Author Topic: how do these guys do it??  (Read 6421 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: how do these guys do it??
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 10:35:29 AM »
When you were at Keste did you work during business hours? If you were did you experience the same nervousness that you felt at your store.

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 01:06:56 PM »
Is that a Forno Bravo Toscana oven?

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 02:16:36 PM »
 bso, i did keste at 6 am to noon. roberto doesn't like to train at keste he normaly trains out of amano.because of my schedule we did early morning i was done before lunch started. we did all of our cooking starting at about 9 am he would make i would back then we would switch.the oven management was very difficult he runs a very hot oven and speed is important. the way that they spin and move the pizza on the turning peel is all technique. i am half way through the training the second half will be at amanos. if anything made me nervous is was roberto he is passionate about his pizza.
 ponzu, that is a toscana oven. 

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 02:45:48 PM »
It looks like a really nice oven.
What size is it and what are your impressions of it's performance?  I'm particularly interested since you have had the unique experience of being able to compare it to a proffessional neapilitan oven at keste.

-ponzu

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 04:31:03 PM »
 i can tell you it is not in the same league as a true neapolitan oven but it serves it purpose for me. i have a little privevera 70 at home and i modified it by putting in a layer of 1.5 inch bricks on the original floor and i with that the dome is is now 13 inches from the floor and i love the way it cooks pizza . the toscana is still new under 20 firings so i think it will get better.     

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 04:47:39 PM »
Interesting.  so how does the true neapolitan oven show its advantages?

Also what size is the toscana? 

I didn't realize you also had a modified primavera so I'm interested in the pros and cons of these 2 ovens as well.  Are you considering raising the floor of the toscana as well?

AZ

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 05:09:41 PM »
if anything made me nervous is was roberto he is passionate about his pizza. 

I'm sure anyone of us would have felt the same way with Roberto teaching us.

I thought you had this oven? http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10538.0.html. Did you get another one.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 10:51:18 AM »
  bso, i sold that oven it was to hard to move by trailer. i am trying something different for a Mobil oven. i am using a roller bed and mounting it on a utility truck. i am hoping to be able to pull the oven out from the bed a foot or so and work from there. the guy that is building the oven cooks off of his bed and has about 60,000 miles on the oven and truck and he doesn't baby it, it is crack free.
  ponzu, the dimensions of that oven is 39 inch interior. and i am going to raise that floor to see what the change will be. currently when the oven gets hot the floor cooks to quickly and i have to raise the pie with the turning peel to cook the top.
  the big difference in the imported oven is  balanced high heat which gives the rim that nice lift and the floor doesn't prematurely char the bottom. now there are hot and cold spots in those ovens and they are used to manage baking times. they also use a lot less wood . last night i went through 15 pizzas and everything went well, until i started using colder dough. as my supply of dough dwindled i waited to long to pull more dough. i lost a few pies with peel sticking problems. pics to come after work.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 06:51:10 PM »
Larry - A quick question about Keste if you are at liberty to discuss - is Roberto using cake yeast?

John

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 09:51:40 PM »
 i don't think that roberto would appreciate me giving information on his methods. he does follow this forum very close . he may answer this question.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 10:13:25 PM »
 enclosed are pics of pizzas that were cooked sunday night. as well as my home oven with the raised floor. the whole interior has been raised 1.25 inches . the one pizza that has ingredients is gluten free. it was cooked in a dedicated pan and cut with a dedicated pizza knife.

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 10:25:59 PM »
Great looking pies.

I am very interested in your impression of the primavera before and after raising the floor.  Are you getting a cooking dynamic closer to keste?

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 10:43:43 PM »
 yes, it is more balanced. the dough sets a lot quicker. and it cooks hotter. if you buy the kit you can adjust your floor height to your liking. mugnaini has a 30 inch oven that has a 12.5 dome height. my last bake in my home oven

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2010, 11:20:07 PM »
Thats got some serious char >:D.  Looks delicious.  What temp was it cooked at?

Also what is this kit of which you speak? ???

I got a quote of close to 10K to build an outdoor kitchen around a Casa 2G 100 today :'(.  I'm highly motivated to find an alternate path to a WFO.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 02:36:31 AM »
 forno bravo has the giardano kit which is 28 inches it is a nice small oven that you can build yourself . this is a better picture

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 11:31:32 AM »
Fantastic pizzas! They look so authentic.

I wonder if FB changed the primavera design after you purchased your oven - my height is 13.5. I believe the P70 I bought in May has a giardino 70 for the engine.

John

cornicione54

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 12:51:09 PM »
Zaman,
the last picture in your set of 4 (3rd from last picture you posted) - IMG_2650.jpg -  is a dead ringer for a Keste pie imho
Awesome work! I'm sure Roberto would be proud :)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 07:01:42 PM »
 corn 54 thank you.
 john, when get home i will measure my height. you pies look really good and balanced i wouldn't worry about it. i will check.
 i think visually my pizzas are better but i am still working on my ingredients and dough.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 11:00:23 PM »
 john, i am at 13 inches centered on the 70 so you are right on. your pizzas look great so i would leave your set up alone. you finished oven shape is flatter than mine so you must have a different design .

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 09:15:02 AM »
Thanks Larry. I was about to cut some brick this weekend, so this frees up some time.

John
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:55:59 AM by dellavecchia »

pizzapan