Author Topic: Burning Cornmeal Batman!  (Read 940 times)

Offline realityinabox

Burning Cornmeal Batman!
« on: September 09, 2010, 04:03:24 PM »
Hi all,

I am having trouble with burning cornmeal.  I can't seem to find the balance of enough cornmeal to make the pizza slide off my peel while not putting too much so that the extra burns and smokes, etc.  Anybody have any advice? 

It seems like it wouldn't be such a problem if could somehow get the excess off the quarry tiles in my oven between pies, but I've yet to think of a way to sweep the 500 degree stones that doesn't involve more burning or melting.  Again, any ideas?

buceriasdon

Re: Burning Cornmeal Batman!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 04:24:26 PM »
Hi, I've made the switch to rice flour, takes much less to do the same job has cornmeal. What a difference the switch made! I use a very wide putty knife to scrap my tile or with a natural bristle broom. I think a damp rag on a stick would work also.
Saludos, Don

Offline android

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 11:21:52 PM »
you could also try semolina flour. i switched to that a long time ago because i was burning cornmeal also. the semolina will burn also, but it doesn't seem to have the intense burning impact cornmeal can have. a mix of semolina and flour (as described in pete-zza's PJ clone thread) works great for my peel and i've been using some fairly wet dough with no problems lately.

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 08:39:47 AM »
Say goodbye to the cornmeal/flour/etc. mess when you use a SuperPeel.
http://www.superpeel.com/
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 05:33:58 PM »
Burnt corn meal is nasty. Just dust your peel with regular old AP flour, no need for anything else and you probably already have it out for working with your doughs.

pizzapan