Author Topic: Emergency.....Questions!!!  (Read 1118 times)

Offline onemsmom

• This is why I make pizza!
Emergency.....Questions!!!
« on: September 03, 2010, 05:57:50 PM »
First, I was at the Ital. Grocery today & thought I'd splurge & buy the fresh mozz.  (at $6.99/lb I might add).  I just tasted tested & it has no flavor whatsoever.  Is that how it is supposed to taste?  ??? I'm making a pizza for a friend tonight & want it to be great.  Should I use the tried & true Sargento instead??? 

Second, I am delivering the pizza to said friend - 10 minutes away.  How best to transport?  A cardboard box like the pros?  If so - covered or not??

Thanks - I've got about 15 min. to figure this out - hope you're not all busy making your own Friday night pizzas!

Jenn

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Emergency.....Questions!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 06:18:06 PM »
Jenn, unfortunately the best melting and looking cheeses aren't always the best tasting either.  To dress up the cheese I like to sprinkle a bit of grated parmesan or romano to add flavor to a flavorless cheese.   Finding the cheese you like can be a bit of a quest.  I would mix 1/2 and half if you want to or add a bit of salt to the italian cheese.  Going with what you know and what is tried and true is always a sure bet as well. 

Sorry I haven't transported pizza yet, but would think some foil or a box is ok.  I would crisp it up in their oven after you get there for a fresh taste.   Also slice it there at their house. 

Good luck!

Chau
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 06:20:42 PM by Jackie Tran »

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 06:25:22 PM »
I wrap with aluminum foil loosely to transport.
Don

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 06:29:06 PM »
Cold fresh mozzarella can have little flavor. Bring it ALL the way up to room temp and see if the flavor improves. 

scott123

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 06:36:15 PM »
Should I use the tried & true Sargento instead???

For NY style, yes.

Offline onemsmom

• This is why I make pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 07:19:20 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Since I didn't get a post back in time for the 1st pie, I put the fresh mozz on my own pie - I did remember (from a previous thread) that Jackie Chan had said he dusted his with parm, so I did that.  It was still lackluster, but after I threw some Locatelli on, it was o.k.  I used Sargento on my friend's pizza, so I'm sure that one was better.

That pie (the friend's - cheese only) was a little soupy in the middle.  What would cause that?  Too much sauce?  Too much cheese?  Not enough time on the cooling rack?  Hmmmmm.

Jenn

Offline newsmike

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 07:23:14 PM »
I seem to remember a vendor that sold pizza boxes just like all the delivery places use. Anyone remember the vendor's info?

Offline Gags

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 07:26:45 PM »
I seem to remember a vendor that sold pizza boxes just like all the delivery places use. Anyone remember the vendor's info?

I know people have gotten them at Restaurant Depot, but you need a biz license to sign up there...
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline newsmike

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 07:31:13 PM »
I know people have gotten them at Restaurant Depot, but you need a biz license to sign up there...

I just found this link. They have generic ones, and if you wanna get fancy you can have custom artwork. Either way a box is a really nice touch when bringing pizza to someone.

http://www.starpizzabox.com/

Offline newsmike

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Since I didn't get a post back in time for the 1st pie, I put the fresh mozz on my own pie - I did remember (from a previous thread) that Jackie Chan had said he dusted his with parm, so I did that.  It was still lackluster, but after I threw some Locatelli on, it was o.k.  I used Sargento on my friend's pizza, so I'm sure that one was better.

That pie (the friend's - cheese only) was a little soupy in the middle.  What would cause that?  Too much sauce?  Too much cheese?  Not enough time on the cooling rack?  Hmmmmm.

Jenn

Jenn,

In my experience, the middle of the pie needs the lightest touch of sauce.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 07:35:32 AM »
Restaurant supply stores have the boxes. I pay about $15 for a pack of 50. In a pinch, you could offer to buy a box or two from a local pizza shop. Chances are they'll just give it to you. At least it worked that way for me.