Author Topic: Recipe fopr Authentic Chicago Deep Dish Pizza  (Read 116239 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re: Recipe fopr Authentic Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2005, 10:47:18 AM »
The Lou's recipe posted on the food network site has the same instructions on knead time for a mixer.
"In a mixer combine the water and the yeast and allow the yeast to dissolve. Add the remaining ingredients except for the cornmeal and begin to mix the dough using a dough hook on low speed. Once a ball is formed mix on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes until the dough becomes elastic and smooth"

Interesting, I always thought it was a typo.

Randy

Offline buzz

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2005, 11:59:04 AM »
Very interesting! Mine doesn't come out elastic and smooth, and I'm not familiar with how thoroughly mixers mix on medium speed. But this could make the difference between Uno's/Malnati's (greasy) and Giordano's (biscuit-like)--the mixer, even at that short time, could overmix (for my taste, anyway!), interfering with the biscuit-like texture of the final product.

When I do it by hand, it comes out as a rough ball, a bit scrappy, but still holding itself together--but defintely not elastic and smooth!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2005, 02:07:51 PM »
Good find, but the way I read it, you mix it 1-2 minutes after it forms a ball, which can take several minutes.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2005, 02:36:02 PM »
But the mixing speed is on stir and then you go to 4 for 1 or 2 min.  In the recipe it never says what to do with the cornmeal but in the review section someone said it was put on bottom; thrown in the pan you think?  Two reviewers said it tasted just like Lou's but one said no it did not.  But it uses about the same oil as Buzz's recipe.

Randy

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2005, 03:04:43 PM »
Yea, the cornmeal is put into the pan. Another thing that I believe they do is coat the pan heavily with actual butter.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2005, 03:26:37 PM »
Here is Buzz recipe converted by best guess.  Any comments?
This makes two, 10" pizzas
16 oz KA AP flour
1 1/2 teaspoon  yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon  sugar
6 oz  water 
¼ cup oil or Crisco
1 1/2  Teaspoon salt
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 04:19:46 PM by Randy »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2005, 05:31:28 PM »
DKM--

Did it come out biscuit/pie-like for you?

I couldn't use better words.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2005, 05:34:43 PM »
Here is Buzz recipe converted by best guess.  Any comments?
This makes two, 10" pizzas
16 oz KA AP flour
1 1/2 teaspoon  yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon  sugar
6 oz  water 
¼ cup oil or Crisco
1 1/2  Teaspoon salt

I'll have to wait until I can get home and check my notes, but I think I calculated one all by weight using grams.

DKM

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2005, 05:52:19 PM »
I tried the Lou's mixing instructions, that is 2 min on stir and 2 min at speed 4.  You don't walk away from this one while on speed 4.  I post results Friday.  I ended up using 8 oz of water by mistake which is a little more water than buzz used but it still came out stiff.

Randy

Offline buzz

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2005, 09:03:32 AM »
I think you still have too much overall working of the dough (2 minutes stir, 2 minutes speed 4). Remember--this is supposed to be a biscuit-like dough--in other words, as little mixing as possible, the way, say, you would make a pie (or biscuit) dough. Just enough liquid  and kneading to let it come together into a rough ball (not elastic or smooth), with very little gluten formation. The more you work it, the tougher and more bread-like it becomes!

Try making it once by hand, kneading exactly two minutes after you shape the flour, etc. into a rough ball-shape. Then you can judge how it should look when you make it by mixer.

Offline buzz

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2005, 09:05:33 AM »
And honestly, I would not use Crisco for this style of Chicago deep dish--I've tried it and it just comes out too greasy. With the canola oil, you don't taste the oil, but you still get the biscuit-like texture.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2005, 10:41:55 AM »
Try making it once by hand, kneading exactly two minutes after you shape the flour, etc. into a rough ball-shape. Then you can judge how it should look when you make it by mixer.

