Author Topic: Emergency DKM  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Emergency DKM
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »
My attempt at a 3 hour DKM thin crust pizza: :chef:

I followed the directions given at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php for the dough.  I took the scrappy dry "dough" and pushed it all together.  I boiled about 3 cups of water in the microwave and my thermopen showed that the air temp in the microwave was about 100*.  I let the "dough" sit in the microwave for 2 hours.  At least 3 times during the 2 hours, I would remove the "dough", boil the water again and banish the "dough" back to its balmy resting spot.  At the end of 2 hours the dough temp was 91*, I sheeted it, cut it into 12" skins, folded them each in half twice, and put it in the freezer for 45 min.  At the end of 45 min., I removed the dough.  It measured about 55*.  When I first tried to unfold the first skin, I could see that it was going to tear.  I let them rest about 20 min, unfolded, sauced (i later decided that they were over sauced), and topped with what little cheese I could find.  I had already preheated the 10 stone to 500*. I cooked the first one roughly 5 minutes.  Repeated the process for the second skin, but had the 10stone oven up to 650*, cook time was reduced by 1 min, down to 4 minutes.  The first pizza had an anemic white crust on top, but was crispy and did have good flavor.  The second pizza did show  signs of browning on top and was my favorite of the two. Both pizza were done near perfectly on the bottom.
My conclusion is that this experiment did provide a completely acceptable cracker crust for an "emergency".  I would also venture to say that with some of the Jackie Tran 'Pizza But Sauce' and some quality toppings that you could serve this to anyone (except most of you here ;D) and get good compliments.
Thickness Factors to follow later.
In case your wondering-- I like thin pizzas. I didn't have any HG flour to make Steve's Shakeys' cracker crust. 
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Emergency DKM
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 11:37:22 AM »
The only cheese I could find, and the pizza at 650*

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:21:21 PM »
The weight on the 500* skin was 7.3 oz for a TF of .06
The weight on the 650* skin was 5.8 oz for a TF of .05

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 05:28:47 PM »
yikes that's thin.  I have always been somewhat curious to make a cracker crust but haven't gotten around to it.   I'm glad you're liking that Pizza But sauce.  I found it off the net and modified it a bit.   I'll have to make a PH deep dish again soon.  Boy do I like those.  :-D

I did eat at Grimaldi's in AZ last week and it was pretty thin crust.  Not as thin as a real thin crust but the rim was dry and crunchy all around.  Made me want to look into that style next. 

Chau