Author Topic: September 2010 Monthly Challenge: Clever Pizza Making Ideas  (Read 6252 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
September 2010 Monthly Challenge: Clever Pizza Making Ideas
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:28:04 AM »
This month's challenge is to collect clever, unusual or unorthodox ways of making pizza dough and pizzas. The ways can be related to equipment or methods. Some recent examples of what I have in mind are the following:

Norma's use of a waffle iron to make pizzas: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11568.msg106016.html#msg106016

Randy's modification of a crock pot to warm dough: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11697.msg107955.html#msg107955

Jet-deck's homemade manual dough sheeter: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11459.msg104658.html#msg104658

Randy's new KitchenAid C-hook kneading method: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10817.msg96471.html#msg96471

Subsidiary tips and tricks are also welcome. Some past examples can be seen in this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1508.msg13749.html#msg13749.

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: September 2010 Monthly Challenge: Clever Pizza Making Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 01:58:46 PM »
Peter, how about your method of baking pizza on a bed of river rocks?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 02:39:07 PM »
Chau,

That, in fact, was one I was thinking about, but a variation of my last attempt using rocks.

Peter

Offline Guts

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 06:48:30 PM »
I give this a go. I don't do this all the time, but may help some one that is having a hard time getting there pies in a more round shape. I have used a small plate on top of a floured dough ball and press down, this allows the dough to spread out in a round manner. The pics aren't so good and could be improved on but they are the only ones I have.  :pizza:

Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 11:41:43 AM »
My entry in this month’s challenge is a Panini Grill pizza.  I first grilled ham, peppers from my garden, and pineapples on the BBQ grill.  I picked some fresh tomatoes from my garden and sliced them.  For the other dressings, I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce and grated cheddar cheese. This Panini grill can get to temperatures of 570 degrees F.  The dough I used for this pizza was the preferment Lehmann dough that was frozen.

Pictures below

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 11:42:47 AM »
rest of pictures

Norma

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 08:48:18 PM »
OK, I like to say what I am going to do before I do it to force my chronically lazy self to do it.  I will cook pizzas at work using about 15 firebrick and a heat shrink gun.  I actually built the oven today to test the layout, but I did not build it where the gun is, so I have to move it.  If I get back to the office tomorrow around Noon, I will do so, if not on Monday. 

I planned on doing it today, and brought some doughs, sauce, cheese and toppings, but I forgot my IR temp gun which will be crucial to determine when the "oven" is ready.  The propane heat gun blows a high temp (1400+) stream of jetted air, so the challenge will be heat soaking the split firebrick to a temp of 700 or better that will last for at least 15 minutes.

I will probably cheat and use some AAC as insulation at least on the bottom.  Yes, my coworkers think I am insane (But look forward to fresh pizza instead of leftovers).

Offline petef

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 04:43:27 AM »
Everyone,
I have posted these unique ideas in the past, but for the sake of having them all in one "Pizza Making Ideas" thread I'll post them again.

Pic 1: If you have your stone on the oven floor and your crust is burning on the bottom before the top side has time to cook, try adding some small tiles under your stone which will help to lower the temperature of the stone.

Pic 2: If you use tiles on your gas grill and you are having problems getting the top side to cook before the bottom burns, try covering your pizza with a cast iron fry pan. For best results, preheat the pan. Avoid burns, remember to always wear thermal glove handling that super hot fry pan!

Pic 3: For reheating a slice of frozen pizza, first microwave it on full power about 30 to 60 seconds to thaw it and warm it a bit. Then place the slice on a hand held grill and hold it over an open flame on your gas stove top for 30 to 60 seconds to crispen the bottom crust. Results are very close to fresh baked!

---pete---

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »
Ok, I was able to get a few minutes for the attempt.  I heated the thing up inside and out for about 10 minutes and got it to a around 444F.  I made it put it in on a pan, and let it go for around 5 minutes, then began applying heat to the outside with an occasional long distance waft into the oven.  The gun puts out 1400 degrees 6" from the tip, so I had to keep it pretty far back. 

