Author Topic: need a lil bit of help  (Read 5258 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: need a lil bit of help
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »
Brad, he's a friend of the family and won't teach you how to make pizza? ???
I couldn't see any pics of their pizza on that site but they do mention brick oven pizza. That could mean either elite NY style or NP.  If it's NP style you are after, I'm not much help I'm afraid.

Offline braddonbach

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 12:52:17 PM »
Yeah, he's not much help unless you need financing help  :( I've been talking with the manager of his new shop and she's been helping me out some.
Anybody on the forum that you know can help with the dough for neopolitan style?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 12:59:11 PM »
im gonna try again on this computer i was thinking maybe cuz my home computer is a mac it wasn't workin idk. As far as any pizza it would prolly be the chain of Brothers restaurants, a friend of the family is the one that has the chain he has 5 pissa shops and 1 italian restaurant Giotti's,  I tried asking for some hints on the dough but he wouldn't give me any hints   :-\ here is there link for the new store. http://www.brotherspizzapa.com/ i believe there style of pizza is more of a neopolitan.

braddonbach,

We have different Brothers pizza businesses in our area.  This is one of them.  Is this what you want your pizza to look like?  There is one near me in E-town, Pa.

http://www.brotherspizzawestchester.com/

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline braddonbach

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 01:05:53 PM »
yes sir, thats how they make them up here also, i've really haven't any other then a neopolitan-style pizza thats what most of the shops around here sell them and sicilian
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:08:33 PM by braddonbach »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 01:10:06 PM »
yes sir, thats how they make them up here also, i've really haven't any other then a neopolitan-style pizza thats what most of the shops around here sell them and sicilian

braddonbach,

Are you sure they are not NY style? That is what the pizzas Brothers in E-town sells.  Their pizzas are good.

Norma

Offline braddonbach

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2010, 01:12:12 PM »
all their menu's advertise neopolitan style pizza  ??? Im not really sure honestly nystyle description seems to fit them best though just with the lack of greasy-ness

scott123

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 01:21:25 PM »
Brad, I took a look at the slide show on the site, and, although it was difficult to see the pizza, I'm relatively certain that the pizza that they sell isn't Neapolitan style.  It all boils down to the oven, and the deck oven they're working with won't produce a Neapolitan style pizza.  Now, if they've got a wood fired oven in the back/out of view, that's a different story, but places that have both deck ovens and WFOs are very rare.

In other words, it may say 'Neapolitan' on the menu, but it's probably just a NY style pie topped in a Neapolitan fashion or maybe stretched a little thinner. With that oven, this is a NY style shop.

The photo you posted is typical of a dense/bready supermarket flour based pizza with a long bake time (with a weak stone and or weak oven). I noticed your post last week looking for high gluten flour in your area.  How did those leads pan out?

Describe your oven setup.  Gas or electric? Peak temp? Stone brand and material? If you can, take a few photos of the interior of your oven with the stone in place.

Lastly, get a digital scale.  With your professional aspirations, you shouldn't be working volumetrically.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2010, 01:21:56 PM »
all their menu's advertise neopolitan style pizza  ??? Im not really sure honestly nystyle description seems to fit them best though just with the lack of greasy-ness

braddonbach,

Maybe if you ask them what temperature they use in their ovens, that could help you to decide if it is NY style or Neopolitan pizza.  Other members on this forum might also be able to help you figure this out.

edit:  I see scott123 already posted on the kind of pies he thinks Brothers sell.  :)

Norma
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:23:31 PM by norma427 »

Offline braddonbach

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 01:30:36 PM »
I just ordered some stuff from pennmac it was easier to get all the stuff since i called several of the places and they told me they didn't do cash and carry. I tried my future brother-inlaw who is a seus sp? chef at one of our local 5 stars and still waiting on him to get back to me if their supplier carries what i am looking for. From pennmac i got some grande part skim chees, 6 n 1 sauce and a 50 lbs bag of highgluten bromated flour. should be here within the week. I did get a scale good for up to 11 lbs (good enough for the small table top mixer) accurate to .01 ounces. The oven we have is just a regular electric oven gets up to 500 and i preheat for an hour with the stone on the bottom rung. i make the pizza on a pizza screen for 7-10 minutes then transfer it to the stone to get the browning and crisp. I'll try to get a pic when i get off tonight.

