For one thing, its a RAW product. Well, the canned tomatos are opened, but not cooked again.
The above poster was right. The canned tomato is 95% of the battle. Your amounts of other ingrediants are next in line of importance.
In NY, they use all or some of these ingrediants. Experiment and have fun.
1. Get your hands on "Stanislaus" brand tomatoes. Don't think they are retail. If you can't find them, try others until you find FIRM whole peeled tomatos.
2. You can add salt and sugar (don't be put off by sugar. Many, Many italian moms use sugar when using canned tomatos...its NO sin.
3. EVOO. Enriches the sauce.
4. Basil, fresh. The leaf in the can is NOT sufficient.
5. Black pepper. Now, where my mom grew up in Italy, black pepper is not used very often. It is used in pizza sauce, however. But, ONLY in pizza sauce.
5. A word about oregano. Another herb NEVER used in tomato sauce UNLESS it is used in pizzaiolo sauce or actual pizza sauce. But, dont put it IN the sauce. Sprinkle it on when you bake it or after you bake it, somehow,it changes flavor if it sits int the acid of the tomatoes to long.
Again, not all places use all of these. Some only open a great can of tomatoes and uses that......Naples is famous for doing that. But, don't be afraid of making it taste the way YOU like it.