Author Topic: A builder that builds WFO's in our area  (Read 1305 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
A builder that builds WFO's in our area
« on: September 01, 2010, 12:22:52 PM »
I was talking to the lady that owns Byers Butterflake Bakery yesterday morning, when I was waiting for my oven to heat up, at Rootís market, about where to obtain fresh yeast to try in pizza dough.  http://www.byersbakery.com/  They make many kinds of breads and cakes. We were talking about making pizza and she told me that Jake Smuckerís (he is the man that bought my caramel popcorn stand)  brother, Eli Smucker does also experiment with pizzas and since the economy is slower in the building industry, he is now building WFOís and making pizza and breads in his WFO.  Jake gave me Eliís phone number and I called him this morning about his WFOís he builds.  If anyone is near to our area, it sounds like the WFOís that Eli builds are good.  This is Eliís website.  http://www.creativemasonry.biz/index.php   I didnít get all the information about the WFOís he builds, but basically they have a 20" dome and he does 7" of masonry, with other things I really donít understand about WFOís.  He said he builds ovens for pizzas and also ovens for both breads and pizzas. He explained the differences in the ovens.  He also builds 48" ovens. 

We were talking about making pizza for awhile and he said he uses a poolish method that is then incorporated into the final dough three days later.  He said he uses AP flour for his poolish and then uses Golden Buffalo flour from Bloomington, Indiana http://www.heartlandmill.com/baker_pages/flour_info.htm#gold%20buff  http://www.tastefullyhealthy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75&products_id=340  combined with bread flour for his pizzas.  He said the Golden Buffalo flour is something like KAWW flour, but gives a sweeter flavor. I wish I could taste their pizzas and bread.  Since Amish families do make many different kinds of breads, I bet the pizzas and breads would be amazing.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
Re: A builder that builds WFO's in our area
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:34:23 PM »
Norma

Eli is a customer of ours and I spoke to him today.  He is going to mail me a copy of his dough recipe.  I will give you the heads up when I get it. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: A builder that builds WFO's in our area
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »
ERASMO,

Itís a small world, isnít it?  I knew Eliís brother Jake, from when he bought our caramel popcorn market stands. Tuesday I was talking to the bakery lady about fresh yeast and she makes different breads and we got talking about pizzas.  That is what led to her telling me to ask Jake, his brothers number, because she said he does build WFOís. When I talked to Eli, his formula really sounded interesting.  He also said he bakes bread in his WFO.  I know most all Amish people are great bakers.  I tasted some of my best breads from them.  They just seem to have a knack for baking or cooking.  That would be great if Eli gives you his formula for making pizza.  He told me he uses a poolish and then lets the poolish sit for 3 days, before incorporating it into the final dough.  The one flour he uses also sounds interesting. 

Good to hear Eli purchases things for his ovens from you.  Eliís brother Jake, used to be a mason and still helps his sons do masonry work. 

Thanks for the help with the recipe.  ;D  Looking forward to seeing what reciepe he uses in a WFO.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan