Author Topic: Almost-WFO-politans but baked in the home oven thread.....  (Read 38075 times)

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: Almost-WFO-politans but baked in the home oven thread.....
« Reply #240 on: July 30, 2011, 08:58:32 PM »
Robyn,will you use your new oven often for other foods besides pizza,or is the WFO going to be the spoiled child of the two?

;)

I discovered something today.I think it may have been why I did not see the temps go up like it did once.

The back ceiling of my oven has a exhaust/vent pipe.It releases heat under the rear burner element on top of the stove.I stuffed some foil in there a while back to stop the heat from escaping so much.I guess my wife removed the foil in the exhaust pipe few weeks back and I thought it was still blocked off.I had notice my oven was not getting as hot faster and I thought maybe it was just old from me using it so much.

I was seeing 200+ degrees F coming out of that vent when getting the oven hot today.Im going to block this off again and then see if theres a bit higher heat absorption into the stone plus oven temps.

Chau,sorry dont mean to go off topic here,just trying to duplicate some of the work that was done.

I will report my findings and hopefully if I can get the temps up a little more without the oven tricks just yet.I say I dont want to mess with the oven doing tricks,yet something keeps nagging me in the back of my mind saying,"DO IT BILL!".
 :-D

Btw,will foil help any used around the oven areas like the floors,walls and etc?? I see some folks use this.I dont use foil and wonder if it makes a nice difference when heating the stone on the bottom rack as well,right above the floor?

Thanks.

:)
-Bill

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #241 on: July 30, 2011, 10:19:46 PM »
I definitely will use it for other foods!  It will be interesting, because it's a serious "low-dome" oven - 38" diameter floor with the highest center of the dome at 10".  So we are limited in cooking height, but I'm sure we'll figure out how to make most things work.  Being an indoor oven, it will be more convenient to use often than a backyard one. 

Offline climbhighak

« Reply #242 on: August 25, 2011, 07:04:31 PM »
This magherita was done in my electric oven on a stone under a broiler. I did rush the preheat because I was hungry. The pie went on with the stone around 795F. Usually I wait until it gets to about 850F. The dough was a 62% hydration mix with a bit of sourdough tossed in for flavor. It had cold fermented 4 days. It cooked in about 2:30.

I like to drizzle with olive oil after baking and then also hit with a little bit of grated parm.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #243 on: August 25, 2011, 08:43:04 PM »
Climb,that looks fantastic! Nice work!
 8)
-Bill

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #244 on: August 25, 2011, 09:27:42 PM »
Wow, that is really a gorgeous pizza!!  Very impressive!

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #245 on: March 19, 2012, 11:42:27 PM »
made some pizza for the first time in a very long time.  Modified tartine method...65% hydration with 50/50 ap/kabf.  Had the pizza itch not the best pie in the world but good enough to eat.  4hr ferment at rt, balled and retarded for 12hrs at 40o. Then frozen for 24hrs(i messed up my schedule and accidently made the balls 18hrs in advance...dont know why i thought they would retard for 30hrs...oh well).  Th freezer did seem to mess with them too much i dont think, but the pizza did eat a bit tough after it cooled.

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #246 on: March 19, 2012, 11:42:58 PM »
crumb

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #247 on: March 19, 2012, 11:43:25 PM »
skirt

Offline David Deas

« Reply #248 on: March 20, 2012, 06:29:44 PM »
What a really cool thread.

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #249 on: March 20, 2012, 08:46:35 PM »

Agree, just read the whole thread myself.

RJelli :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #250 on: March 20, 2012, 10:09:36 PM »
You guys may also enjoy the Nearlypolitan thread as well.  

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10024.0.html

Nice job climbhighak and Wucactus!  I love that heavily leoparded look.

Offline David Deas

« Reply #251 on: April 10, 2012, 09:40:35 PM »
Been toying with my home oven over the past couple weeks after seeing this really neat thread.

