Author Topic: dough ball price?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline onemsmom

• This is why I make pizza!
dough ball price?
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:31:11 AM »
Before I lug 2 kids around Sam's pricing my ingredients, has anyone else already done the math?

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much it costs to make a dough ball?

I used the 50lb bag of baker's flour, IDY (which I bought in a 2 brick package) & EVOO from Sam's & Realsalt (sea salt). 

I don't need anything exact - just so I know about how much to charge my friend for a couple of dough balls.   

p.s.   I'll add a few extra pennies for the zip-loc bags, electricity & a nominal fee for the 22+ hours I've logged on this site on research.  ;)

Thanks a lot,

Jenn

Online scott123

Re: dough ball price?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:14:06 PM »
One 16" skin weighs about 460 g, of which about half a pound is flour

I pay $18 for a 50 lb of All Trumps, but I'm guessing you're paying less for Sam's.  Does $14 sound about right?

$14 / 50 lb. = .28/lb.

= .14/ 1/2 lb.

That same skin uses about 1/4 t. yeast

I pay $5 for 1 lb. of ADY which gives me 142 1/4 t. servings

$5 / 142 = .04/serving

2% oil translates into about a teaspoon's worth. I use soybean oil for NY style pizza, but, if I were using evoo, I pay $2 for a 90 t. container

$2 / 90 = .02

Salt, even sea salt, isn't going to cost more than a couple cents.

Grand total:

22 cents for one 460 g dough ball.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 12:17:14 PM by scott123 »

Offline onemsmom

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:25:37 PM »
That's amazing!  Starting out, I would never have guessed it would cost so little to make my own dough!  Usually, my little kitchen projects are MUCH more expensive than that! :-D

Thanks, Scott!

Online scott123

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 12:52:57 PM »
Yup, dough is cheap.  The cheese is where it starts to add up. IF I can get a good sale on cheese (and lately that's a really big if), then I get the 11 oz. I use per pie for about $1.50.  And then, of course, you've got your pepperoni.  I tend to go a little light on that (1/6 lb. per pie), but that's still another dollar.  The tomatoes are 40 cents.

So, $3.15 per pie, of which only 25 cents is the dough.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:20:40 PM by scott123 »

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 01:05:50 PM »
2.40 a lb for hormel pepperoni if you go through a food service, i think it was 10lb cases with 2 bags each.  same with sausage and bacon.    chicken and ez-beef are 4/lb.    food service cheese is under 2/lb, usually between 1.60 for cheap low-grade cheese and 1.92 is the highest i've seen custom blends through pennmac
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline onemsmom

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 01:26:45 PM »
So, why are they charging $15 a pepperoni pizza at the local yummy tasting pizza place?  The cost of the wood fire oven?  Rent?   Liability? Wages? Supplies?  Utilities?  Does it all really add up to that much extra a pie?

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 01:36:55 PM »
So, why are they charging $15 a pepperoni pizza at the local yummy tasting pizza place?  The cost of the wood fire oven?  Rent?   Liability? Wages? Supplies?  Utilities?  Does it all really add up to that much extra a pie?

if you pay $10 for the pizza and you like it, you'd probably pay $15 for the same pizza if prices went up, right?     ownership greed.  i used to manage a shop where the owner went from a $7.41(tax) large with a free topping (which we sold to make $1500+ days almost every day) to 14.03(tax) and you paid for your toppings, and wondered why he was down to 4000 a week.  pissed off all of his customers, and kept changing products left and right and customers just got sick of the outrageous prices and out of stock issues and stopped ordering.

if food cost and labor puts your total cost at 50%, that $10 pizza is only bringing in $5.   if it's upped to $15 a pizza, it's now bringing in $10.  you just doubled your profit.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:39:01 PM by c0mpl3x »
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 03:25:40 PM »
Jenn, I think I paid around $16 for the 50lb bag of SC HG flour. 

