianese DOP at Phoenica Specialty Foods in West Houston. It's a great store to visit if you ever make it up the coast this far. If I remember right, they sell the Strianese  DOP for about $2.89/can.

Craig

Offline kross

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2010, 03:51:53 PM »
I really became a believer in the bulk rise followed by a second rise in balls when I was working on my Reverse Engineering UPN Dough project (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10237.0.html). Iíve since decided I like the simpler mixing method I use now, but Iím sold on the 24 hours @ room temp bulk followed by 4-6 or so more hours in balls. My experience tells me that the flavor Iím looking for develops much faster at room temperature than in the fridge. 24 hours on the counter may be the equivalent of several days or more in the fridge flavor wise. I also believe that the time in bulk matters, but I canít give you a reason as to why other than observations of the end products both ways.

Keep in mind that Iím using Ischia culture and not commercial yeast. Under refrigeration, the bacteria will still make the sour flavors (though more slowly) but the wild yeast doesn't do much, so itís not really a viable option for me most of the time. I did some experiments using both commercial yeast and culture together and extended fermentations in the refrigerator with good results, but overall, I prefer dough that is never exposed to cold temperatures. With commercial yeast only, the method you chose may be better for developing flavor. Try some using bulk/balls and some in balls only, and see if it makes a difference. Iíd be curious to hear what your results are.

Craig

I've had good results with using a starter by doing a bulk rise at room temperature overnight, then dividing and balling, and then into the fridge for a few days until a few hours before I'm ready to use it.  I use the refrigerator basically just to hold the dough until I'm ready to use it, not for any flavor or texture enhancing effects.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2010, 07:42:40 PM »
Craig,

Just curious to know if you've tried the Nina brand San Marzano tomatoes. They are not D.O.P.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010, 08:17:32 PM »
No, sorry. I don't think I've ever seen them.

Craig

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2010, 10:54:40 AM »
Bravo! Had to come on this thread and say how great those pies look. This is exactly what I was always 'striving' for, then I learned what it takes to make them (starters and 800 degrees) and strove for less lofty things. Good to see people who master the 'elite's' once in awhile, more power to ya.

:chef:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:56:23 AM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2010, 12:19:05 PM »
Bravo! Had to come on this thread and say how great those pies look. This is exactly what I was always 'striving' for, then I learned what it takes to make them (starters and 800 degrees) and strove for less lofty things. Good to see people who master the 'elite's' once in awhile, more power to ya.

:chef:

A heartfelt thank you to you and everyone else for the kind words.  :)

Craig

Offline sonofapizza

• Gluten for Punishment...
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 06:44:27 PM »
I could really use a slice'a that BBQ Shrimp creation of yours....   
Jeeze man,  why'd ya have to show me that right now....  Well done, Sir....well done.

-Theo
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 06:46:38 PM by sonofapizza »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2010, 07:48:57 PM »
I could really use a slice'a that BBQ Shrimp creation of yours....   
Jeeze man,  why'd ya have to show me that right now....  Well done, Sir....well done.

-Theo

Thank you very much for the kind words. It was really good eating.

Craig

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 08:07:14 PM »
wow, fantastic looking pies!  Every one of them looks picture perfect!  Nicely done!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2010, 01:29:49 AM »
wow, fantastic looking pies!  Every one of them looks picture perfect!  Nicely done!

Thank you!

Craig