Author Topic: Using Fresh Mozzarella  (Read 864 times)

Offline StrayBullet

Using Fresh Mozzarella
« on: September 03, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »
I've tried to use fresh made mozzarella a couple of times and it's never worked out.  Too runny, didn't melt enough, orange discoloration, etc.

Are there tips, tricks to using the fresh stuff; like drying or using small chunks or "thin" slices?  Thanks!

buceriasdon

Re: Using Fresh Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »
I slice then place the slices between paper towels on what have you, cutting boards, etc. and weigh the afair down. Maybe a 1/4" of an inch thick. The slices will thin from the weight. Change towels as needed but you do want a bit of moisture left.
Don

I've tried to use fresh made mozzarella a couple of times and it's never worked out.  Too runny, didn't melt enough, orange discoloration, etc.

Are there tips, tricks to using the fresh stuff; like drying or using small chunks or "thin" slices?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:25:48 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:33:49 PM »
I let mine drain (under refrigeration on paper towels) for 2-6 hours depending on the wetness of the cheese. Usually closer to 2 unless i'm using buffalo. I don't press it at all.

The wetness, size of the chunk or thickness of the slice are going to be a function of your oven temperature and cooking time. You can go wetter, smaller and thinner with higher heat and faster cooking time. Experiment with different sizes/thicknesses and figure out what works best for you.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 05:26:50 PM »
Thanks y'all, appreciate the input!

I let mine drain (under refrigeration on paper towels) for 2-6 hours depending on the wetness of the cheese. Usually closer to 2 unless i'm using buffalo. I don't press it at all.

Why not w/Buffalo?  And thanks again!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 05:45:26 PM »
Thanks y'all, appreciate the input!

Why not w/Buffalo?  And thanks again!

It's generally a lot wetter - at least the stuff I can get is.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan