Author Topic: Los Angeles and pizza  (Read 5289 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

Los Angeles and pizza
« on: September 10, 2010, 08:31:53 PM »
Okay so I've become somewhat of a pizza fanatic over the past year and have now moved back to Los Angeles. I thought great, big city, great pizza. But here's the thing. I want an authentic Naples style pizza. And i want it to be good. Where is this place? I've been all over yelp and ive seen places mentioned here on the forum but none of them are true Naples style. I was just in new York and there were tons of places. But I can't find one in LA or the surrounding area. I'll drive! Someone please help! Yes I know about mozza and other places but those aren't what I'm looking for. I'm sure they are great, and I'll probably try them. Just need to complete this search first.

Online BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Los Angeles and pizza
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:53:27 PM »
You have to head up to San Fran. They have a bunch of places there like A16, Flour+Water, Delfina, & Una Pizza Napoletana is opening next week. There is also Pizzaiolo in Oakland, CA. Those are the places I can think of off the top of my head but I beat there are more.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:09:14 PM »
Ya I know San Fran is good. And I'd actually like to go to the UPN opening or close to it. ( anyone want to make the drive with me)? But that's the point, what the heck is LA doing?

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 10:33:56 AM »
Antica Pizza in Marina Del Rey.

Online BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 11:21:15 AM »
Antica Pizza in Marina Del Rey.

I have read a lot of bad reviews on that place. A few on here and more on the web.

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 11:33:48 AM »
I am not sure why they get bad reviews?  I have never had a bad  pizza there and the service is  exceptional.  They always take time to chat  with me about pizza making, even giving me a tour of the operation and letting me shape a few dough balls. 

Scott

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 12:54:54 PM »
I checked out the pics of antica pizza and to be honest they look better than anything else so far I've seen online. Thanks for the suggestion.  But yes I did notice lots of subpar reviews on yelp. Bu yelp is not always to be trusted with something like pizza when you can find dominos with 4 stars. I just try to make judgment based on reviews from people who sound like they actually know pizza. 

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 03:02:03 AM »
Pizza e Vino in Rancho Santa Margarita is worth a stop if you venture behind the Orange (County) curtain.

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »
Pizzeria Ortica in Costa Mesa (acrooss from South Coast Plaza) makes a decent Neopolitan pie

Offline havanahead

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 05:03:39 PM »
In Long Beach try La Parolaccia on Broadway.  This is a gem that is tucked away between Belmont Shore
and downtown Long Beach. This place has a nice neighborhood vibe that is something very special.
http://www.laparolacciausa.com/longbeach.html

I would also agree with Tony about Pizzeria Ortica, give it a try!  When I was there I really enjoyed the
Salsiccia and the Salame piccante e funghi. 

Fred

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 05:13:46 PM »
Fred,

I've tried La Parolaccia....excellent.....very authentic Italian........haven't tried the pizza. Although he uses a brick oven, the pizza didn't look like true Neopolitan....

Tony

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 04:10:12 PM »
I know this old topic I started is a little dead, but I thought I'd post some results. I went to antica pizza in marina del Rey with my dad and brother and had a great time there. The pizza was okay but the atmosphere and apps were great. The flavor of the pizza dough was a little lacking, it was slightly to tough for me and the crumb really left me wanting. The waiter also didn't speak great English so that was a bit of a downside because I wanted to chat pizza and shape some dough balls like a previous poster had mentioned.

I also went to pizza ortica in costa Mesa.  Kind of a weird restaurant, weird parking, and the environment didn't feel as nice as the previous, maybe just because it has like 50 foot ceilings and is shaped like a bowling alley. But I do think the flavor was actually better here. It seems like they are probably using very different starters and I prefered this pizza. I went back and took my wife and it wasn't nearly as good tho a second time. I think whoever was supposed to go in and heat the oven was late or something because my pizza was timed at about 4:25. That's much too long, while the flavor was still good, the texture was destroyed. Also a very poor crumb both times I went which was the same as antica.

Just for a side note my wife and I were at Disneyland and ate at Naples which claims tradational authentic pies. They had the right stuff, caputo, marasmus etc, but the pizza had no soul. Only eat there I'd you already there for something else.

Hope someone reads this and finds it useful

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 11:56:40 AM »
I have only gone to Antica Pizza.   I really liked it, even though I did not get to make pizza but I picked out a seat next to the oven.  I loved the sausage and broccoli rape pizza.

Offline othafa9

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 11:31:05 AM »
Las Vegas' Settebello will open a branch in Pasedena in a few months.  Should be good!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 02:31:44 PM »
if you go to antica the pizza can be up and down. the oven is kept at lower temperatures on slow nights. weekends they crank it up to handle the increased pizza demand. they sell a lot more non pizza menu items than they do pizza.
 it is a training store for the vpn school, so your pizza could be made by a really new cook. if you ask that they have either jose barros or an experienced house employee make your pizza ,you will get a good pie.i did the training and i would not have been happy with some of the pies i made the first couple of days.now, a normal customer might not know the difference, but this group sure would.

Offline pizzard

Los Angeles and pizza
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 10:43:16 PM »
We love Antica Pizzeria!  It is our annual New Years Eve outing:)  Honestly, I rarely get their pizza, because I love many of their other dishes, but my son loves their pizza and it is as close to Naples as you will find.

I usually make pizza at home, but here are a few pizza places worth trying:

Villa Italian, Culver City, rectangular, Sicilian style.  The original owner for over 30 years was from Chicago.  There are new owners twice over, but the pizza is still pretty good.

http://www.charliesitalian.com/...formerly Cialuzzi's in Redondo Beach.  They recently renovated and offer pizza 3 ways...Sicilian, Jersey style (very thin), New York style.  Love their sausage.  It now has a sports bar section, and a family dining section. 

Valentino's in El Segundo/Manhattan Beach is pretty good.  The crust is pretty soft, but their sauce is very good.

Jacopo's in Beverly Hills...also Mulberry Pizzeria, which is owned by the actress Cathy Moriarty...http://www.mulberrypizzeria.com/

I have found much better pizza places in Long Beach and Orange County.  LA is totally pizza challenged.

Good luck!   :pizza:

PS...I was at Antica last week.  They now sell their fresh pizza dough to go for $2.50.   :chef:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:52:22 PM by pizzard »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 03:16:03 PM »
Thanks for the other suggestions, to be honest I'm not sure if I'll travel if it's not for Neapolitan pie. Also we did order apps when went to antica and there were also wonderful. My family always seems to order a caprese calamari.

Offline pizzard

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 11:04:41 PM »
Antica Pizzeria closed their doors as of this evening.   :'(   

They are hoping to relocate locally, but the existing landlord has taken over their space for a new Equinox fitness center. 

As soon as I hear information about their new location, I will post it.

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 11:24:36 PM »
Sad to see them go.  I really liked hanging out there before work.  I always got in a good chat with Pepe.  He was always willing to teach me a few things about Neapolitan pizza.  I heard they were closing, so I stopped in 3 times in the last 2 weeks for dinner and a bag of Caputo.  I am looking forward to their reopening.

Scott D.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 11:09:21 PM »
I think you will like Johnnys in Beverly Hills
Its on the corner 2 - 3 blocks away from the Beverly Hills Hilton on the right side
On Santa Monica Blvd going towards santa Monica...............JT

pizzapan