Author Topic: Newbie WFO questions and answers  (Read 39926 times)

Offline carbon

Re: Newbie WFO questions and answers
« Reply #540 on: June 28, 2011, 01:40:38 PM »
Ribs or some sort of roast always on day 3.  I hate to see residual heat go to waste.....:)))

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #541 on: July 03, 2011, 11:16:58 PM »
I hate to see residual heat go to waste.....:)))

Yup me too!  I tend to be on the frugal side and very excited to make a new discovery tonight.  Found out that I can make my own lump charcoal!  

I have a Primo ceramic grill for grilling and smoking meats and have been buying lump charcoal for it from Sam's/Costco for $14 for a 40lb bag.   For those who don't know, lump charcoal is made from hardwoods like oak and mesquite.   They are fired with low heat to burn off the noxious gases and then are carbonized.   Lump charcoal burns cleaner than the charcoal briquettes that are typically used in charcoal grills.

Anyway after a pizza bake, I have just been putting the door on and letting the coals burn out slowly overnight and turning into ash.  

Well I just discovered that if I shovel them out into a metal bin and closed the lid down tight and let the charcoal burn itself out, the next day I have awhole bunch of useable lump charcoal.   I can re-use this in my ceramic grill.

Of course I'm storing the hot coals in a bin that is pushed deep inside my WFO base where kids and small animals can't get near so there is no chance of anyone getting burned.  

This lump charcoal can also be used in any charcoal grill that takes briquettes.  You don't have to have a ceramic grill to use lump charcoal. 

Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #542 on: July 12, 2011, 11:57:36 PM »
Had a bake today.  Not sure what was going on but I decided to bake on the left side of the oven today.  heat up times down to 1 hour!   :D

My IR was acting a bit funny.  The laser was shooting off to the left and not straight.  ???  But temps seem to be accurate.  After 1 hour, I got temps of 1000+ on the floor.  Let it cool down to 900 to bake.

NP pies still baked right at 1 min and they were on the darkside.

Also my father's day gift finally came in the mail today.  My wife got me a plaque for the ODK.   ;D

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #543 on: July 13, 2011, 12:55:16 AM »
That's a great sign, bro. Maybe will be hanging over a shop door someday? Maybe? :)
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #544 on: July 13, 2011, 07:38:55 AM »
Cool sign Chau!!!

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #545 on: July 13, 2011, 08:01:02 AM »
That's so cool!  8)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #546 on: July 13, 2011, 08:15:08 AM »
Chau,

I also love your sign!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #547 on: July 13, 2011, 12:27:20 PM »
Awwww - very cute!!! 

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #548 on: July 13, 2011, 03:42:29 PM »
that is a great sign. i can see that as a store logo. you maybe the next hobbyist to enter the business. oh, on another note you were 100% right in pushing forno bravo for a new dome . this thing is ridiculous. i am going to get it to work and it is for a trailer so all is good. if i was planing on using it for a permanent build it would nor be acceptable.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #549 on: July 13, 2011, 04:14:39 PM »
Thanks all.  Larry I hope you can get it to work.   I think once you have it sealed and insulated, it should be okay.   Plz keep me posted.

Chau

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #550 on: July 14, 2011, 08:42:56 AM »
After 1 hour, I got temps of 1000+ on the floor.  Let it cool down to 900 to bake.

Chau,

I'm curious about this. How long did it take for the deck to cool 100 degrees? Here's why I ask: I've found that it is one thing to measure a given a deck temp and another thing to get enough heat stored in the oven to be able to bake several pies over the period of an entire meal. For example, I can probably get the deck temp up to 900F after an hour and a half, but even with a nice fire going on the side, the temp can drop pretty quickly after the first pie. But if I fire the oven for maybe 3 hours, I can easily maintain the deck at 900F.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #551 on: July 14, 2011, 01:42:40 PM »
Chau,

I'm curious about this. How long did it take for the deck to cool 100 degrees? Here's why I ask: I've found that it is one thing to measure a given a deck temp and another thing to get enough heat stored in the oven to be able to bake several pies over the period of an entire meal. For example, I can probably get the deck temp up to 900F after an hour and a half, but even with a nice fire going on the side, the temp can drop pretty quickly after the first pie. But if I fire the oven for maybe 3 hours, I can easily maintain the deck at 900F.

Bill, I didn't time the cool down but it wasn't long, 5-10m once I stopped loading more wood on.  I did not load more wood after the first pie and temps were still 850-ish.  Since I am the only one eating the NP pies, I typically only make 2.   So I haven't been too concerned about maintaining temps.  After the NP pies, I typically let the temps drop to 700-750 to cook the hybrid pies.   If I was baking all NP pies, I'm sure the heat up times would be longer. 

I have an idea bill.  Bring some dough over and we can bake 6-8 NP pies back to back and time everything. ;)

Chau

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #552 on: July 14, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »
And post everything too please  ;D
I have dough for 70 pizzas (24.68 lbs of flour) in the fridge mixed up in the Diving Arm,  man that thing is sweeet . after a 20 Min autolyse, I cut down the mix time to 6 min.,  then rest 3 min., then mix 1 more minute low speed which is really low! . Dough felt great. Will be a balling fool tomorrow ! 1st pie in friday 8 pm !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #553 on: March 31, 2012, 10:02:34 PM »
I finally got off the forum and did something useful today.  ::)  Wife had me hang up some lights over the WFO.  It gives our Tuscan style home a more Italian feel and it added much needed light over the WFO and ceramic grill/smoker.  Now I can cook outdoors and see what the heck I'm doing!

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #554 on: March 31, 2012, 10:13:25 PM »
Oooooh, pretty pretty!! That looks really nice! 

Lighting adds so much to an environment - that really sparkles up your patio  ;D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #555 on: March 31, 2012, 10:23:14 PM »
What a brite Idea  ;)
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #556 on: April 01, 2012, 12:29:07 PM »
Very nice Chau. You did a beautiful job designing your outdoor kitchen. It works perfectly with your house. The light really tie it all together!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #557 on: April 01, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »
Looks nice, Chau!
I could really use some lights myself.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #558 on: April 01, 2012, 02:23:48 PM »
Chau,

I agree that the lights look really nice!  8)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #559 on: April 01, 2012, 11:22:58 PM »
That looks GREAT Chau!

8)
-Bill