Offline sonofapizza

• Gluten for Punishment...
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 04:42:15 AM »
Hey Brad - I wish you the best of luck in this endeavour.  My grandfather always told me one thing over and over again:  "Perserverance over everything".

It was great advice - the first place I walked into for some advice turned me down.  The next pizzeria I walked into, I just over-complimented the owner's slices and begged him to show me the ropes for free.  He said sure and taught me more than I had expected.  Sometimes you have to be a pushy bastard in life to get what you want.  You have to keep bugging people for help.  Make em laugh, break down the barrier and learn from some old timers.  Two weeks in a nice whole-in-the-wall style pizzeria will do wonders for your final plan.  You'll make 50lbs of dough a few times.  The Aioli will school you on strecthing pies, launching them into a proper oven, and you'll write it all down.  Thats what i did anyway.  So I did two weeks here and there at various joints in town for free - just to learn the trade and see if I can hang.  And guess what, after you stress out after a few lunch rushes.  You F-up a few pies.  Then you get a the full feel of what it's like to run a place.  And that is what most places will do.  Its normally the ex-convict whose maikng your great NY style pies - then locking up shop for the night.  Just be truthful with your purpose and someone will let you in on the big pizza secrets.  You'll love it.  Hard work is great.  It's an honest job - and if you find some cheap and creative ways to advertise, you'll get busy quick.  Advertising is key though.  And menu flyers work great!  Just hire some kids to flyer the footprint of your potential neighbourhood, and you'll see people coming into your shop soon.  Wether your pies are garbage or not...  Las Vegas is living proof of successful garbage pizzeria.  Everything gets better with constant practice

Also, it doesn't hurt to hire a decent looking younger female to sit at the desk all day.  Someone who's easy one the eyes.  You'd be surpised how many guys will come back just to have a quick superfluous conversation with a cute chick..... and then buy a couple slices and a large Coke.  Its those small things that seperate a good small pizza place from a pizzeria who cranks out lousy food.  It matters to me, anyway.  On a sublime note - I think it matters to anybody who'll be parting with their cash.

And dont be affraid to give away a few slices here and there.  Regardless of RoadPizza's claims of sky-rocketing flour prices (tee-hee... still makes me laugh a little.)  Those free slices didnt cost you much at all, but it'll really resonate in the minds of hungry dudes who like that sort of thing.  Its kinda like your spending a dime to make a buck, ya see what I'm getting at here?  My immigrant dad taught me alot about building relationships in business.  And consumers love a great host.

Anyway, that is my current advice to you.  Sure, you'll get the recipies down quicker than you think.  Like I already said:  Put an ad on C-list for a pizza guy and you'll be flooded with talent who will be quick to show the ropes a little.  You'll get a great dough recipie out of it, and maybe even a decent sauce too.  Yeah, the economy sucks right now, but people will never stop eating pizza.....and flour will always be nice and cheap
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 04:47:28 AM by sonofapizza »

Offline braddonbach

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 09:51:29 AM »
Thanks for the post, I appreciate it. The place i buy from for pizza's the manager/pizza maker has been helping me out. although she can be a lil hard to understand cuz of her accent but its helpful none the less.
I had just got my order in from pennmac yesterday man i felt like a little kid waking up for christmas  :-D, I made some dough using a new recipe my sister in laws roommate who is a baking chef, idk how it'll turn out will find out tonight and get a pic for you guys this evening hopefully itll be better then the grocery store ingredients  :chef:

