Author Topic: Pepperoni pesto, news article  (Read 949 times)

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Pepperoni pesto, news article
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:40:49 AM »
This was in the local paper today. Sounds like something I would try on a pizza. Check it out.
http://www.courant.com/features/food/hc-pepperoni-pesto-0826-20100826,0,101115.story

and a link to the farm that produces it.
http://bearpondfarm.com/

buceriasdon

Re: Pepperoni pesto, news article
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 02:11:49 PM »
I make sundried tomato pestos for my pizzas quite frequently, I built my own dehydrator, and am always on the look out for different flavored oils to use.  I doubt I'll find pepperoni oil. Good luck with your pesto pizza.
Don

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:27:19 PM »
I find pesto to be a very good base instead of tomato.  Here I’ve used it as a base with fresh Chanterelles, Prosciutto and Buffalo mozzarella.  After baking sprinkle around a few capers.
 :chef:
“Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.”

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:34:45 PM »
Yeppers, Love that briney bit of capers. Pizza looks great.
Don

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 10:37:24 PM »
Pigslips,

That is indeed a nice looking pizza with a good combination of flavors.

However, I would like to convince you not to use your wooden peel as a base for slicing your pizza since that is likely to lead to scratches and gouges in the wood. As a fallback position, I suppose that you could use one side to cut the pizzas and use the other side to load pizzas into the oven. You would just have to be sure to mark which side of the peel is which.

Peter

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:57:41 PM »
Pigslips, However, I would like to convince you not to use your wooden peel as a base for slicing your pizza since that is likely to lead to scratches and gouges in the wood. As a fallback position, I suppose that you could use one side to cut the pizzas and use the other side to load pizzas into the oven. You would just have to be sure to mark which side of the peel is which.  Peter 

Peter,  thanks for that heads up, we are such newbies, I'll keep a check on things.  :-[
“Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.”

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
Pigslips,

That's a great looking pie, bro.

I've got to try those toppings..always loved Chanterelles but they're so damn expensive here in the Bay Area. Even when they are farmed and come from Oregon.

Especially when you go shopping at Whole Paycheck...err Whole Foods.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 01:04:59 AM »
Pigslips,

That's a great looking pie, bro.

I've got to try those toppings..always loved Chanterelles but they're so damn expensive here in the Bay Area. Even when they are farmed and come from Oregon.

Especially when you go shopping at Whole Paycheck...err Whole Foods.

Grew up in SF (go giants) and live in Pdx now and this place has SF beat by a mile in the ingredient dept.  Fresh chantarelles, porcini , and morels,for a pittance.  Multiple producers of local charcuterie, the best farmers market produce.  A pizzaolo's heaven, as is attested to by pigslips pizza.

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 12:08:39 PM »
Pigslips,  I've got to try those toppings..always loved Chanterelles but they're so damn expensive here in the Bay Area. Even when they are farmed and come from Oregon. 

Essen1, not to kill you too bad but those mushroom were free!  My sister has friends who give her tons of fresh mushrooms all the time, she doesn't cook, I can't always use all of them.  :pizza:

Ponsu, Grew up in SF (go giants) and live in Pdx now and this place has SF beat by a mile in the ingredient dept.  Fresh chantarelles, porcini , and morels,for a pittance.  Multiple producers of local charcuterie, the best farmers market produce.  A pizzaolo's heaven, as is attested to by pigslips pizza.

A big 'roger' on that!  hey Ponsu, any good dough coming forth?  Another use of pesto pic..................

Here

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 12:34:08 PM »
Peter,  thanks for that heads up, we are such newbies, I'll keep a check on things.  :-[

Pigslips,

I neglected to mention that using a peel to cut pizzas on also allows bacteria to breed in the scratches in the peel, not to mention that the peel can also get stained and soiled with the juices of pizzas cut on it. You are not supposed to clean wooden peels in water so removing stains, etc., can become a chore.

Peter