Author Topic: Experiment with frozen dough  (Read 4137 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Experiment with frozen dough
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
oops, sorry Tran Man, it was dellaveccia who said it didn't taste great, I knew you were doing one of these and I read through the thread too quickly. I'm sure that in a week of two, everyone here will be producing tasty "cats".

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 07:44:18 PM »
Thanks for the post pizzablogger.  There is one concept that was not clear to me and maybe to others.  I think you are saying that high radiant heat and a convection fan both encourage spotting.  I that correct?

Your friend’s oven with lots of smoke inhibiting leoparding is an interesting observation. 

Dave

You are somewhat correct, and I am sorry for my lack of clarification.

A convection fan, in a traditional range oven topping out at 550°F to 600°F (standard top end temperature setting on most "un-modded" kitchen ranges), from my experience in dealing with only one convection oven, seems to encourage more browning/spotting than my non-convection kitchen oven.

Was just trying to point out that it is the moving, radiant heat that plays a crucial role, not just high heat itself......I mentioned the lower temps of standard kitchen ovens to point out this factor is observable at that level of heat as well.

My friends oven smokes a lot because the chimney is not placed well.....and the smoke is gathering because there is not a sufficient "wicking" to get the smoke up into the chimney and out of the oven. Good flow of heat out of the oven is one major factor in air moving inside of the oven.....and the moving radiant heat plays a big role in leoparding.

I'm several 22oz Schneider Weissens into the evening, so hope this clarifies what I'm, trying to say.  ??? :P
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the clarification pizzablogger.

I guess smoke interfering with radiation shouldn't be a surprise.  The same thing happens with the night sky.  On a clear night, a much greater amount of heat is lost through radiation to the cold, dark sky.  Cloud cover provides a great deal of insulation.

Dave

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 01:17:25 PM »
I guess smoke interfering with radiation shouldn't be a surprise.  The same thing happens with the night sky.  On a clear night, a much greater amount of heat is lost through radiation to the cold, dark sky.  Cloud cover provides a great deal of insulation.

Dave

It's not so much that the smoke interferes with airflow than the smoke building up in the dome is an indication of weak air flow to begin with (which consequently makes it difficult to get that oven really hot). --K

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 01:27:32 PM »
You may have something here.  When I ate at Pomo's in AZ, I noticed smoke in the dome of their oven as well.  Their pies were baked at right around 70s and the top lacked leoparding while there was a bit of leoparding on the edge. 

So typically is there no smoke up in the dome or just a little is normal?

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 09:38:33 PM »
So typically is there no smoke up in the dome or just a little is normal?

First off, I can only do what any of us can.....report on what I have seen. Like many of you, I am very observant of what is going on in a pizzeria. That being said, I have no idea what is "normal".

From looking at ovens, there is indeed usually some smoke present in the top of the dome, but it is typically moving out of the oven and into the chimney. Smoke sitting at the top of the dome like some mini smog cloud is likely an indication of poor air flow in the oven....and air flow is good for hot flames, as well as good air flow and convection through the refractory chamber.

Again, this is solely from limited observation. --K

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 09:59:09 PM »
Good point. The smoke I saw was always moving.  But a 70s bake is pretty hot and fast.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
John, I finally got my first black plague pie thanks to you.  I tried the long cold ferment, frozen and thawed dough and it worked.  I couldn't be happier!  ;D

I wrote about it in my almost-wfo-politans thread, but here's a picture for ya as well. 

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 08:57:31 AM »
Great job Chau!

RE: Smoke - from my limited experience with my WFO, the smoke is not a factor at all in stopping radiant heat from above. The only time there is much smoke anyway is when a new log is put on the coals. The reason you do not have enough radiant heat from above has to do with dome height and oven design (as far as neapolitan-style ovens go).

And once you have the oven going - at least in a round, neapolitan style oven - the coals are pushed to the right or left or INHIBIT the flow of air, and therefore heat, out the chimney. The heat rises up the rounded sides and flows back down. If the coals were in the back, then the heat would flow right out the chimney. This is something I learned here on the board in the first days of owning my WFO.

John

Offline Oceans05

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 01:17:51 AM »
Bringing up an old thread here, I recently found this after my "beautiful accident?"

I had the same exact experience as John had posted, by pure accident.

I prepared my dough for a 24hour cold ferment, then froze the dough for almost 2 weeks. The day before I prepared the dough I put it in the fridge, then let it come to room temp for about 45 min before shaping. I posted about my experience here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11654.300.html

All this time I thought it was the new technique of using the broil method, it was the first time I had done it.

The dough tasted slightly undercooked on the inside, but it did not have a bad taste at all. It was very good, cooked 2:20 min

The results were: