Author Topic: Newbie WFO questions and answers  (Read 40432 times)

Offline carbon

Re: Newbie WFO questions and answers
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 12:40:46 PM »
I'd like to put the oven right where that primo ceramic oven is.  I can always have a slab poured next to that area for the WFO and then it wouldn't be covered anymore. 

That's a very nice area there.  But judging strictly from your photos I personally would not put the oven where the primo is.  Your hearth slab is going to be rather large and may block access through your sliding door or obscure view.  It'll really cut down on your patio space there.  If your sliding door were a solid wall the oven in that location might work and look aesthetically pleasing.
I would pour a slab next to that area like you say.  That's what I would do.

George

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 12:18:03 AM »
George, that is good advice. I hadn't considered how big the oven would be and that aesthetically it wouldn't flow well in that spot. I'll have to take some more measurements and seriously consider extending the patio. If that were to be the final resting spot, would you guys have the opening of the oven facing the sliding glass door or parallel on the otherwise of the column?

Also are there a couple of good sites to buy the accessories from?

Offline carbon

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 01:27:06 AM »
If that were to be the final resting spot, would you guys have the opening of the oven facing the sliding glass door or parallel on the otherwise of the column?

That would depend on what the rest of your yard looks like and where outdoors you do most of your entertaining.  If you like to entertain out under the covered patio or out in the open yard I would centerpiece the oven facing the yard (parallel to the sliding door) or at a 45 degree angle so you have at least a partial view of the oven interior from your kitchen.  I don't think I would face it directly towards the sliding door unless the oven is placed farther out in the yard somewhere.

BTW, what size oven were you considering?

George
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:34:23 AM by carbon »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 07:24:44 AM »
Thx for the input George.  This is the front patio and as is I do very little entertaining here. When we have guests over we usually entertain in the backyard b/c it's more spacious.  But when coming through the rod iron gate entering the front patio. If the oven is parallel, then I would be looking at it's side and front as oppose to its back end.
My only issue with it parallel is that I would possibly have to have the entrance of the oven somewhat in line with the column so that it wouldn't be in the way when loading or unloading.

As far as the size, I still am unsure at this point. I'm hoping that the I.D. would be big enough so that I could also cook a NY-Neapolitan style pie further away from the fire.  That may just necessitate building a smaller fire though.  I'll only be making 10-12 pies at the most on any given bake though. 

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 05:23:39 PM »
Jackie,
I think you are really pushing the space there on your patio with a reasonably sized WFO.  My oven is also an Artigiano 100cm and the outside dimensions of the enclosure are roughly 6' x 6'.  by the time you figure in the insulation and hearth landing the thing gets pretty big.  I haven't tried a smaller oven but i wouldn't recommend it based on my experience.  My layout has about 7' x 7' clear operating area in front of the oven with a prep table adjacent to that on one side.  i can go from the table to the oven with a 5' long peel in one movement.  if you compress this area too much it will really cramp your style!  I built my oven on the end of an existing patio that is covered with an arbor.  the patio has a large table and it's really nice to be there cooking pizzas with friends. 

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 09:00:37 PM »
I would never put a WFO anywhere but in the primary area of entertainment outside.  If you are cooking pizza, the party is there.  If you build it on the front patio, that will be the gathering place when you cook.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 09:35:56 PM »
I agree with you guys that the small patio upfront is too close to the sliding glass door and would cramp my style.  Since I don't have a lot of it, I need to hang on to every bit I've got.  :-D

I may have  some concrete poured next to that area upfront and build it there.  I have a decent size patio in the back with a BIG water feature and that's where we entertain.  To make pizza there, I would have to get a rolling cart and load all my dough, ingredients, pizza paraphernalia and roll it from the kitchen across the formal dining room, across the living room, and out to the back patio.  It's not that big a deal, but I'm just trying to make the best decision once.   

Here are some pics of the back patio.

1) the long walk.  Pic taken from the kitchen through the formal dining room, living room, and out the back sliding glass door.