Great idea.  I'm making the dough tonight for my deep dish weekend I should have final weights (for those who like such things) and pictures by Saturday.  Also Saturday is my new uno's recipe which very much shocked me when I saw it.  Hope my source turns out good.

DKM

Offline Cosmo

• I Love Pizza!
Pan Size Help - Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Dough
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2005, 02:09:32 PM »
Hi,

I could only locate a 12" deep dish seasoned pan. Can anyone tell me how to decrease the amounts for the dough recipe?  The recipe I have is for DKM's chicago deep dish pizza found on the home page.

=======================
3½ cups All-purpose flour 
1½ cup Water
½ cup Yellow cornmeal
½ cup Canola oil
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt 
2¼ teaspoons Active dry yeast 
=======================

Thanks a lot!

Cosmo   

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2005, 04:13:54 PM »
If you have a cake pan then you can make 2 pizzas

Offline Crusty

• It's all about CRUST
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2005, 01:14:25 PM »
Has anyone made DKM Chicago using High Gluten ?

Crusty

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2005, 07:09:16 PM »
Yes,

I thought it was too bready.

DKM

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2005, 07:19:14 PM »
DKM, have you ever haerd of The All Red Brand of tomatoe products?

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2005, 10:55:20 PM »
Sounds familiar  Don't think I have ever tried them.

DKM

Offline IlliniPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2005, 05:36:19 AM »
Hello,

I have been following this site for about a year now, but this is my first time posting anything.

I am one of the lucky few to live within a couple of miles of a Giordano's Restaurant.  Living in the suburbs of Chicago, I think Giordano's stuffed pizza is the greatest pizza alive.  For anyone who has never had Giordano's stuffed pizza, I am sorry.  Giordano's pizza is completely different then Chicago deep dish, Giordano's is far less greasy then say Lou Malnati's or Uno's.  Personally I prefer Malnati's to Uno's anyday.  I have followed this site regularly for quite a while in hopes of finding a Giordano's Stuffed Pizza Recipe.  I tried the stuffed pizza recipe on this site, and like it alot, the crust really isn't up to par with Giordano's crust, thou.

Thanks Buzz!  I tried the crust recipe you posted, and it is exactly what I was looking for.  The taste & texture is exactly the same as Giordano's.  I encourage everyone to follow his recipe to a tee, without alterations.  For years I tried making a Giordano's like crust using Crisco, since I found theirs to be biscuit like.  But it was never the same.  Canola Oil & short knead.  That is the key!  Beautiful!

Now Buzz, for the Baking Instructions, and Sauce

Do you happen to know, if they bake the pie 15-20 mins. for a little while before adding the sauce to the top crust.

Also, they use a thick and hearty, semi-sweet tomato blend.  It is very reminscent of Escalon 6-in-1 All Purpose Ground.  But their tomatoes are chunkier, and have little bits of tomato skin.  I know Escalon sells a chucky unpeeled tomato blend.

Do you know if they use Escalon Chunky or make their own?

Also what spices do they add to the sauce, Basil?, Oregano?, the chicago standards, and a little parmagian to boot maybe.

Their sauce perfectly compliments their pizza.

Thanks for the Recipe!, Buzz

Offline buzz

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2005, 08:55:35 AM »
You're lucky to have a Giordano's close by!!!!!!!

As for your question--they run the dough through a sheeter twice, then put it in the pan, add shredded cheese, topping, and cover it with sauce before baking. The sauce is 6-in-1 tomatoes--there's a bit of heat in it, which means they're adding red pepper flakes. The closest I've come is to add crushed garlic, S and P (the sauce is salty), red pepper flakes, sugar, and dried "pizza seasoning" (basil, oregano, fennel, garlic, etc.). Then Parmesan on top.

I'm assuming that their oven is set at 450 (Connie's is), and it takes around half an hour to cook at the restaurant.

Glad you liked it--it's excellent stuff!

Lately I've been using Sorrento mozzarella, which I find superior to Stella--it seems a bit closer to the cheese Gordano's uses. I might try a blend of the two!