Author Topic: Thin crust variations  (Read 2330 times)

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
Thin crust variations
« on: April 06, 2005, 09:20:51 AM »
I wanted to make DKMís Pizza Inn recipe for thin ní crispy pizzas.† But, I wanted to experiment with using different blends of flour, instead of the straight high-gluten flour.

One dough was 50% high-gluten and 50% OO flour.† Another dough was straight AP flour.† The third dough was 50% OO,† 25% high-gluten and 25% cake flour (Pillsburyís Soft As Silk brand).† Several people insist that you use high-gluten flour, while a few have said AP is fine.† In hindsight, I should have made a straight high-gluten dough to compare against the other three I made.†

The dough was covered and then allowed to sit at room temperature for 6 hours and then placed in the refrigerator for 8 hours and then taken back out† for another 7 hours.† Why?† I donít know!† I made the dough yesterday morning.† Put in the fridge in the afternoon, and then took it back out before I went to bed.

All pizzas were par baked for 4 minutes in the pan @500F, and then baked for 10 minutes @ 500F.† DKMís recipe called for 475F.† Most other pizza recipes I see say 550F, and most pizzerias try to get up in the 700F range, so I thought 500F would be the minimum.† I baked each pie separately in a 13Ē cutter pan that cooked on my pizza stone.

The first pizza I made was the 50/50 dough (50% OO + 50%HG).† †It was VERY hard to roll out!† I think that canít be overstated since most people donít have a sheeter. This was the hardest of the three doughs to roll out. The rolling pin wasnít very effective.† I used that in conjunction with a small glass jar (8 oz mayonnaise jar).† The jar seemed to work better because I was able to concentrate more force in a smaller area, as opposed to a larger rolling pin.† Not a very good way to do it, but I really had no choice.† After 20 minutes, it was as thin as it was gonna get !†

The dough had probably the best flavor out of the three.† However, since the dough wasnít rolled out perfectly even,† it had areas where it was chewy and areas where it was crispy.† My wife like this dough the best.† Itís my 2nd favorite.

Next, is the AP dough.† This was the worst of the the three doughs.† It was however, the easiest to roll out, since it had the least amount of gluten.† The dough was actually drier in consistency rolling out than the 50/50.†

The AP pizza above, had by far the driest texture of the three. In fact, it was too dry.† And the flavor was non-existent.† Nothing!† I wonít use AP for pizza anymore.

Lastly, the 50/25/25 (50% OO, 25% HG, 25% Cake Flour).† †I liked this one the best.† It was the second easiest and second hardest to roll out.† The ball was very dry.†

Why did I like this one the best?† It reminded me of what I recall as Pizza Hutís thin Ďn crispy of the 1970ís:† †very crispy and flaky, yet just a hint of wetness on the top, but NOT† soggy.† †The only problem with this dough and the other two is the lack of flavor.† Very bland overall.† I think that can be overcome, though.† Either a yeast flavoring additive, garlic, more salt or a combination of the three.† It hinted of a yeast flavor, but it wasnít enough.† Perhaps adding more yeast next time?† I went with 1 Ĺ tsp, as per instructions.† Anyway, it has a saltine cracker flavor right now, but not strong enough.†

Thatís it in a nutshell.† I had read recipes before that swore by cake flour, so I think itís worthwhile to pursue using it in some quantity.† Iím going to try a 50/50 and a 75/25 HG/CF mix next time.†

The sauce I used was an uncooked recipe:
28 oz can of 6 n 1ís.
ľ tsp black pepper
Ĺ tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbs. Red wine vinegar

allowed to sit in fridge overnight.† Very basic sauce; could use some work.
The cheese mix was 2/3 mozzerealla and 1/3 provolone.†

« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 09:48:33 AM by pizzaluvr »
"Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke"......
  "And some white toast..."  Jake & Elwood

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
Re: Thin crust variations
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 09:26:56 AM »
Can't get the pic loader to work right, so I'll add the pics as replies.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 09:36:20 AM by pizzaluvr »

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 09:31:27 AM »
Here's the 50% 00, 25% HG and 25% cake flour pie.† I liked this one the best for texture.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 09:33:11 AM by pizzaluvr »

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 09:40:50 AM »
Here is the new pizza stone that showed up at my door from UPS at 8pm last night.† Just in time!† It cost $30.75, plus about $10 shipping (I had other items in the order) from foodservicedirect.com.† Itís about ĹĒ thick plus ĹĒ for the ďlegsĒ so theyíre calling it an inch-thick disc.† Still seems more sturdy than the ones Iíve had in the past.

I set my pan on top of the stone.† For a NY pizza, I will cook directly on it.† BTW, you might see a pizza screen in the photos.† I put the pizza on it immediately after it's done cooking for about† 5 minutes to allow any steam to escape.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 09:59:34 AM by pizzaluvr »

Offline buzz

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 10:38:50 AM »
I find that AP works just fine using my thin crust method. if you don't like it, try using Ceresota flour, which has a higher gluten level than AP, but not so high as bread flour.

Are you putting enough salt in your dough recipe?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 10:42:01 AM »
Great test and fine looking pizza.  Like you I have tried AP and high gluten but ended up using KA bread flour.  I will make my dough before starting work in the morning and leave it out all day.  As DKM noted it takes a minimum of 9 hours.  I have tried shorter times and the flavor fell way off.
We try to make a differant style of pizza every week, so this week thin crust, next week Chicago and the next my American, Papa jhons style.
Randy

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 05:57:17 PM »
Thanks Randy and Buzz.  I am going to up the salt a little next time and also let it sit out instead of using refrigeration.  I am after a distinct yeasty somewhat salty taste.   

Mark

pizzapan