Author Topic: Any places around harrisburg pa for supplies?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline braddonbach

Any places around harrisburg pa for supplies?
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:39:35 PM »
Hey,
I've been checking out all the topics gaining knowledge on the art of pizza making, and given what I can find at the local retail grocers i've done pretty good as far as sauce taste goes but I am looking to step up to the "big boy" ingredients to really take it to shop quality pizza. Anybody know of any places in around harrisburg pa that carries the 6 in 1 sauce, grande, and high gluten flour? I know about penmar just hoping somethings alil closer so i can really look around for ingredients and such without the shipping.
Thanks
Brad

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Any places around harrisburg pa for supplies?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 11:50:22 PM »
GFS sysco and reinhart carry that stuff
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

scott123

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 12:14:54 AM »
"Big boy" ingredients... I like that term  ;D

One thing to bear in mind when looking for 'shop quality' ingredients- most pizzerias, as most restaurants in the food biz, run fairly tight margins.  Some places use Grande, but not all.  Many pizzerias use generic, inexpensive food service mozzarella, which would be comparable to private label, supermarket brand cheese.

Don't get me wrong, Grande has a lot of fans in this forum.  You don't necessarily have to spend Grande money to achieve 'shop quality' pizza, though.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:41:02 AM »
"Big boy" ingredients... I like that term  ;D

One thing to bear in mind when looking for 'shop quality' ingredients- most pizzerias, as most restaurants in the food biz, run fairly tight margins.  Some places use Grande, but not all.  Many pizzerias use generic, inexpensive food service mozzarella, which would be comparable to private label, supermarket brand cheese.

Don't get me wrong, Grande has a lot of fans in this forum.  You don't necessarily have to spend Grande money to achieve 'shop quality' pizza, though.

gfs primo gusto 50/50 or pennmac pittsburgh blend.  the only two cheeses i am in love with for shredded cheese
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 07:19:02 AM »
Hey,
I've been checking out all the topics gaining knowledge on the art of pizza making, and given what I can find at the local retail grocers i've done pretty good as far as sauce taste goes but I am looking to step up to the "big boy" ingredients to really take it to shop quality pizza. Anybody know of any places in around harrisburg pa that carries the 6 in 1 sauce, grande, and high gluten flour? I know about penmar just hoping somethings alil closer so i can really look around for ingredients and such without the shipping.
Thanks
Brad

Brad,

Sam's club between Hershey and Harrisburg carries high-gluten flour.  It is bromated. A place outside Lancaster also carries high-gluten flour.  It is call the Restaurant Store and is on Old Philadelphia Pike. There is also a Restaurant Store in Camp Hill. You could call them and see if they also sell high-gluten flour. http://www.therestaurantstore.com/161/store-profile.html  Bova foods also carries 6 in 1 sauce and Grande cheese. http://www.bovafoods.com/   They are a bit farther from you, but this is the only place I have found near me where they sell Grande cheese shredded in 5 lb. bags.  I live between Lancaster and Harrisburg.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Bob1

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 10:23:35 AM »
Brad,
Here is a place that is very good for flour.
http://www.dutchvalleyfoods.com/
They also have a distributor list.  You can usually order a 50# bag from one of them for a few dollars more and save yourself the drive.  This place is about 40 miles NE from Harrisburg right of of 78.

Bob