Author Topic: Why is Grande Mozz. so hard to find?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline jever4321

Why is Grande Mozz. so hard to find?
« on: August 13, 2010, 12:56:57 PM »
I swear I could probably buy illegal drugs easier than this stuff...  ???
-Jay

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Why is Grande Mozz. so hard to find?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 01:13:14 PM »
Jay,

Grande sells mainly to pizza operators, usually through foodservice companies. I have read that there are a few Whole Foods stores that carry the Grande mozzarella cheese, but I believe it uses its own name, not Grande's. There are also some online sources that will ship Grande cheeses, including Vern's in the Midwest, at http://www.vernscheese.com/, and in the East at pennmac.com, at http://www.pennmac.com/page/27. Of course, with online sources, there are shipping charges. Shipping fresh cheese in the summer, especially at the elevated temperatures that are currently blanketing the nation, also carries greater risk of getting the cheese in less than optimum condition, as some of our members have discovered.

Peter

Offline jever4321

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 02:02:07 PM »
I've gone to all the local grocery stores, Kroer, Giant Eagle, and the specialty stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, The Andersons general store, Restaurant Depot, GFS, to no avail. It's like they don't even know what it is when I ask.

My brotehr in law is a salesman for GFS, and he brought me a 5# bag a couple of monthe ago, so I figured I could go whenever I needed to GFS, but it looks like I might have to hit him up again. I don't like feeling like I owe someone for "scoring me some quality cheese." I guess I just don't understand why it's so difficult to get. Isn't it made in Wisconsin? I live in Ohio.
-Jay

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 03:14:47 PM »
Jay,

Grande's business model is not set up to cater to individuals at the retail level. If you call Grande and ask them where to get their cheese, they are likely to tell you to look for a local pizza operator who uses their cheese and ask to purchase some from them.

I neglected to mention before but there are some foodservice companies and wholesalers who will sell to individuals on a cash and carry basis, but such places tend to be in the minority. Even then, the purchase requirements might be high.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 03:51:29 PM »
I've gone to all the local grocery stores, Kroer, Giant Eagle, and the specialty stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, The Andersons general store, Restaurant Depot, GFS, to no avail. It's like they don't even know what it is when I ask.

My brotehr in law is a salesman for GFS, and he brought me a 5# bag a couple of monthe ago, so I figured I could go whenever I needed to GFS, but it looks like I might have to hit him up again. I don't like feeling like I owe someone for "scoring me some quality cheese." I guess I just don't understand why it's so difficult to get. Isn't it made in Wisconsin? I live in Ohio.

GFS has cash-and-carry stores.

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 11:02:02 PM »
I picked up a 5lb bag of low-moisture whole milk mozzarella today at the local GFS here in Tampa...I'd give them a try if they're in your area.

Offline dms

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 12:30:31 AM »
I picked up a 5lb bag of low-moisture whole milk mozzarella today at the local GFS here in Tampa...I'd give them a try if they're in your area.

Peter -- GFS is a midwest food distributor (plus locations in FL and TN) who also run a number of "GFS Marketplace" stores.  These are fairly small places, open to the public, which sell a small subset of the whole line that GFS carries, usually in less-than-case quantities.  The target market is people throwing parties, church functions, and small restaurants that can't meet the minimum delivery charge, or otherwise don't get deliveries. 

Grande cheeses aren't sold in most of the gfs marketplace stores.  Any of the stores can get you anything they sell, usually the next day or so, but you have to buy whatever the normal "case" quantity is.  For cheese, that's going to be six 5 pound bags of shredded or diced, or six to eight loaves of six to eight pounds each. It can't hurt to ask about it, though, as the store managers have some leeway in what they choose to stock, if they think it'll sell in their market.  I think the GFS branded whole milk mozz is better than grande though, as it melts better, and tastes better.  That might not be true in Florida, but it's true in the midwest.  It's cheaper, and they sell it in less-than-case quantities, which is a bonus. 

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 03:31:16 AM »
Peter -- GFS is a midwest food distributor (plus locations in FL and TN) who also run a number of "GFS Marketplace" stores.  These are fairly small places, open to the public, which sell a small subset of the whole line that GFS carries, usually in less-than-case quantities.  The target market is people throwing parties, church functions, and small restaurants that can't meet the minimum delivery charge, or otherwise don't get deliveries. 

Grande cheeses aren't sold in most of the gfs marketplace stores.  Any of the stores can get you anything they sell, usually the next day or so, but you have to buy whatever the normal "case" quantity is.  For cheese, that's going to be six 5 pound bags of shredded or diced, or six to eight loaves of six to eight pounds each. It can't hurt to ask about it, though, as the store managers have some leeway in what they choose to stock, if they think it'll sell in their market.  I think the GFS branded whole milk mozz is better than grande though, as it melts better, and tastes better.  That might not be true in Florida, but it's true in the midwest.  It's cheaper, and they sell it in less-than-case quantities, which is a bonus. 

cloverhill foods in western pa carrys grande i think
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.