Offline braddonbach

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 08:45:10 AM »
cheese pizza

Offline braddonbach

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 08:45:33 AM »
pep

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 01:21:14 PM »
too low of a temp and/or not long enough of a cook time.   can't open a shop with undercooked/raw looking pizza.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 05:12:18 PM »
.....and flour will always be nice and cheap

Theo,

As discussed at http://www.bakingbusiness.com/Markets%20and%20Data/Market%20Coverage/2010/9/Hard%20winter%20wheat%20basis%20surge%20on%20hold.aspx?NewsLetter=true, wheat futures have been rising quickly recently. This is confirmed by the General Mills Market Tracker at http://www.gmflour.com/gmflour/markettracker.aspx#chart. A few years ago, we went through some substantial increases in flour prices. However, I haven't been seeing the same level of concern as I saw back then by posters at the PMQ Think Tank. Back then, members were talking about using weaker (cheaper) flours or adding things like vital wheat gluten to weaker flours as a way of lowering costs, even though higher flour costs do not have a major impact at the dough ball level. From what I have been reading, price increases are occurring for several pizza ingredients, as noted, for example, at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9354 and at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9265&sid=26f744cd69441a9e3eb5919d2fe67da4#p63402. The soft economy has not been helped matters any.

At the retail level, I have been seeing some increases in the price of flours that I use. For a while, they had dropped but nowhere near the level I was paying a few years ago.

Peter

Offline braddonbach

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 10:57:31 AM »
too low of a temp and/or not long enough of a cook time.   can't open a shop with undercooked/raw looking pizza.
Yeah, I normally take the pizza off the pizza screen at that point and then place them on to the stone to crisp, but for some reason I could not slide off the pizza's like I normally do. This was the recipe for this dough
flour 100%
water 50%
sugar 2%
yeast 3%
salt    2%
oil      18%
The oil was WAY too much, you could smell the oil and taste it with every bite.

for this week I adjusted it to this
flour 100%
water 63%
sugar 2%
yeast 3%
salt   2%
oil     3%

Do i need to adjust anything else?

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 12:01:53 PM »
try using a cookie sheet to block the top element from direct heat if you have a convection oven,  if you have two racks that is.  place the one rack at the lowest, the other at the highest.  the lowest rack will be your pizza rack, and the highest will hold the cookie sheet.   i've been struggling with crust for months in my oven at all sorts of temps, screens and stones and the top element is just too powerful in contrast to the bottom.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline braddonbach

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 02:30:52 PM »
ok I'll try that c what happens on wednesday.
thanks

Offline sonofapizza

• Gluten for Punishment...
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 03:48:10 AM »
At the retail level, I have been seeing some increases in the price of flours that I use. For a while, they had dropped but nowhere near the level I was paying a few years ago.

Peter

I know you know your stuff, Pete.  I was just trying to illustrate the point that a rise in cost in materials shouldn't deter the guy from going for it.  The only reason I could see for wheat prices rising is the cost to haul them across country, which is ultimately atributed to rising petrol costs.....right

I dunno, I was just teasing RoadPizza a little.  I am sure he is a wealth of info as well.  On that note - the Grand opening of my good freind's Pizzeria was a smash hit tonight.  He said the 50lb bags of KYROL were nice and cheap.  I am still aiming for a small shop somewhere in the future.  More inspiration.  Jimmy's pies were fantastic as usual.

BTW, thank you for always being so thorough.  I appreciate that. - Theo
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 03:50:28 AM by sonofapizza »

Offline braddonbach

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2010, 08:57:04 AM »
Ok, so The pizza came out great for the most part, still a little undercooked in the center, but I believe it was because the dough was so thin in the center there was nothing to cook :-[ , However, the dough was pretty neat, I didnt have to work out a pie like normal i took it outta the container and as i was doing so gravity stretched it out, and boom i had my 16 inch pizza, I know that shouldn't of happened that easy any ideas on what I may have done wrong?