Author Topic: best pizza in NY/New england ?  (Read 3198 times)

Offline pm_italian

• I Love Pizza!
best pizza in NY/New england ?
« on: April 05, 2005, 01:37:41 AM »
My vote is pepe's in new haven

Offline Jeff

• I Love Pizza!
Re: best pizza in NY/New england ?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 10:34:26 AM »
my choices for best pizza in New England
                1.Sally's in New Haven -the absolute greatest pie anywhere.Service is mediocre at best,somewhat surly,and slow.However,the pie is worth the wait.Try broccoli rabe  in season,otherwise the cheese,onion,or white clam are divine.It's a small place that doesn't open until 4 or after.Be prepared to wait in line,especially on Friday and Saturday.    2.Pepe's IN New Haven.   3.Regina's in the North End of Boston-it won't disappoint.  4.Zuppardi's in West Haven,Connecticut--cheesy,crusty,overloaded home-made sausage  pie is the best(as with any pie,the large are always better and cook more evenly.        5.Jimmy's in Milford Connecticut--it is a take-out place but the former pizza chef from Zuppardi's makes an outstanding pie.                                Great pie is worth traveling for.-----Jeff                                                             

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 10:41:00 AM »
Jeff,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you ever tried Modern Apizza, at 874 State Street, New Haven, CT 06512, (203) 776-5306?
I have read that it is also one of the very good pizza places in the New Haven area.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 02:16:40 PM »
I have a ton of friends from New Haven, and have tried Modern myself a few times.  One of my friends likes Modern better than Pepe's/Sallys, but he is definitely in the minority.   The nice thing about this place is that you usually don't have to wait like you do at the Wooster st. pizzerias.   Modern is a little closer in style to Pepe's than Sally's, and is definitely a New Haven style pizza.   I would say this is the place to go if you happen to be driving through New Haven on a weekend evening and don't want to wait around all night.  Still a world class pizza for sure, but I choose to wait in line at Pepe's or Sally's if I have the time.
It is a LOT easier to get a pie at Pepe's than Sally's, unless it is the dead of winter or raining.  Pepe's has two locations (right next to each other) the other being called The Spot, and both locations will answer their phone for takeout. The pizza tastes pretty much the same at both locations.   Between The Spot and Pepe's there is just a much faster turnaround than what you get at Sally's.  Sally's is really small just a few tables and booths, and REALLY slow to turn out pies. Last time I was there I waited an hour and a half for seating, then another hour for them to make the pie once we had placed our order.  I went back to check out what was going on in the kitchen and they were moving in slow motion. As far as I can tell they will not even answer their phone for take out.  I have heard that  Sally's will answer their phone for about an hour each morning to accept reservations for that evening.  They try to keep this a secret to service locals and regulars.  It can really piss people off that have been waiting in line for two hours, and see a group of people walk right up and get seated.  The pie, though, is worth the wait.  I like the cheese better at Pepe's, but as a whole the Sally's pie is probably my favorite in New England.  I like the softer dough and the sauce better at Sally's.  The balance of the pie seems better at Sally's with just a slightly thicker crust (still thin crust, though) more sauce, and less cheese than Pepe's.  The Pepe's cheese is really something special, though.   If I could only figure out what they, and Vincent's in Pittsburgh are using my search would be over.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 05:51:17 PM »
I went to college in New Haven, so I had these alot. Sally's is better than Pepe's. Modern is nothing to write home about. For just a regular slice Naples pizza on Wall street is great. I'd kill for a walk in slice like that in Atlanta. Broadway pizza is great for greek style pizza, and Yorkside pizza is not far behind.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 03:25:51 AM »
So you grew up in New York,went to college in New Haven, and ended up in Atlanta.  No wonder you had to figure out how to make real pizza.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 12:17:42 PM »
yeah, it was killing me...

Offline enob

• I Really Really Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 02:09:49 AM »
Outside of NYC My vote is for Sally's also

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 03:32:47 AM »
I have recently found out that Modern has a special approach to an eggplant pie that the other New Haven places don't do.  It sounds like something that people should check out.

pizzapan