Author Topic: GIOVANNI'S MOUNTAIN PIZZA!!!!!  (Read 3935 times)

Offline 1694kyle

GIOVANNI'S MOUNTAIN PIZZA!!!!!
« on: August 12, 2010, 06:20:07 PM »
Has anybody been here?  It's a little place in Mill City, Oregon.  Very shabby, but the is the best pizza I've ever had.  I can't even describe the taste in the crust and I was hoping someone with a more refined palate could elaborate on the sensations produced by this creation.  Or someone could just point me to the best rated pizza recipe they know :)  Thanks

K

Offline scott123

Re: GIOVANNI'S MOUNTAIN PIZZA!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 06:52:51 PM »
Kyle, hopefully one of the members here has been there and can help out.

Do you happen to have any photos of the pizza?  Photos will go a long way when you're reverse engineering a particular pizzeria's product.

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:55:31 PM »
I'm on this!  I have a friend who grew up there and lived on their pizza.  So next Friday We will go, get pictures and ask tons of questions. :chef:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/giovanni-mountain-pizza-mill-city
“Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.”

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 01:38:40 AM »
Way to go Pigslips! :)  Do you have a macro lens? Make sure you get a nice closeup of the crumb  ;D.  If the oven is in view and you can track a pizza's bake time, that would be fantastic as well.

Also, a lot of pizzerias can be mum about techniques, but if you call them and ask about bromate ("Do you use bromated flour? My doctor said I have to avoid it.") they'll usually give you that kind of info.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 01:54:14 AM by scott123 »

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:07:37 AM »
Way to go Pigslips! :)  Do you have a macro lens? Make sure you get a nice closeup of the crumb  ;D.  If the oven is in view and you can track a pizza's bake time, that would be fantastic as well.
Also, a lot of pizzerias can be mum about techniques, but if you call them and ask about bromate ("Do you use bromated flour? My doctor said I have to avoid it.") they'll usually give you that kind of info.

No on the lens......
I'll make a list and take tons of pics.................. :chef:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:09:09 AM by Pigslips »
“Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.”

Offline 1694kyle

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:12:22 AM »
Wow you guys are freaking incredible.  I'm not sure what it is about the pizza. There is one distinct flavor that stands out everytime I eat there, and with a cold beer, its one of the best experiences I've had. It very well could be a long fermentation process, but whenever I've tried I can't get that flavor.  It's unfortunate because the building itself is about to implode, but the goods make up for it. I'm not too technically versed in pizza making, but I still enjoy it nonetheless.  It takes about 40min to actually get the pie, not sure if it is from the constant traffic in the place or the cooking, but it' s not quick.  The oven is track operated and I'm not sure on the cook time.  I wish I had photos and stuff, but I was not as into pizza on my last visit.  Thanks for the quick responses!  

Offline 1694kyle

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »
Also, the owner makes the dough at home and brings it in zip-loc bags...good luck interrogating the employees.  They do toss the pizza in front of you, so there should be any problems seeing the process, but as for makeup, it might be a llittle more difficult.  The old owner sold his recipe to the current owner, and at the time, entered a contract stating tat he would not open another shop for 13yrs or something.  That time is up and I belive the original owner opened a shop in Stayton.  Might be another place to check.  I forget the name, but I wouldn't think there are too many shops there.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 11:39:15 AM »
Also, the owner makes the dough at home and brings it in zip-loc bags...good luck interrogating the employees.

Isn't it illegal to do that. Doesn't all food made for sale have to be made in a kitchen checked by the Health Department.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:41:10 AM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 01:20:42 PM »
That time is up and I belive the original owner opened a shop in Stayton.  Might be another place to check.  I forget the name, but I wouldn't think there are too many shops there.

Ring any bells?
Pizza Peddler, Ugo's Pizza or Apizza (closed)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 01:23:43 PM by Pigslips »

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 01:49:24 PM »
Ok, first report, they use Pendleton Flour Mills Power® Pizza Mix. 
Power® Pizza Mix is specially formulated for thick-crust and deep-dish pizzas.
 PENDELTON POWER FLOUR HI-GLUTEN,HI-PROTEIN (13 ½ %)
http://www.pfmills.com/premiumpizzamixes.htm

Nick's Italian Café in McMinnville  which it top drawer uses Pendleton but I’m not sure which flour.  http://www.nicksitaliancafe.com/

Interesting read:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/allyoucaneat/2009921993_pizza_flour_what_to_use_depend.html
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:43:16 PM by Pigslips »

Offline 1694kyle

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 01:03:40 PM »
Did they tell you they used Pendleton?  I'd find it hard to believe someone would pay tens of thousands for a recipe for it to just be "just add water."  Like I said, technically, the workers shouldn't know whats going into the dough. 

I worked with the previous owners niece or granddaughter or something.  I'll check on that other shop. 

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 01:54:06 PM »
Did they tell you they used Pendleton?  I'd find it hard to believe someone would pay tens of thousands for a recipe for it to just be "just add water."  Like I said, technically, the workers shouldn't know whats going into the dough.  I worked with the previous owners niece or granddaughter or something.  I'll check on that other shop. 

I ask and they told me.  However I did not ask "if" they added anything.  Also there are other factors such as rise time or things such as oils or cornmeal etc.  The tens of thousands would not be for just recipes but things like blue sky and non-compete, very big deals.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 01:58:25 PM by Pigslips »

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 09:14:13 PM »
Ok pizza fans, I went today.  92 plus out there but We did the job. For tonight here are the pictures, I'll get the info on paper later.  Enjoy!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/giovanni-mountain-pizza-mill-city

Paneza Nellie's
John Gates the owner of this place used to own "Givoanni's Mountain Pizza" on Highway 22 just outside Mill City, Or.  http://eatsalem.com/2009/06/paneza-nellies-sublimity.html

I'm sure they are using just Pendleton Mills Power Flour "NOT" Pendleton Mills Power pizza mix.
The mix is, just add water.  The power flour needs everything.
Here is Pendleton Mills recipe,
•50 Lbs. Pendleton Mills Power Flour Hi-Gluten, Hi-Protein 13½ % or similar (100%)
•19.2 oz PZ-44 Dough Conditioner ( 2.4% )
•27.35 lbs 80 DEGREE WATER (54.7%)
•.64 oz YEAST - RED STAR INSTANT DRY ACTIVE (.08%) Very Little!!! (YEAST SHOULD BE COVERED AT ALL TIMES AND STORED IN THE REFRIGERATOR.)
•16 oz HONEY (2%)
•20 oz SALT (2.5%) - Keep Seperate as Salt Can Kill Yeast
•25 oz VEGETABLE OIL (3.13%)
They do have a "secret" so no go on knowing that!
They bake the pie in the pan and use a 'docker'.  Any question?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:40:15 AM by Pigslips »

pizzapan