I was in AZ last weekend and ate at Grimaldi's before I left.  We ordered 2 personal 12" pies with a few toppings each and 2 diet cokes.  My wife had the chicken roasted pepper pie with white garlic sauce.  I had a pepperoni and mushroom pie.  Ticket price was $40.   Almost crapped myself, but the pizza was pretty good though. 

I guess that beats the $30 we paid for a cheese quesadilla and fries from room service the night before.  :o   

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 05:26:51 PM »
A little bit of sticker shock today at the restaurant supply store where I go. Last time I was there 50# sacks of flour were $15-17, today $22.75. Cheese is usually inder $2 a pound, today $2.44 /lb. But I did get some good buys on large cans of tomato products.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 10:06:02 PM »
So, why are they charging $15 a pepperoni pizza at the local yummy tasting pizza place?

"onemsmom" is jacking with you.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:07:41 PM by PizzaPolice »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 10:55:31 PM »
if you pay $10 for the pizza and you like it, you'd probably pay $15 for the same pizza if prices went up, right?     ownership greed.  i used to manage a shop where the owner went from a $7.41(tax) large with a free topping (which we sold to make $1500+ days almost every day) to 14.03(tax) and you paid for your toppings, and wondered why he was down to 4000 a week.  pissed off all of his customers, and kept changing products left and right and customers just got sick of the outrageous prices and out of stock issues and stopped ordering.

Sounds like the owner made a bunch of bad decisions - maybe greed overtook his business sense - maybe not. Whatever the case, upping your price is not necessarily an example of greed.

If you put your capital at risk to open a pizza place, you have no responsibility to subsidize someone's pizza cravings. You have every right to charge a fair price, and if your pizza is so good that people are willing to pay $15 and keep coming back for more, what is costs to make - be it $5.00 or $0.50 - is irrelevant. $15 is a fair price by definition. If you make a lot of money, good for you. Its not greed. Its success.

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 11:19:19 PM »
Geeeee I have not bought a pizza in 3 years
I think I pay around $1.50 per pie that I make if that much.And its better then the Locals and many others.
Hummmm
$10.50 - $11.00 per 5lb bag of Grande(Can make many pizzas with a bag}
50 Cents per dough ball (Dough balls $25.00 with 50 dough balls and they are made in NYC}
I use different sauce premade (many different brands from supermarkets}
So I think its gottaaaaa be less then $1.50 per pie and why buy a pizza when you can make
one a tad better if not alot better...............
Gottaaaa look at my 2 meatballs upstairs now for my midnight snack,,,,Geeee I think I will
add extra Grande chesse without worrying about paying for extra chesse that most places will make yeaaaaa pay for lol...............JT

Offline onemsmom

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 08:25:01 AM »
I'm not joking at all - several of the local "good pizza" places charge that much.  Some, less tasty, local shops have $5 pies on Mon or Tues night, but a) they are not as good & b) they are smaller pies and c) you've still gotta pay for the toppings yourself.

For some reason, we always want to order pizza on Fri. nights, when there are never any specials.

This is one of the reasons I wanted to learn how to make pizzas myself! (Plus, it's fun!)

Thanks for all of your help. 

Jenn

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 11:01:02 PM »
There is a place near me that used to have 1 small pizza with 1 topping for $5.00 on Tuesdays
Its was not bad
Now when I pass by they still have the same pizza for $5.00 without the  topping....
I feel my pizza is as good(not worst} maybe better and it cost me under $1.50 per pie.
Yesssss I don't need to pay $1.00 for extra chesse or any toppings....
Its best to buy a pizza stone and start making your own pizza and
you will enjoy it a tad more knowing you will not have to pay $10.00....JT

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 11:04:19 PM »
JT, where you from?

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 11:45:29 PM »
Poconos pa..................
And only have used Grande East Coast Blend for the last 3 years.........
Yes I know I can buy Stella and other brands at Sams clubs or Costco.
But I feel I am buying the chesse that most places that makes pizza use and
I am paying the same price as the superstores sell their off brands for..............JT

pizzapan