Author Topic: Slice, shred or otherwise...How to you do your cheese and why?  (Read 2369 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

I go back and forth between shredded cheese and slices, at the moment I'm most often slicing. What's your preference and why?

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Slice, shred or otherwise...How to you do your cheese and why?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:47:33 PM »
diced covers better when it melts but sliced you can map out to exactly the size you need.  shredded seems to split the difference
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 12:31:29 AM »
Good question - I have moved away from pre-shredded cheese onto shredding my own full milk mozz.  The problem is that as the shredded full milk mozz approaches room temps, it tends to clump.  One method I've devise to prevent clumping is to use grated Parmesan cheese as an anti-caking agent.

However I have since moved onto slicing whole milk mozz and coating with parmesan.  I like sliced cheese b/c I can top a pizza faster.  I don't want my dough sitting on the peel too long.  With shredded, it just takes so much conentration to get an even spread especially around the rim.  I like a clean looking rim and not one scattered with burnt cheese bits but that's just me.   ;D

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 03:39:58 PM »
UPS just showed up with my latest 16-pound order of cheese (two bags of diced Grande part-skim and a loaf of whole milk). I tried diced for the first time with my last order, and I really like how much easier it is to use than shredded.

I don't like buying by the loaf for a few reasons: 1) I simply cannot shred or dice it to the consistency that Grande does it; 2) It's a lot of extra work; and 3) If I process a lot of it at a time, it ends up all clumped together once I'm ready to use most of it. Unfortunately, Vern's only sells whole milk by the loaf. So if I want Grande whole milk (which, obviously, I do), then I have to get it by the loaf (unless I go to a distributor to get a whole case, which is not very practical, even though I go through a lot of cheese).

I used to do sliced and chopped years ago, sort of as an attempt to make something more artisanal, but I've since decided that was impractical, inefficient, and pretentious.

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 04:14:14 PM »
All of the above.  More due to the physical end of things like effort required and effects from heat.  The goey and smeary (are those words?) white cheddars and the like for Det style get mangled in the food processor as they are just a pain to deal with any other way (thanks to Peter for that one).  When I find whatever cheese cooks too much on a particular pie I go to larger pieces, like from shred to dice or dice to sliced or chunked.  Seems like it helps though I can't prove it although on the highest temp pies it's always slices or chunks.  If just making one pie for myself a quick dice or slice is just most convenient and like Chau, when time is of the essence it's slices or chunks.
Never bought shredded chesse myself mostly because none of the local suppliers carry any that I liked or heard of.  No Grande around these parts.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:05:58 PM »
Never bought shredded chesse myself mostly because none of the local suppliers carry any that I liked or heard of.  No Grande around these parts.

I get Grande through http://www.vernscheese.com. Even after shipping costs, it's still cheaper than buying low quality grocery store cheese. Plus Vern's seems to take special care to rotate their stock. (I can tell by looking at the quality code on the Grande packaging, which tells me the date they made the cheese.) In warm weather, Vern's even packs it with ice packets (like "blue ice") in an effort to keep a cool temperature inside the shipping box.

You might get lucky and find it at an Italian specialty store, if there are any near you. I think Pennmac carries a few types of Grande, as well. Another possible source of just about any brand of cheese you might want to try, regardless of where you live, is pizzerias. Just ask the owner or manager what kind of cheese they use. If it's something you'd like to use, ask if they'll sell you a bag.

Offline dms

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 07:59:11 PM »
I get Grande through http://www.vernscheese.com. Even after shipping costs, it's still cheaper than buying low quality grocery store cheese. Plus Vern's seems to take special care to rotate their stock. (I can tell by looking at the quality code on the Grande packaging, which tells me the date they made the cheese.) In warm weather, Vern's even packs it with ice packets (like "blue ice") in an effort to keep a cool temperature inside the shipping box.

Not counting shipping, they seem to charge $4.715 a pound for Grande Whole Milk.  You must have really expensive grocery stores.  (That's 80 or 100% the market price, even for premium-priced grande.) 

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 09:33:41 AM »
Not counting shipping, they seem to charge $4.715 a pound for Grande Whole Milk.  You must have really expensive grocery stores.  (That's 80 or 100% the market price, even for premium-priced grande.) 
Yea, thats my feelings too.  I am actually surrounded by Italian markets, have two local wholesale pizza supply houses that sell to the public, and even a small local cheese maker run by a Sicilian family that makes fresh mozz 6 days a week and a great whole mik mozz and more.  So I have an abundance of choices all way less $$ than shipped cheese, and without the need to freeze any due to large quantity purchases.  It's just none of the above carry Grande.  Well I take that back, one market does have Grande from time to time but at 6.99/lb!  I guess all this and my frugal nature has prevented me from hooking up any Grande but I really need to take the plunge and try some.  Obviously someone handles it locally as those "we use Grande" posters do hang on the walls of some local pizzeria's so Ryan your idea of getting some from one of them may be the ticket.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
stella 50/50 mozz prov or straight mozz $12 for 5lbs at samsclub.  and its good stuff
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 09:34:22 PM »
UPS just showed up with my latest 16-pound order of cheese (two bags of diced Grande part-skim and a loaf of whole milk). I tried diced for the first time with my last order, and I really like how much easier it is to use than shredded.

I don't like buying by the loaf for a few reasons: 1) I simply cannot shred or dice it to the consistency that Grande does it; 2) It's a lot of extra work; and 3) If I process a lot of it at a time, it ends up all clumped together once I'm ready to use most of it. Unfortunately, Vern's only sells whole milk by the loaf. So if I want Grande whole milk (which, obviously, I do), then I have to get it by the loaf (unless I go to a distributor to get a whole case, which is not very practical, even though I go through a lot of cheese).

I used to do sliced and chopped years ago, sort of as an attempt to make something more artisanal, but I've since decided that was impractical, inefficient, and pretentious.

Hi Ryan,
I wanted to ask,have you ever tried to freeze the cheese for a little bit before shredding?

I tried that with a small block of cheese and wow,it was so easy to shred!

I did not fully freeze it though...if you do,thaw it out a bit..but wow,you could feel the cheese grind through the grating because of the icy particles inside and I was able to use about 95% of the cheese without gumming.It just got too small in the end where I could not shred anymore.
 :-D

That said,I also slice at times.I have a hand held slicer that works OK...It sometimes cuts thicker than I want it to,but thats due to human error(me).

Im planning to get an cheap electric slicer soon.That should do the trick and no more mess or gummed up cheese slices.

-Bill

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 12:25:04 AM »
Hi Ryan,
I wanted to ask,have you ever tried to freeze the cheese for a little bit before shredding?

I donít think Iíve ever done that. Iíve gotten some over-aged and mishandled loaves before, though, that I was tempted to freeze because it was soft and difficult to shred. But Iíve never been inclined to freeze Grande cheese due to freshness issues; not even the over-aged stuff. Even over-aged and mishandled Grande cheese has performed well for me.

Im planning to get an cheap electric slicer soon.That should do the trick and no more mess or gummed up cheese slices.

I have one of those; itís a Waring Pro Food Slicer. Mostly I've used it for pepperoni, but I have used it to slice cheese a few times, too. I think of it more as a cutter than a slicer. It takes a lot of work to slice a stick of pepperoni, but itís definitely easier and more efficient than using a knife.

If I remember correctly, cheese is pretty tough on the motor. I think the slicer I have now is a replacement. Seems like I had another one several years ago but wasted the motor by slicing cheese when it was brand new. Iím gonna find out in a few days how this one handles cheese.

pizzapan