Author Topic: VPN program in Naples, Italy.  (Read 5389 times)

Offline bernie516

VPN program in Naples, Italy.
« on: April 07, 2010, 04:40:40 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the forum (been reading it for nearly a year but just recently started posting) and am thinking about taking a course in Neapolitan Pizza at the VPN in Naples.   Marco had mentioned the program being fairly new but I wanted to get some feedback from ppl that have taken the course there... :)  I know must "culinary" programs here in the states have that "factory" feel to them..focusing more on enrolling students and pushing them out as fast as possible so I just wanted to make sure I'm not getting myself into something like that in Italy.

1.  How did you feel about the program? Was it worth the trip to italy? 
2.  Did it make you feel more confident about making the pizzas and working the woodfire oven? 
3.  Are you fairly new to the pizza scene? ie.  never worked at a pizza restaurant, etc.
4.  Where did you stay?  (I hear there are some pretty seedy parts in Naples)
5.  Can you briefly go over what was taught to you there?
6.  Are/were you fluent in Italian when you attended the program?  Do you recommend that one should be before attending?
7.  Which pizzeria did you end up working at while there and how was the program there?

and... anything else you would like to add about your experiences there.. :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 07:52:51 PM by bernie516 »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: VPN program in Naples, Italy.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Marco had mentioned the program being fairly new but I wanted to get some feedback from ppl that have taken the course there... :)

I think he meant that it was reworked not new. I am pretty sure that the VPN classes have been around for a while. I think they just "upgraded" the program. I am working at a pizza place right now, trying to save to go to the VPN classes in Italy as well. I should be able to go to the first June class if not the second.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:36:23 PM »
going to Naples is good not just for the training, but also to eat at all the different pizzerias, talk to pizzaiolos....

i had my VPN training here in Sao Paulo Brazil by a Italian pizzaiolo (Giulio Adriani), in Rio it was Peppe Miele, iam not sure were it was better, but ive learned allot for sure...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Creeper

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 08:40:34 PM »
I'm attending the VPN class next month and will try to report back.

BrickStoneOven, you might want to contact then as when I e-mailed them last week the only availability in June was for the class starting later in the month.  The 28th, I think.  In fact, I wanted to take the late May class, but apparently that's booked up as well.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 09:35:36 PM »
Yea I was thinking that it might be booked up but I don't have the money for the class or the ticket yet so I don't wanna get one or the other till I have all the money I need. If that means I have to take a later class than I guess I will have to suck it up, at least I will save more money if it is the later. I read somewhere that in August a lot of the pizzeria's go on vacation is that true? I don't wanna go in August if they are all closed and miss out on the food. Andrea I got my PMQ mag yesterday and Giulio Adriani was in there, he won the PMQ America Plate thing. He put edible silver on it. Its funny because the first video I saw that you posted was with him(Giulio) at the oven and I thought he was you. Then I saw your other videos and it was some other guy(you) I was like ??? ???, later I realized it wasn't you because I read some stuff on Giulio.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 06:59:54 AM »
thats funny  :-D :-D

he is moving to NY in a week for a consulting job of 2 years, he was here in Sao Paulo this week for a private training for a pizzeria...

Offline bernie516

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 07:43:52 PM »
I'm attending the VPN class next month and will try to report back.

BrickStoneOven, you might want to contact then as when I e-mailed them last week the only availability in June was for the class starting later in the month.  The 28th, I think.  In fact, I wanted to take the late May class, but apparently that's booked up as well.

Great.  Let me know how it goes. :) Im planning for a trip in November..

Offline pmikal

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 07:40:18 PM »
Just wanted to bump this thread - did any of you go? Please post your experiences. Thanks!

Offline Creeper

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 03:39:23 PM »
I went in May.  Was a great experience.  Expensive but worth it.

Are you interested in anything in particular?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 04:18:38 PM »
I've read (although I can't recall from where exactly) varying #'s for the hydration ratio.  Can someone clarify what is the proper hydration ratio for VPN standards? 

