Author Topic: Basic Neapolitan guidance.  (Read 1396 times)

Offline BobHarris89

• I Love Pizza!
Basic Neapolitan guidance.
« on: April 24, 2016, 12:21:05 AM »
Ive been trying my first pizzas in my home oven I am really liking the neapolitan style but I feel that the quantity of information is massive and overwhelming (in a very good way) Ive been reading in this site a lot about the 00 flour, San Marzano and dough recipes. But im getting lost in all the options and preferences  :-\ :-\ :-\

My questions are.

Is there a way to simulate Neapolitan or achieve  great results in a home oven that reaches only 250 Celcius? (not exact results i know Neapolitan is a super high temp pizza style.... but maybe something for great practice?)
Is there a Napolitan noobie guide on this site that gives reference on  the dough and fermentation process of Neapolitan(i thought about posting this on the noobie section but the only style i want to work on is Neapolitan.)

Sorry if this is on the wrong place  but im still getting the hang on the site.

This is my first try ( I know its not the way it is supossed to look with the leoparding burnt crust) the dough got a little dry in the proof process but It was quite good nonetheless, the recipe of  is from FWSY by Ken Forkish.

Thanks in advance guys (sorry if my english is not very good)
 :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Offline sub

Re: Basic Neapolitan guidance.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 09:28:50 AM »
Is there a way to simulate Neapolitan or achieve  great results in a home oven that reaches only 250 Celcius? (not exact results i know Neapolitan is a super
high temp pizza style.... but maybe something for great practice?)

Hi Bob,

If your oven don't have the pyrolytic cleaning function, it will be very hard.

You can buy a cordierite pizza stone and put it very close (I mean 2") to your top heating element.

Also try to use a high hydration if you can handle it, the pies will dry less.

Good luck.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 10:44:42 AM »
Give this a try perhaps

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 10:48:21 AM »
This is my latest go to recipe

1 liter water
< 1/4 tsp ADY
45 gr fine sea salt
1.6 - 1.7 kg Caputo (red bag - Chef's flour)

bulk rise for 10 hrs
270 gr balls
rise 8 hrs

For indoor home oven I put the stone close to broiler, preheat oven at highest temp, bake the pizza for a few minutes, then turn on the broiler to finish the pizza.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:57:50 AM by ebpizza »

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 10:56:27 AM »
Next time I'll put the cheese on later in the bake, perhaps when I turn on the broiler. I also brush the crust with extra virgin olive oil.  The pizza above was with a mix of all purpose and bread flour, not 00.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 11:03:13 AM »
I base all my recipe trials on keeping the amount of water fixed at 1 liter and adjust flour types and amounts as needed. I go by feel with regards to hydration levels. 1600 kg is probably mid to high for Neapolitan pizza I'm guessing :-)

I also add the ingredients to the water in this order: dissolve yeast, mix in a few handfuls of flour, then add salt then remaining flour slowly as needed

Offline BobHarris89

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 02:36:35 PM »
Im definetely trying this recomendations, i think dealing with 70% hidration is fine i can rise up to 75% maybe but how does that help? (Technically speaking)...I still dont get whats the effect on rising up the hidration into a finished dough... ??? ??? ???

Offline sub

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 03:24:01 PM »
It's about the texture of the pie.

58% hydration is fine IF your baking time is under a minute otherwise you'll endup with a crispy pie not soft and foldable.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 06:28:44 AM »
Did you have a chance to make more pizzas yet? How did it go?

Offline BobHarris89

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 10:48:00 AM »
I havent, after several tries im not getting that crust but i understand that is because of the oven, im thinkin about ordering today this pizza stone (been reading the forums and taken some advice) and Coerderite seems to be the best option so if im buying something im buying something that is durable and of good quality, whats your opinion on this one?. I think it has good reviews but I obviously trust more the Pizzamaking users opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/Pizzacraft-Round-Cordierite-Baking-Pizza/dp/B005IF2ZNM/?tag=pmak-20

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 02:20:19 AM »
I havent, after several tries im not getting that crust but i understand that is because of the oven, im thinkin about ordering today this pizza stone (been reading the forums and taken some advice) and Coerderite seems to be the best option so if im buying something im buying something that is durable and of good quality, whats your opinion on this one?. I think it has good reviews but I obviously trust more the Pizzamaking users opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/Pizzacraft-Round-Cordierite-Baking-Pizza/dp/B005IF2ZNM/?tag=pmak-20

For cordierite, I suggest you go here, don't know if there's issues shipping to Mexico:
http://www.axner.com/cordierite-kiln-shelves.aspx

Offline fagilia

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 09:41:25 AM »
this is baked for 110 seconds in oven that goes to 275 celsius.
I put broiler on long time before bake so the stone very close to broiler get radiant heat for long time.
Most stone material probably do. I have granite and if i use steel or any faster conducting material my bottom will burn.
I then time the broiler like others here have said. Mine goes on 2 minutes and of 3 minutes. Just as i hear the clock sound to start the broiler i launch the pizza. Broiler lasts until pizza is finished.
If dough is good then also it is soft. Never soft as verace but good enough.
I rotate 2 times as close to glass gets less heat.
pizza is 28cm diameter and 205gram dough ball.
I never use toppings so therefore only tomatoes on this pizza.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:44:26 AM by fagilia »

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 03:07:36 PM »
Looks good. What was your recipe ?

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 07:05:08 PM »
Give this a try perhaps

wow, this video legitimately made it seem very easy to make this style at home.  Almost TOO easy.

Is there a catch to it that I'm missing?!

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 07:55:12 PM »
Not sure. I've never tried it before.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 08:09:26 PM »
I wonder what is dough recipe is? as well as his oven temp (I'm assuming the highest that it goes)

Offline invertedisdead

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 08:57:42 PM »
Bake time was over two minutes. His oven is probably at 550. I've done one in 75 seconds in my home oven with a similar setup. If you have a pretty strong broiler you should get something similar.
Ryan

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 12:26:04 AM »
So from what I understand, I cannot make this style of pizza because my broiler set-up in my oven is like this (the bottom 'compartment'):

http://www.appliance411.com/parts/modeldata/range-top-up.7.gif

Someone please give me hope.  Is it really not possible for me to make this style without a broiler on the 'ceiling' of the oven or without buying some sort of contraption (ie: pizza dome)??

The only gadget I'll buy is a pizza steel.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 02:30:57 AM »
Nope that broiler won't work, and the pizza dome isn't going to help either.

Neapolitan is about heat >850F, and that's not something you typically find in your kitchen. At best, mods and contraptions might kinda sorta get you close maybe if all the stars and planets align just right.

If you don't want to spend some money on an oven that can deliver the heat or do something dumb like hack the cleaning cycle or thermostat on your oven, it's probably not going to happen.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

wordpress