There are 2 areas with concrete in the back patio.  The area to the left is uncovered and the right sided is covered and is about 10 feet tall like the front.   
Pics 2) and 3) are of the oncovered spot.  4) is the covered portion.  The uncovered area would make for a nice spot but again 2 obstacles.

1) gotta sell the idea to the wife
2) rolling cart across the house.  Would likely turn to a once a week ritual? 

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 11:44:55 AM »
Maybe you should sell the idea to the daughter and put the WFO in place of the toys in the back :-D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 02:02:19 PM »
I have a long walk too, maybe 100 feet from kitchen, through one set of doors and around to the oven.  I also plan on using a cart, but it is 2 steps up from back patio to house, so it will stay outside.  Last weekend for the first time I took everything outside and built the pizzas there instead of walking them from the kitchen to oven on the peel.  It made a big difference.

The right side of the back patio looks good if you do not have a window in the way on that wall.

Offline MSK

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 09:53:40 AM »

I just recently put in a WFO, and would be a little worried about putting it under a covered patio, expecially if your wind patterns are unpredictable!

When I put in my oven I was worried about size, but as others have noted you do not need massive size when pizzas are done in 90 secs.  While I'm new at this, I don't even try to make more than one pie at a time, don't really need to.

I'm lucky enough to have a small fridge in my outdoor kitchen, that allows me to keep all my dough balls and ingredients at the site of the pizza oven, I did not know how much I'd love having that fridge for entertaining  when I put it in.

Mike

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 11:09:10 PM »
JT,
I would think Pipe definitely through the roof and  larger back area.Yes toys out- full kitchen in  :D   How about the Gas log spot right behind kitchen table above more toys? with some  modifications and $$ that looks like the ideal spot! I am also lucky enough to have built an entire outdoor kitchen (including the Lynxx 48" prosear grill)  to work from, and still find myself going in for the occasional, something. No matter where you put it. You will work it out, and based on your posts I would not discourage you from getting the Super duper model. But its a hard sell. Go for at minimum 36 inches inside as mentioned 42" low dome  is perfect for residential use. It takes a lot of room for the ingredients prep area Landing are etc... I have seen some beautiful ovens with no place to even make 2 pizzas and portable  PVC table set up for work surface?
Just think out all the possibilities. Lay it out with newspaper, on the ground to see the floor space it occupies and DO IT but dont rush it. Keep making those beauties in the home oven. 
JOHN
PS I also have a 4.75 year old and more ot those plastic toys and buildings than should be allowed by law !
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:25:10 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2010, 02:44:05 AM »
JConk - I have also briefly considered in indoor oven before but couldn't really come up with a good place to put it.  I've looked around the kitchen a bit and briefly considered moving the sink and placing it there....but that would be too much work re-routing things.

After reading your post, I decided to seriously consider that spot next to the fireplace.  It's definitely an option as  I can pipe the exhaust right through that wall to the outside easily.  So I pitched the idea to the wife and she said, "hmmm let me think about that for a bit...".

I then walked over to that area trying to imagine a WFO, turned around and what do I see?  The hutch area on the other side of the room.  Take a look... 

1) hutch area 70" across, 50" from the front to back.  Should be enough room for a WFO right?
2) otherside of the wall where that hutch is.  This is also part of the front patio.   I can probably vent straight up through the ceiling.  Nothing but tile and sky above that. 

Pluses:
-It's inside so I can bake whenever I want to.  Wouldn't have to contend with the elements.
-No taking long walks to the oven.  It would be right there next to my kitchen!
-would look really cool in the house.  It perhaps could be the perfect spot!  ;D

Minuses?
-heat up the house in the summer time?  But then again it would be a plus during the winter.
-a bit more costly than I had in mind.
-To the left of that hutch area leads to the front door.  To the right is the kitchen.   Would the oven block a bit of that archway leading to the front door?  Who cares right?  :-D

Thoughts???
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:31:36 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2010, 02:49:24 AM »
Another spot for the indoor oven in the formal dining room would be next to the fireplace Jconk suggested or in the other corner of the room.   

