Author Topic: All trumps for neo dough  (Read 258 times)

Offline jrs86211

• I Love Pizza!
All trumps for neo dough
« on: September 22, 2016, 05:35:17 PM »
Has anyone used/ switched over from 00 to all trumps or another high gluten flour for neo pizzas? I know I know 00 is the classic and the go to flour but I like my all trumps flour the way it behaves and the overall texture of my finished product.  Any thoughts?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: All trumps for neo dough
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 06:45:13 PM »
It probably can be done, but you'll need to mind your P's and Q's, and it might not be very good. Because it's malted, it will brown really fast at Neapolitan temperatures.

I've tried Superlative/Full Strength in Neapolitan, and it's doable, but a decent unmalted AP flour will make a better Neapolitan pizza. I think AT would make for tough NP too, and tenderness is a hallmark of the style. If you are dead set on doing it, I'd suggest maybe a blend of 20% AT/80% Caputo Pizzeria or some other lower protein unmalted flour.

The pies below were made with GM Superlative (same as GM Full Strength) which is a mid-high protein malted flour. I was playing around with NY-NP baked at the low end of the Neapolitan heat spectrum. The bake time on these was probably 45-50 seconds at a much lower temp than I would normally have 55 second bakes. The bake time difference between the first and second set of pictures is probably 3 seconds. When the color breaks, it browns that fast with malted flour. I remember not particularly liking the pies.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jrs86211

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 09:43:56 PM »
That makes sense. Thank you Craig. My problem is I just started using 00 because I ordered a WFO. But at 65% hydration AT in my kitchen aid gets a tight ball and all the flour seems to get worked in and creates a nice dough. With the same hydration my 00 flour in my kitchen aid the flour water mixture pools at the bottom and the dough doesn't get kneaded by the machine it is literally just spinning it's wheels. :/.

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 10:01:48 PM »
That makes sense. Thank you Craig. My problem is I just started using 00 because I ordered a WFO. But at 65% hydration AT in my kitchen aid gets a tight ball and all the flour seems to get worked in and creates a nice dough. With the same hydration my 00 flour in my kitchen aid the flour water mixture pools at the bottom and the dough doesn't get kneaded by the machine it is literally just spinning it's wheels. :/.

use all trumps in a "neo dough" it'll be neopolitan americana like lucali.  it won't be real wood fire neapolitan anymore.  wood fire neapolitan has a unique light texture.  bake it too long with all trumps, it could also turn out like lombardi which is a cardboard pie that needs to be dipped in cappucino to eat.

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 10:15:57 PM »
jrs,

This is easy to fix without switching flour.

65 HR is usually too wet for Neapolitan 00...that flour just won't absorb as much water as All Trumps. Try 62 % and you should be good to go.

I love AT, and have used it successfully mixed with 00, but I couldn't call it an NP..This is somewhat  off your original topic, but   I've used 30% AT and 70% 00 and baked in the 700 range for about 3 mins, it makes a very nice tender, yet crisp pie, not NP, not NY but mighty tasty

Offline jrs86211

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 09:55:23 AM »
Excellent, thank you guys very much for the information! Really appreciate it!

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 10:29:29 AM »
But at 65% hydration......... With the same hydration my 00 flour in my kitchen aid the flour water mixture pools at the bottom and the dough doesn't get kneaded by the machine it is literally just spinning it's wheels. :/.

One can get a 65% HR with 00's pretty easily by using rest periods.  I do it hand mostly.  In a stand mixer I might start with the paddle. Mix roughly and then "squish" in all the water with your hand.  Cover and let rest for 15 to 20 min.  The idea is to get the flour pretty hydrated before you get to carried away with the kneading.

Knead for a minute or two, let rest for 5 min or so.  Repeat.  The dough will stat to come together better once the flour is hydrated.

wordpress