Author Topic: Newbie WFO questions and answers  (Read 38206 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Newbie WFO questions and answers
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2010, 01:29:15 PM »
I may not need one of these.  :-D  I want one though.  ;D

Its like Jay Leno, he doesn't need 100 something cars, he just has to have them.

On the smoke coming out of the oven entrance. I don't think you would need a fan or anything if the oven is inside the house. There wouldn't be any wind blowing around like outside so the smoke wouldn't come flying out the entrance. Same thing like in a pizzeria just goes straight up and out.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »
Mugnaini has a bunch of photos of inside installations: http://www.mugnaini.com/taxonomy/term/29

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2010, 09:05:57 AM »
JT,
 I like that area as well should work fine. Bottom Line is anything is possible. When you go inside your costs $$ go up quite quickly, and there will be some smoke issues at some point. Never mind the permitts etc.. With The money spent could get you on of those top of the line beauties posted by Brickstone. You will become worthy very quickly I am sure, and the Bosch will be a burnin  :-D  My next house will have a carefully planned indoor WFO in the kitchen area will design the kitchen around it ! but that may be
Good luck planning there are many other good woodfired sites worth a look for ideas as well.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2010, 01:11:34 PM »
Chau put it on the first patio you took pictures of. here is a pre assembled oven from forno bravo that you can have a stand built for it and if you ever have to leave your house you can take it with you . building one in your house will cost way more then $3,500.The best time to build a wfo in the house is when your building the house and it is designed to accommodate it. have fun fc
Toscana90 Assembled 36" Pizza Oven
See details    Toscana90 Assembled 36" Pizza Oven

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2010, 01:27:07 PM »
Thanks guys, I was figuring it would cost a lot more.  Really just the additional cost of having it vented through the ceiling and then maybe some nice brick/rock structure built around it like those fancy fire places.   Hmmm.....decisions decisions...

FCbuilder - so your vote is for the front patio over the back patio correct?

The other questions I had for anyone with a WFO in an enclosed space is that if I decide to cook ribs or a brisket with the residual heat, do you think it would smell up the house if the WFO is inside?  Or would most of the aromas get vented out if I covered up mouth of the WFO? 

Thanks a lot.

Chau

Offline carbon

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2010, 01:39:23 PM »
I agree.  Retrofitting a wfo to an existing kitchen can be costly, including many modifications required to the kitchen to meet code.  I think the most practical way to add a wfo is if you have a large empty kitchen wall where there is nothing behind it but the outdoors.

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2010, 01:39:54 PM »
Is that patio in the front of the house? if so probably not ,you will be having a gathering of people watching you cook and also you will have to make pizzas for the whole neighborhood!! then the other patio would be my spot. fc

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2010, 01:48:05 PM »
Yes it's the front patio.  Not a ton of space.  i would have to pour a slab next to the spot where the primo grill sits.    It would be a nice direct route to the kitchen just beyond the sliding glass door.

The backyard is a nice option as well.  Spacious and i can put in a small kitchen back there or bar area with a small fridge for keeping ingredients cold until the bake. 

I have considered building or having one built on a rolling cart so should I ever have to move I can take it.  These things are pretty heavy by the time it is all said and done right?  Are we looking at a cart that can hold 600-800lbs? maybe more? 

I was thinking of a cart made out of synthetic wood.  Or have a custom stainless steel cart made.   If it's on a cart, I can move it around the backyard a bit until we decide on the final spot and have the bar area attached to it.  Then i can just brick around the oven to hide the cart.

Thanks a lot for everyone's input.  It's very helpful. 

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2010, 01:50:10 PM »
I just took this picture of my setup . The girls had to be in the picture..oops there's a boy in the picture also. :-D

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2010, 01:53:46 PM »
Chau,

You are aware that you live in an area which enforces a "no-burn program" during certain days in the winter?

http://www.cabq.gov/airquality/noburn.html

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »
I agree.  Retrofitting a wfo to an existing kitchen can be costly, including many modifications required to the kitchen to meet code.  I think the most practical way to add a wfo is if you have a large empty kitchen wall where there is nothing behind it but the outdoors.