I got an experimental Margherita baked in 40 seconds using a home oven that needed only 15 minutes to reach a floor temp of about 900 and a roof temp of ungodly.  Now I need to figure out how to post the images.  Suspect quality images, but images still.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #252 on: April 10, 2012, 09:44:46 PM »
Looking forward to your pictures David.   You'll have to resize the images on your computer to 600x800 or enough for web pages as there is a 128kb limit to each post.  I find that if I post 4 small pics, sometimes I can go back and edit the post and squeeze another picture in. 

I have made a few decent NP pies in the home oven.  And they use to say it couldn't be done without a wfo.   ::)  sure it's not the same, but it's pretty close and it's good enough for me. 

Offline David Deas

« Reply #253 on: April 10, 2012, 10:10:03 PM »
Well.  

There are some key modifications you need to make but it's certainly more than possible.  Posters here have already shown thermocouple isolation, which is one of those things that needs to be done.  Simply moving the thermocouple works well enough.

I have a standard 550 degree oven.

The first thing I noticed when examining the inside of the oven is that it's black.  This may not be ideal.  Although black colored objects typically have a high emissivity, they also have high absorption.  The entire oven interior, including the surface area behind the heating elements, is black.  Because the surface area behind the heating elements is black, that surface is probably going to do a fair job of absorbing radiation and dissipating that energy in the form of radiation, conduction and convection through to the outside of the oven.  This is not ideal.

Ideally you want the heating element to have a view factor of 1 with respect to the pizza, or the pizza stone.  Because the heating elements are round, the view factor is already significantly less.  To increase the effective view factor I mounted a very thin polished aluminum piece directly above the coils with a clearance of about 1 inch.  This will serve as a more effective reflecting surface so that the part of the radiation that would have been transmitted through and lost due to the black surface is now reflected back towards the stone.  Because of aluminum's other characteristics we don't need to worry about it melting unless it touches the heating elements directly.

The next thing I noticed was the size of the compartment I was trying to heat. It had to be reduced, leaving a relatively small compartment size that could be more effectively and efficiently heated.  Here aluminum foil works fine.  So fine in fact that while the top portion of the entire oven compartment is very hot, the bottom portion remains cool to the touch.

These minor modifications result in an oven that hits appropriate temperatures in about 15 minutes and can deliver enough BTU's to the stone surface to leapord a 12 inch pie finished in 40 seconds flat.  Perfect.  Just enough time to tear the basil and mozzarella.

I'll fool with the pictures tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:34:34 PM by David Deas »

Offline David Deas

« Reply #254 on: April 11, 2012, 09:52:36 AM »
OK.  Here it is, I think.  The first test firing in the slightly modified oven described above.  

40 second bake, timed with a stopwatch.  I did not expect it to cook this fast.  Needs a lot of work.  Liked the soupy interior.  Did not like the dough formulation.  Definitely need an adjusted dough for when baking that fast.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:58:06 AM by David Deas »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #255 on: April 11, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »
Fantastic David! Now that is an authentic neapolitan pie - not an "Almost..."

John

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #256 on: April 11, 2012, 10:01:42 AM »
I agree - very nice.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #257 on: April 11, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »
Beautiful job David.  One of the nicest ones I've seen from a home oven.  If you don't mind posting a shot of your oven setup, I'm sure lots of folks would like to duplicate it.

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #258 on: April 11, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »
OK.  Here it is, I think.  The first test firing in the slightly modified oven described above.  

40 second bake, timed with a stopwatch.  I did not expect it to cook this fast.  Needs a lot of work.  Liked the soupy interior.  Did not like the dough formulation.  Definitely need an adjusted dough for when baking that fast.

Dear David, it is very impressive what you have achieved with your electric oven! The way you modified your electric oven, per your brief description above, seems much simpler than the way I modified my gas oven. I look forward to more pizzas coming out of your oven. Good day!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline David Deas

« Reply #259 on: April 11, 2012, 08:45:22 PM »
Fantastic David! Now that is an authentic neapolitan pie - not an "Almost..."

John

Thanks.  That means a lot coming from one of the masters.

pizzapan