Unfortunately, I ran out of patience before it was completely done, so it was kind of raw on the inside.  With 5 bucks worth of perlcrete it could be done, but I probably burned 10 bucks worth of propane heating it.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 10:03:13 PM »
The pizza looks good, but I really want to play with that heat gun!

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 12:01:26 AM »
is that a spark plug :-D -marc

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 09:18:32 PM »
Thai pizza, everyone turned their noses up on this one until they ate it, big big hit!  :o
1. Mix peanut butter with Kona Coast Ginger Wasabi Teriyaki sauce, crushed red pepper flakes to taste.  This is the base, no cheese or tomato sauce.
2.  Went to my local Thai joint and bought  "MANGO PARADISE", chicken, fresh yellow mango, bell peppers, onions, water chestnuts, and cashew nuts.  (topping)
3. Served with  Gochujang red hot sauce, it's warm with hints of sesame oil and vinegar, it's wonderful.
     Green onion tops and crushed peanuts.  That's it. 

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:26:32 PM by Pigslips »
“Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.”

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 09:40:21 PM »
Gordon,

Your pizza both looks and sounds delicious. I have been meaning to try a clone of a California Pizza Kitchen Thai Chicken Pizza but I think I like your version better. In fact, your crust looks a lot like the crusts shown in the CPKI pizza cookbook.

I think you should write up your pizza again and post it in the California Style board, along with the dough recipe you used and how you baked the pizza. That way, your fine work will get more attention and visibility than in this thread.

Peter

Offline Pigslips

• "Dominus Vobiscum"
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 11:27:16 PM »
Gordon,

Your pizza both looks and sounds delicious. I have been meaning to try a clone of a California Pizza Kitchen Thai Chicken Pizza but I think I like your version better. In fact, your crust looks a lot like the crusts shown in the CPKI pizza cookbook.  I think you should write up your pizza again and post it in the California Style board, along with the dough recipe you used and how you baked the pizza. That way, your fine work will get more attention and visibility than in this thread.  Peter 

Thanks ;D
“Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.”

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 11:30:27 PM »
i think carmelized bananas and apples on a pizza would be fun.   i did a cold ferment on a 50/50 beer/water 24hr starter and made a ~17-18oz doughball with it earlier tonight. used all cold or room temp ingredients.  i think the starter is too active so my 3day is going to be a one day + one day :/

if its really poofy tomorrow, i'll make it tomorrow before work.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 07:56:11 AM »
I recently let my dough come to room temp on a cedar plank, I did find it imparted a slight cedar taste to the pizza but I wouldn't call it 'smokey'.

If doing it again I'd maybe up the salt to balance out the cedar as there was a slightly over sweet taste to the final dough. 

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 01:41:24 PM »
Since today is the last day of this month’s challenge, I decided to post my entry. It is the use of a combination of two different machines to make pizza dough—in my case, the combination of a Cuisinart food processor and a basic KitchenAid stand mixer with a C-hook.

I stumbled upon this combination by accident when I decided to use my Cuisinart food processor (with a 14-cup capacity) to make a Mack’s clone dough. The dough formulation, at Reply 204 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg97757.html#msg97757, called for making a dough ball with a weight of around 18.5 ounces. With a dough hydration of 57%, I thought that my Cuisinart food processor would do a better job than my KitchenAid stand mixer. However, when I tried to make the dough in my food processor, I discovered that the dough wouldn’t gather completely into a unitary ball. I was using mostly the pulse feature and a roughly 15-second period at full speed to prepare the dough, mainly to minimize the amount of heat imparted to the dough. Even though I used cold water to help keep the finished dough temperature down, I did not want to let the food processor run continuously at full speed in the hopes that it would ultimately produce a smooth, round cohesive dough ball. I knew from prior experience that that would result in a very overheated dough ball.

