Author Topic: Newbie WFO questions and answers  (Read 45771 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Newbie WFO questions and answers
« Reply #500 on: May 27, 2011, 01:04:18 AM »
Thank you Robyn.  ;) 

Well the granite came in this week and it looks AWESOME!   Now the guys can continue bricking the upper enclosure.   The arch was made from a chocolate colored brick and looks fantastic as well.   I'll save the pictures for when the project is 100% completed which won't be long now.   

We are starting to run short on the veneer brick so we may have to order some more.  Yikes! 

On call this weekend and maybe bbq'ing so not sure when the next bake will take place.  Maybe Next Monday or even next weekend.

Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #501 on: May 28, 2011, 06:31:56 PM »
So the guys finished bricking the oven enclosure yesterday and cleaned up a bit.  Here are the final pictures.   The granite is covered in dust at the moment so I'll post some pics of the granite when it was first installed last week.

The last picture is taken from within the house through the sliding glass door.

Chau

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #502 on: May 28, 2011, 06:43:31 PM »
 >:( >:( I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:( >:(

;D
Congrats, dude. That looks awesome! I wish you many many years of enjoyment with your outdoor kitchen, sir.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

parallei

« Reply #503 on: May 28, 2011, 07:01:58 PM »
That will be great fun to cook and entertain at Chau.  Enjoy!

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #504 on: May 28, 2011, 07:06:08 PM »
Looks Great C,
Congratulations!

Matt

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #505 on: May 28, 2011, 07:21:20 PM »
Holy Hell! Thats incredible! THATS A TEMPLE!
 :o   8)  8)  8)

I also love the pic with the mountains in the background.Did not know you guys had a view like that out there.

Super nice man...wow.Never thought it would turn out that nice.

-Bill

Offline pennygirl

« Reply #506 on: May 28, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Bhaha!!! Game. Over.

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #507 on: May 28, 2011, 08:11:45 PM »
Wow!!! That looks great.  Looking forward to many great pizza pics!

Scott D.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #508 on: May 28, 2011, 10:06:23 PM »
No problems with the Granite  ??? JUST KIDDING Chau . Bake em up!! That was a quick 6 months  ;D
Looks fantastic!  I hope this thread will inspire many to take the plunge into the Wonderful World of Wood!!
Enjoy your new domain
JOHN
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:10:18 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #509 on: May 28, 2011, 11:08:40 PM »
Chau,

Congrats!  Everything looks beautiful!    :)

Norma

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #510 on: May 28, 2011, 11:46:31 PM »
Holy crapola that looks nice. You have so much counter space, I'm jealous.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #511 on: May 29, 2011, 12:39:22 AM »
Wow - you must be thrilled!! Love the granite.  The whole setup is beautiful, and the background is too.  Enjoy it!!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #512 on: May 29, 2011, 12:43:44 AM »
Thanks gang!  8)

Bill - the mountains.  I forget they are there sometimes but I did miss them when we lived in the east coast and in Texas though.

John, funny you should ask about the granite.  My wife was so nervous when they brought in that big piece that goes over the bar area.   It took 5 guys to lift and mount that thing and they said it is 1000 lbs!

Anywho, when they took the measurements for the granite, they measure out the area for the oven landing before it was built up (in it's present state).  With their original measurements, they had it leveled with the counter space so they cut out a corner piece from the left side to make it fit into the counter!  After they showed up and saw that the landing area had been raised oh 5 inches or so, the landing had a damn corner cut out!  Well this granite is called supreme gold and is kinda rare and we can't get anymore of it at this time.  It only shows up every now and then, so we are told.

Luckily, they were able to shave off that corner, move the landing over to center it and recut the arch in the center.  The landing piece still hangs over the veneer rock but just a wee bit on both sides but all is well.  I almost had a dang heartattacK!   :-D

So there is your granite story.  

Yes, I'm so glad I didn't have to do the project all by myself.  Watching 4 guys cut and trim the stone pieces and fitting them together made me realize it would have taken me ages to complete the project.  I'll stick to what I know and that's not construction.  

David, we are lucky to have the space in the backyard for this ODK.  To make it spacious and still achieve a sense of balance in the yard.   I was also very please to have a lot of counter space for my Primo ceramic grill/smoker to the right of the WFO.  

Chau

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #513 on: May 29, 2011, 08:16:47 AM »
wow!! that is beautiful. compliments on your design and color choices. you should have a pizzamaking.com wood fired school at you home. :D

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #514 on: May 29, 2011, 08:58:01 AM »
Chau,

That is a stunning design and it fits in seamlessly with your surroundings. With that baby you will have to think twice about moving if that ever becomes an issue. Of course, plan B is to take your LBE and MBE with you :-D.