Thx

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »
I've read (although I can't recall from where exactly) varying #'s for the hydration ratio.  Can someone clarify what is the proper hydration ratio for VPN standards? 

Chau,

You might check out http://www.fornobravo.com/vera_pizza_napoletana/VPN_spec.html.

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 04:35:57 PM »
Thank you Peter.  :D

Offline pmikal

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 05:01:45 PM »
Which training program did you enroll in? Do you have a url or email?

I'd like a single day of private training next month in Naples or Rome -emailed and didn't get a response.

Offline Creeper

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 06:42:32 PM »
Which training program did you enroll in? Do you have a url or email?

I'd like a single day of private training next month in Naples or Rome -emailed and didn't get a response.

I took this class: http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/eng_formazione.php.  I'm not aware of any day classes in Naples.  And, in my experience, Neapolitan pizzerias aren't esp common in Rome.  They're there, but nothing like in Naples, obviously.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 06:35:03 AM »
I took this class: http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/eng_formazione.php.  I'm not aware of any day classes in Naples.  And, in my experience, Neapolitan pizzerias aren't esp common in Rome.  They're there, but nothing like in Naples, obviously.

Creeper - Any chance you could go into details on the class experience? I, for one, would like to hear about the week from someone who has done it first hand.

John

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 10:55:52 AM »
Hi John, i had the same training here in Brazil, the maestro was Giulio Adriani.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9737.0.html

ive learned allot more here (pizzamaking.com), but to practice with a teacher specially the dough opening technique was very COOL !!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:58:50 AM by andreguidon »

Offline Creeper

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 10:29:28 AM »
Creeper - Any chance you could go into details on the class experience? I, for one, would like to hear about the week from someone who has done it first hand.

John

Sure thing.  It's a very concentrated and practical program.  Each day consists of many hours in the lab (roughly 9 - 5, though there's usually a lecture or side-trip in there) followed by a stage in a local pizzeria from around 7-11.  There are six students per class, one primary instructor, an assistant or two, and various folks from the associazione who stop by on occasion.  Lab work consists of making dough, sauce, prepping ingredients, manning the oven.  And making lots and lots of pizzas.  Dough technique is the focus, as it should be.  Within an hour of day one, you've made your first dough.  Within a few hours, you're stretching dough and firing pizzas.  Feedback is immediate and incredibly useful.  You're learning from a master pizzaiolo, who is also giving individual and group feedback.  The hands-on approach is extremely valuable.

At night, you're on your own.  Each student is assigned to a restaurant, and it's essentially up to the restaurant to determine how involved you'll be.  I ended up at a great restaurant and did a decent amount of hands-on work, including making smaller pizzas, doing prep, and doing whatever needed doing, whether it was bringing fresh beers to a table or making change.

While I've learned a ton here and elsewhere, there's really no comparison, or perhaps substitute, to something like the VPN class.  Aside from working in a Neapolitan pizzeria.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 07:18:41 PM »

While I've learned a ton here and elsewhere, there's really no comparison, or perhaps substitute, to something like the VPN class.  Aside from working in a Neapolitan pizzeria.

Thanks to both you and Andre for the details. Sounds like an amazing week. Do you speak fluent Italian, and was that a requirement?

John

Offline Creeper

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 12:13:42 AM »
Thanks to both you and Andre for the details. Sounds like an amazing week. Do you speak fluent Italian, and was that a requirement?

John

I don't.  There's a (roughly) $250 supplement for an in-class translator, which is a must if you don't speak Italian fluently.  At the restaurant, you're on your own!  A couple of guys at the restaurant knew a bit of English, but there was a lot of gesturing and consulting of the phrasebook, for sure.

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 11:16:30 AM »
I don't.  There's a (roughly) $250 supplement for an in-class translator, which is a must if you don't speak Italian fluently.  At the restaurant, you're on your own!  A couple of guys at the restaurant knew a bit of English, but there was a lot of gesturing and consulting of the phrasebook, for sure.

if you dont mind me asking, how much was the course, and once you factor in air ticket, hotels, etc.. whats a ball park figure we can go on for a training trip like this?

thanks..

pizzapan