So, I decided to remove the dough from the food processor and finish kneading it in my KitchenAid stand mixer using the C-hook. It took about 4 minutes at speed 2 to complete the job. I ended up with a nice, smooth, cohesive dough ball. During that time, the dough ball did not climb the C-hook. When time came to use the dough, it handled beautifully. I concluded that a dough ball weight of 18.5 ounces was too much for my food processor if I wanted to keep the finished dough temperature in the 75-85 degrees F range but within the capabilities of my KitchenAid stand mixer.

I subsequently repeated the above experiment with two other Mack clone dough balls, one weighing about 19.69 ounces and with a hydration of 57.5% (Reply 301 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg98561.html#msg98561) and another with a dough weight of about 21.21 ounces and a hydration of 55% (Reply 307 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg99472.html#msg99472). Again, I had good results all around, as I noted in the abovereferenced posts. In both cases, I used the KitchenAid 2 speed for about 4 minutes.

More recently, I made two Lehmann NY style doughs, principally to further test out the above approach of using the food processor/KitchenAid stand mixer combo. The first Lehmann dough ball had a weight of about 17 ounces and a hydration of 62%; the second Lehmann dough ball had a weight of about 17.91 ounces and a hydration of 60%. Again, I used a KitchenAid speed of 2 for 4 minutes and got beautiful, smooth, cohesive dough balls, again without the dough balls climbing the C-hook. I recently used the first dough ball, a photo of which is shown below, to make a pizza, and the dough handled very well, without any thin spots or spidery, webby characteristics. (The second Lehmann dough ball looked like the first one.)

In my experiments, I tried both the metal food processor blade and the plastic version. I can’t say that I noticed a big difference but I plan to experiment further with both blades to see if any pattern develops.

The method I used to make the dough was very simple. I combined the flour (I used King Arthur bread flour supplemented with vital wheat gluten to achieve a 14.2% total protein content) and IDY in the processor bowl, and I combined the water, salt and oil in a cup (and sugar for the Mack clone doughs). The water was cold right out of the refrigerator. It is important that the water be cold if a finished dough temperature below 85 degrees F is to be achieved. I gradually added the water mixture to the processor bowl while using the pulse feature. Once the dough ingredients came together roughly (the dough will have a rough round shape but with uncombined dough fragments), I ran the processor at full speed for about 15 seconds. There were still some loose dough clumps but otherwise the dough was roughly round. I removed the dough from the food processor, gathered the dough into a round ball to hold everything together, and put it into the KitchenAid stand mixer for final processing.

I plan to continue to experiment with the above method to further define the parameters and limitations of the method. If I continue to get good results, I may start a new thread to detail my findings.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 09:11:55 PM »
I had one small dough ball that I wanted to use for another attempt at this months challenge, but became busy and didn’t have time to do the other experiment I wanted to do on this dough ball. That was two weeks ago. I had also been thinking about another experiment of using a sheet of aluminum foil and trying to bake a pizza placed on the aluminum foil and to just try the broiler on to bake the pie.  Well, since today was the last day of this months challenge, I decided to do the experiment early this afternoon.  I didn’t want to make this into a regular pizza.  I decided on a breakfast pizza with toppings of Nutella and toasted cinnamon raisin bread (that was cut into cubes) that were toasted in the oven before I turned the broiler on.  The oven was heated up just until the temperature was 500 degrees F.  Then I turned the broiler on.  I even used the same piece of regular aluminum foil to toast the bread and bake the pizza.  This combination of toppings doesn’t sound that good, but when the pizza was finished the combination went well together.  I placed the toppings on right after the bake of this pizza.

The broiler did a good job of baking this pizza, in my opinion.  As soon as the one side was baked, I turned the pizza over and quickly baked the pizza on the other side. 

This dough ball was used and abused because it was defrosted one time when I wanted to do my other experiment, and then froze again and finally another defrost.  Even with all that freezing and defrosting, it still did get good oven spring. 

Pictures below,

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 09:13:03 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 09:14:06 PM »
end of pictures

Norma

pizzapan