Author Topic: Using Fresh Mozzarella  (Read 965 times)

Offline StrayBullet

Using Fresh Mozzarella
« on: September 03, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »
I've tried to use fresh made mozzarella a couple of times and it's never worked out.  Too runny, didn't melt enough, orange discoloration, etc.

Are there tips, tricks to using the fresh stuff; like drying or using small chunks or "thin" slices?  Thanks!

buceriasdon

Re: Using Fresh Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »
I slice then place the slices between paper towels on what have you, cutting boards, etc. and weigh the afair down. Maybe a 1/4" of an inch thick. The slices will thin from the weight. Change towels as needed but you do want a bit of moisture left.
Don

I've tried to use fresh made mozzarella a couple of times and it's never worked out.  Too runny, didn't melt enough, orange discoloration, etc.

Are there tips, tricks to using the fresh stuff; like drying or using small chunks or "thin" slices?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:25:48 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:33:49 PM »
I let mine drain (under refrigeration on paper towels) for 2-6 hours depending on the wetness of the cheese. Usually closer to 2 unless i'm using buffalo. I don't press it at all.

The wetness, size of the chunk or thickness of the slice are going to be a function of your oven temperature and cooking time. You can go wetter, smaller and thinner with higher heat and faster cooking time. Experiment with different sizes/thicknesses and figure out what works best for you.

Craig
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 05:26:50 PM »
Thanks y'all, appreciate the input!

I let mine drain (under refrigeration on paper towels) for 2-6 hours depending on the wetness of the cheese. Usually closer to 2 unless i'm using buffalo. I don't press it at all.

Why not w/Buffalo?  And thanks again!

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 05:45:26 PM »
Thanks y'all, appreciate the input!

Why not w/Buffalo?  And thanks again!

It's generally a lot wetter - at least the stuff I can get is.

Craig
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

pizzapan