Author Topic: A Tale of Two Balls...  (Read 821 times)

Offline StrayBullet

A Tale of Two Balls...
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:18:41 PM »
Why would 2 doughs split from a single mass, develop differently once in the fridge?  This happened to me last week as well... ???

I've been using the same recipe for weeks.  I divide the mass into 2 individual balls that I form up and place into pre-oiled containers, then pop into the cold box uncovered for 60 min, then snap the lids on tight.  Invariably, one will appear (at least to me) to have developed more than the other, more bubbles are visible.  I typically stop mixing around 79-80 so I can put them to bed at close to 80o.

Could a degree difference between the balls cause this?  Position in the fridge?  Thanks!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: A Tale of Two Balls...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:30:34 PM »
Mine always do, but they still punch out to the same size.  I always laid it down to incomplete mixing and placement in the fridge, even though I dry mix thoroughly before adding any wet ingredients, and kneed in a pattern that should homogenize the distribution.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:00:49 PM »
This happened to me tonight as well.  What I think it is, is that you balled one up inadvertently tighter than the other.  So that when they proof up, one will hold up it's shape better.  I bet the bigger one is every so slightly easier to open than the smaller one.  But yes, they usually stretch out the same if they weigh the same. 

JT

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 07:03:28 AM »
This happened to me tonight as well.  What I think it is, is that you balled one up inadvertently tighter than the other.  So that when they proof up, one will hold up it's shape better.  I bet the bigger one is every so slightly easier to open than the smaller one.  But yes, they usually stretch out the same if they weigh the same. 

JT

+1
On a similar thought, I watched a video of some guy making dough balls.  He actually made them with a little stem ( like a mushroom ) he would finish by twisting the stem and said that it would make the balls sit up higher and proof out the top instead of out the side.  So, I would say to pay more attention to how roughly you treat the skin  around your balls. :-D :chef:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:14:28 AM by Jet_deck »
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 05:04:29 PM »
Since it has happened more than once, is it always the right/left/front/back one that rises more?  I'm guessing that if one ball is next to a wall and the other is in a more open position, one may cool down more quickly than the other.

brayshaw

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 05:09:22 PM »
I always rotate my dough balls in my fridge during cold fermentation. Maybe that will help you?
Paul

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 11:09:06 AM »
All good stuff guys, thanks!!!  I'll pay closer attention to forming up both balls as similarly as possible and I also like the rotating in the fridge idea.