Peter

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #515 on: May 29, 2011, 09:14:58 AM »
great space Chau! that ODK will be the perfect studio for your art.
i like that they got the oven landing to match the oven floor.  that takes a lot of planning with the myriad layers of slabs, insulation, floor etc. 
bill   

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #516 on: May 29, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »
Thank you Larry, Peter, and Bill. 

Larry, I wonder if this is how so many new businesses are started?  See one, do one, teach one?  :-D

Peter, this one is staying put.  Hopefully the oven engine will last just as long.   ;D  WFO's are quite addicting.   Although I wouldn't want to go through the process again anytime soon, I already have ideas for the next one should I ever have to move. 

Bill, the guys that did much of this project are quite creative.  They have a lot of experience in building homes and smaller projects but this was their first WFO project.  To build the oven landing area up, they cut out multiple pieces of concrete board and sandwiched them together with concrete screws and attached it the same way to the concrete slab on top the base.   When the granite was glued down onto the oven landing area, it is flushed with the vent landing and oven floor.   You can see how the oven landing was built up it in this picture below. 

Chau

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #517 on: May 29, 2011, 08:22:44 PM »
Welcome to the world of cooking outdoors, you will enjoy it, and you have a great space in which to do so.

Offline carbon

« Reply #518 on: May 30, 2011, 02:19:26 PM »
Bravo!!  Now that's one beautiful set up!  That ODK is going to weather gracefully and will look even better down the road....

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #519 on: May 30, 2011, 06:24:56 PM »
That is just awesome. I don't know what else there is to say.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #520 on: May 31, 2011, 01:34:55 PM »
Thank you Larry, Peter, and Bill.  

I already have ideas for the next one should I ever have to move.  

Such as?

Did you not fire up that beauty over the weekend?  Show us the pizzas!

AZ
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:38:35 PM by ponzu »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #521 on: May 31, 2011, 09:52:55 PM »
Thank you very much guys!   And a big thanks to all the experts and experienced members who joined in to discuss various aspects of the build.  It all helped a lot and made the build process go smoother.

Alexi, unfortunately I wasn't able to fire her up this pass weekend.  I was oncall the whole weekend and we already had a BBQ planned.  

I'm going to plan on having different ppl show up every other weekend or so, so I have an excuse to fire the oven.   I can't justify firing her up for just 2 pizzas.   In the meantime, I'll continue with the dough experiments in the LBE.  

As far as doing things different:

-I would spend the extra for real stone and not brick veneer.  I would also make sure the stone matches what I ordered before installing it.  
-As far as an oven goes.  Hopefully by then there will be many more choices to choose from.  Robyn's FGM oven looks like a really nice contender.
-I would maybe install an ash dump towards the front of the vent landing.  
-hopefully I will grow into the 40" oven.  As of now, I think the 36" would have been plenty for me.
-Plan for more time for the project to absorb unexpected delays.  

Not too much else.  I would say overall, the project was hugely successful and the guys we picked for this project did an outstanding job.  I couldn't have picked better guys for the project.  

Chau

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #522 on: May 31, 2011, 10:13:34 PM »
Funny!  My FGM came with an ash dump that I am refusing to install as I think it's ugly - it looks like a mailbox!  You want it?   :P

Here's a crummy photo of the display model with it's ash dump installed.  Blech.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #523 on: May 31, 2011, 10:34:37 PM »
Chau,
Excellent   points on the build. Natural stone turned out much cheaper for me but time was not an issue.  Also I really like my home size Earthstone 90 now that I have some experience, if I do 2 at a time its a lot, and often do parties for 20+ people. My new oven is 40" and planning on 3- 12's in there no problem! after that it becomes a serious dance of the turning peel anyway. Some people I spoke to said they never did an event where the 40" was not enough If its offeed yes gotta have it. I am hoping I need a 48" sooner than later  ;)
ps- I used the excuse of one more break in fire and use the leftover dough balls to make just 6 pies today

Robyn,
Rain sleet snow or shine the ashes must go in! I agree kinda silly but if you can just stick it on when you clean out it makes sense? I used to vacuum out ever single ash after each burn. No whatever I get with the shovel is fine. The little leftover ashes I cant scoop  stay on board.  No matter how long I burn sometines 8 hrs! I only end up with about 3 shovels full if that. Just close the door and let her go
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #524 on: May 31, 2011, 10:42:17 PM »
Robyn, I just thought it would be a good idea, but if you say it's ugly I'll take your word for it.    ;)
Ash removal is easy as John says and it's not absolutely necessary to have the inside spotless before the bake. 

John, I meant to ask why you are experimenting with 100% 00 and a lower hydration?  Are you bored or is something missing from your pies?   Me - I'm bored and always looking to learn new things. 

I am mixing dough tonight for Wednesday night's pizza.......in the LBE.  wah - wah.  :-\ :-D