Author Topic: Mediterranean Shrimp Pizza  (Read 2191 times)

Offline harrisa

• Aaron's Pizza Page
Mediterranean Shrimp Pizza
« on: October 13, 2010, 11:16:48 AM »
Hopefully I put this in the right place..

Fired up the oven this weekend and my wife made a Mediterranean Shrimp Salad Pizza based on her favorite salad at a local Bosnian Restaurant.

Peter Reinhart Neapolitan Dough at 72% hydration (not doing that again... going to keep it at 69%)
Pesto sauce (From American Pie)
Kalamata Olives
Artichokes
Mozzarella

Spring Salad Mix and sauteed Tiger Shrimp added after taking out of the oven.

Thanks for looking.

aa
Bored?

Visit  Aaron's Pizza Page

to see how I went from cooking Chef Boyardee to a WFO in 5 years

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Mediterranean Shrimp Pizza
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 01:02:01 PM »
Really great pizza - I love the toppings. What was the bake time? You kept it pretty round even with that high of hydration - quite a feat in my opinion. How was the crumb?

John

Offline harrisa

• Aaron's Pizza Page
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 02:08:03 PM »
Thanks John, we were very pleased with how it turned out.  I'm not sure on the bake time... but the difference between the first pic and the third is 3m6s... and factoring in putting the peel down picking up the DSLR I'd say around 2m.  You're right... it was a challenge keeping it round... most of the pies looked like footballs and I did lose the toppings sliding a couple in the oven(as you can tell by the black spot in pic #2).  The crumb was very chewy, too chewy in fact.  Workability, the chewiness, and lack of flavor are the problems I had with this one and why I'm going back to 69%

One of these days I'm going to make a phenomenal crust... one of these days.

aa
Bored?

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 02:35:48 PM »
aa, Great looking and I like your choice of toppings.
Don

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 03:16:15 PM »
aa - You may want to try an IDY/00 flour recipe that is more in the range of 60-62% hydration to get the crust you are looking for. Maybe using a 24-36 hour cold ferment. And I believe that you are using a Casa2G 90? Get the heat up to 850-900 on the floor and you should be able to do a 60-90 second bake. And make sure you have a strong flame on your fire. That, combined with a significantly lower hydration, will probably reduce the chewiness and give you a lighter crumb.

John

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 11:16:28 PM »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 11:43:21 PM »
Aaron.

Great looking pie. Very California in your topping creativity. 

Are you doming the pie to get color/cheese melting?  Also how long is it taking you to fire up the oven?  How hot is the floor gettting? How long is it retaining heat?  If you had to build over again would you add more than the 3 " of dome insulation that comes with the kit?

Keep on posting.  And your oven pics are always fascinating.

AZ

Offline harrisa

• Aaron's Pizza Page
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 02:05:54 AM »
@Don, Thank you, the best part is that it ended up costing $2 more than a Supreme from Pizza Hut :)

@Jon - Thanks Jon, 00 flour is not available locally(100 mile radius), so until I can find some at a reasonable cost I've been using KABF.  According to my notes, the baker's percentage of this one was

100% KABF
72% h20
.5% Instant Yeast
2% salt
5% olive oil
3min speed 1 on KA, 30min rest, 4 min speed 2 on KA
26h bulk, 4h room temp ball

Yep, using a Casa 2G90.  The oven floor on this particular pizza was probably between 800-850... first pies were in the 850-900 range.  Next firing (November 13th  :'( ), I'll try 62%. 

@Pizzablogger - Wow! I'm flattered.. thank you very much.

@Ponzu - Thanks, I don't think I domed this particular pie although I could be wrong, I had a couple little helpers I was trying to snap pictures of while cooking.  I don't know if I mentioned this to you in a previous conversation or not... but it does seem to be taking a shorter amount of time to heat up every firing.  It was originally 2.25h and now it's down to 1.5h.  18 hours later it was still 480, and I'd probably add another layer... it doesn't need it, and I'm not taking advantage of it yet... but I don't think it would hurt anything. 

aa

Bored?

pizzapan