If I have it built into that hutch space it technically won't be in the kitchen but in the dining room.   The dining room is sort of triangular in shape with the base being the wall next to that fireplace.   The point of the triangle is where that hutch area is.  

Both areas have nothing but outdoors on the otherside.  If doing an indoor setup, I was thinking either an oven built by my hands or a prefab on a steele cart, then having brick or river rock structure built around the oven.

FCbuilder - that is a NICE looking setup.  Cute kids too.  Thanks for sharing that.  

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2010, 01:58:34 PM »
Chau,

You are aware that you live in an area which enforces a "no-burn program" during certain days in the winter?

http://www.cabq.gov/airquality/noburn.html

No...and crap!  :-[  Must be why my fireplaces are gas.   :-D  Thanks Bill- I'll do some reading. 
I may just have to do MBE bakes on those days.

Chau
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:00:10 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2010, 02:46:25 PM »
Thanks chau there a handfull but also a lot of fun as you know already. The research ,design and build are a fun process, but it would also be nice to have everything done and ready to make pizza's.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2010, 03:06:14 PM »
800 pounds won't touch it.  I wouldn't worry about portability.  it will compromise much of what you do now and you will end up leaving it anyway.  it should increase the value of the property though. 
For us, one of the best things about having a WFO is the evenings outdoors cooking and eating pizza under the arbor with friends.  especially now, when it's prime Pizza Weather! 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2010, 02:10:20 AM »
800 pounds won't touch it.  I wouldn't worry about portability.  it will compromise much of what you do now and you will end up leaving it anyway.  it should increase the value of the property though. 
For us, one of the best things about having a WFO is the evenings outdoors cooking and eating pizza under the arbor with friends.  especially now, when it's prime Pizza Weather! 

Alright it's settled.  I want to cook and eat pizza outdoors the way nature intended.  Gonna build one in the backyard patio.

I got a buddy who's got a wetsaw and knows how to lay brick and tile.  He's gonna teach me and we are gonna build me an oven a la Forno Bravo style like member Ev.   It's starting to get cool around here.   Probably have a month left before it gets cold.   Do you guys think I should wait until next spring/summer to build it?  Or hurry my @ss up and get 'er done?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2010, 07:44:41 AM »
Great news, Chau. If you do nothing else before the winter, I would prepare the ground. If you are going to pour concrete in cold weather, you need to keep an eye on the temps. I know they pour foundations around here in the dead of winter using additives, blankets, etc., even on frozen ground - but that always seemed like a bad idea to me. I've never tried it.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:48:12 AM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2010, 07:55:53 AM »
Chau,

I agree with Bill that it is good news that you are going to build an oven.  If you want to build an oven like Steve (Ev) did, I am sure he would help you on how he went about building the oven.  His WFO is really nice.  He also never did any masonry work before he build his oven.  From the few bakes of pizza in his oven I saw, that oven really bakes great.  From my limited experience with Steve’s WFO, the pies are so much better when they are baked in a WFO.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2010, 08:16:22 AM »
If I remember correctly, I think my friend said that you can do concrete work when its cold but you have to mix more calcium into the mix or something like that.  I think I'll get a hold of a few plans and do some homework and go from there.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2010, 11:48:49 AM »
Or hurry my @ss up and get 'er done?
I vote for the hurry up and get it done. (with appropriate research, etc)

Forum party at JT's place. :-D :chef: :-D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2010, 11:59:55 AM »
One other thing, you might consider purchasing some wood right away.  One maufacturors WFO site recommends wood that has been cut for 2 years.  That might be an extreme, but if you get some wood bought now, you can at least get it under a tarp or shelter to keep any precipitation off of it until you need it.  It might save you a headache sometime down the road. Just my .02     ;D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

pizzapan