Also here is a pic of the sink area that I briefly considered placing the WFO and moving the sink somewhere...

The sink area looks into the formal dining room and you can see it in pic #2.

PaulsPizza

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2010, 05:20:50 AM »
Chau, I see your house is littered with those damn plastic toys too! :o
Feed some of those to your WFO! :-D (Can I send you some of the ones in my house too?) ;D

Paul

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2010, 09:03:15 AM »
chau,
for planning at this stage I would use a 6' square area for the oven and a 6' square area for work zone - with a prep table adjacent to one side of that area about 2' deep.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2010, 11:31:12 AM »
You should just plop one of these bad boys in your house. http://www.dissapore.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_3652.jpg.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2010, 11:40:21 AM »
Paul, I try to put a limit to their toys but I guess even kids need toys like their daddy.  :-D

Wheelman - thanks for the dimensions,  looks like that spot is definitely big enough for a WFO.   I can build a work station to the left of the oven against the wall (next to the arch) or just use that area that extends beyond the sink into the dining room.   That's maybe a 5 foot walk to the oven.   I can also build pies on the dining room table.  These places wouldn't be ideal if we were eating at the table. 

David, those are cool!  Remind how much they go for again?  ::)

I think I want a low ceiling oven.  Not sure if it will be worth it to build it myself or buy a prefab.  I'm sure advantages and disadvantages to both.

Chau

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2010, 12:12:16 PM »
Chau, not to rain on your parade, but....  Your going to carry the firewood into the house and then carry the ashes out?  Also the vent (flue, I believe) is at the top front of the oven.  Your going to vent that to the outside?  Just curious.  Pre-fab units are available from Chicago Brick Oven, but they don't say about putting one in the home.  http://www.chicagobrickoven.com/brick_oven_products.html

During startup, before the oven starts to draft correctly, I'll bet smoke comes out the mouth of the oven.  And while your back is turned a hot ember jumps out onto the floor?  I personally wouldn't take the risk.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2010, 12:40:34 PM »
David, those are cool!  Remind how much they go for again?  ::)

External diameter cm. 110
Inside diameter cm. 80
Euro:5,000

External diameter cm. 140
Inside diameter cm. 105
Euro:6,000

::)

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2010, 12:57:18 PM »
Chau, not to rain on your parade, but....  Your going to carry the firewood into the house and then carry the ashes out?  Also the vent (flue, I believe) is at the top front of the oven.  Your going to vent that to the outside?  Just curious.  Pre-fab units are available from Chicago Brick Oven, but they don't say about putting one in the home.  http://www.chicagobrickoven.com/brick_oven_products.html

During startup, before the oven starts to draft correctly, I'll bet smoke comes out the mouth of the oven.  And while your back is turned a hot ember jumps out onto the floor?  I personally wouldn't take the risk.

All good points Jet deck.  I know very little about WFO's and have much researching to do.  A little while back my wife and I were house hunting and walked into a home with a WFO in the kitchen.  I didn't look at it carefully but figure it's been done before therefore these things can be worked out. 

That's why I'm posting here.  To get ideas, warnings, precautions, expert advice, etc.   Thanks for the input.  I haven't decide this is what I will do, just that this spot seemed to be a perfect spot for an oven. 

As far as carrying wood and removing ash, I'd have to do that no matter where the oven is, inside or out.  As far as keeping wood in the house, maybe a big bin under the oven with a tight fitting lid to keep any bugs from getting in or out. 

I'm sure there is an electrical fan/vent I can install (somehow) to vent the smoke out during the initial startup much like a vent oven the home stove.  I can also place a screened cover around the opening to prevent embers from jumping out. 

Keep the ideas coming guys.   For the time being, I'm making some pretty good pies in the MBE, so I may not need one of these.  :-D  I want one though.  ;D
Chau
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 01:02:08 PM by Jackie Tran »

pizzapan