Author Topic: Frank Giaquinto came to my pizza stand today  (Read 7891 times)

Jakew81, caymus, Stavs and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Frank Giaquinto came to my pizza stand today
« Reply #360 on: Yesterday at 06:44:07 AM »
Fix that camera, get extra battery, sd card , whatever....please!   :'(
Frank don`t strike me as a two-take johnny and we need all this for posterity Norma!    8)

Bob,

I will use Walter's video camera on Thursday.  Don sent me a PM about where to get a decent card with a good memory for my cell.  I have to look at different SD cards for my camera.  It is somewhat tricky of what card to purchase.  Frank said he could come for awhile Thursday.  I have to think of what kind of doughs I can make.  I told Frank I would make a Star Tavern dough, and I don't know what other kinds of doughs.  Franks talks about so much off camera.  He talked about using Fish ovens yesterday to make pizzas.  I will try to record all I can that Frank says on Thursday. 

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #361 on: Yesterday at 06:57:41 AM »
Norma,

You are very fortunate to have Frank close at hand to advise and counsel you on various aspects of your dough production and management, and also oven management. If the latest dough produced the best NY style pizza you have ever had, then that might be the dough you want to make and use at market. Since you are already using a NY style dough to make your boardwalk-style pizzas, I would imagine that you could do the same with the recent dough that you liked so much.

The So Strong flour from Pillsbury that Frank mentioned is a popular high-gluten flour. Its protein content, at around 14.5%, is one of the highest of any commercially available high-gluten flour. You can see the specs for that flour at http://www.generalmillscf.com/services/productpdf.ashx?pid=133878000 . Is that the flour that Frank used to make the pizza that you liked so much?

Peter

Peter,

I know I am very fortunate to have Frank close at hand.  I have learned a lot from Frank already, but have not tried all he has showed me. 

Frank told me someday he would take me to Pizza City to meet Sam and have Sam show me around his pizzeria.  Frank told me Sam uses So Strong flour.  I think Sam gets the So Strong flour from Roma Foods, but I am not sure.  Maybe I could purchase a bag of So Strong flour from Sam when I get to go to Pizza City.  I don't have access to the So Strong flour.  I don't know how I am going to figure out Sam's formulation though.  I wonder why when using Sam's dough the crust was not overly chewy since the So Strong flour is the highest commercially available high-gluten flour.  I did not know that the So Strong flour was the highest commercially available high-gluten flour.  Thanks for telling me that and including the link for the So Strong flour.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #362 on: Yesterday at 07:34:30 AM »
Norma,

I cannot say that the So Strong flour is the strongest high-gluten flour that is commercially available but it is one of the strongest in terms of protein content.

In your case at market, you might be better served to use a less strong flour. Strong flours work best where the pizzas are to be consumed on premises, either as slices or whole pizzas. For take out, crusts made from strong flours can get tough pretty quickly, and maybe soggy as well, by the time they get to the consumer's destination.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #363 on: Yesterday at 10:04:23 PM »
Norma,

I cannot say that the So Strong flour is the strongest high-gluten flour that is commercially available but it is one of the strongest in terms of protein content.

In your case at market, you might be better served to use a less strong flour. Strong flours work best where the pizzas are to be consumed on premises, either as slices or whole pizzas. For take out, crusts made from strong flours can get tough pretty quickly, and maybe soggy as well, by the time they get to the consumer's destination.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for telling me that in my case at market, I might be better served to use a less strong flour.  My granddaughter ate a slice of the pizza (Frank made on Monday) a couple of hours after I got home from market on Monday.  She said the pizza tasted really good and she did not notice a tough crust at all. 

I might not try to change my dough formulation after all.  I tried Frank's oil method most of the day today and the oil method on both sides made a crisper browner bottom crust.  I am not as good as Frank using the oil method to open a dough ball but it worked okay.

Frank stopped at market two times today.  Tonight when I was finished making pizzas he made a pizza that he slid off of the handle onto the deck.  That was a sight to see.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #364 on: Yesterday at 10:13:32 PM »
You can`t get So Strong...end of that conversation/

You got vid of Franks back handed peel dunk Norma?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #365 on: Yesterday at 10:24:06 PM »
You can`t get So Strong...end of that conversation/

You got vid of Franks back handed peel dunk Norma?

Bob,

I don't know if I can get the So Strong flour or not.  Frank goes to see Sam each week at Pizza City.  Frank told me if I wanted the So Strong flour I could purchase it from Sam.  I might try it out but think I am satisfied with the flour I am using.

I did get a video of Frank sliding the pizza off of the handle.  The video is over 6 minutes long, so it won't be uploaded until sometime tomorrow.  Frank told me why the pizza off of the handle is used sometimes.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #366 on: Today at 09:27:31 AM »
Frank opens up a dough ball using the cartwheel method.  That is something he has not done in a long while (maybe 20 years).  Franks slides the pizza into the oven “off of the handle”, and explains why that method would be useful in a very busy pizzeria.  Franks talks to some people walking by and shows them what he can do by tossing and spinning the skin.  Frank talks about his father and how much he sold slices for, and how much money he made a week.  Frank tells how much his grandfather slices sold for and also what a whole pie was in cost.  The dough ball used was Mick's dough.  Frank brought 3 of Mick's dough balls to market.  Mick's was not really busy last evening so Frank got to leave early.  I was finished making pizzas for the day so some of my things were cleaned up.  Frank improvised in using the thicker sauce that was the container.  I called Frank Walter near the end of the video.  :-D I was tired so I guess that is why that happened.

<a href="http://youtu.be/n7fW9ZLqpSc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/n7fW9ZLqpSc</a>

Norma
« Last Edit: Today at 09:30:28 AM by norma427 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #367 on: Today at 10:41:54 AM »
Thanks for telling me that in my case at market, I might be better served to use a less strong flour.  My granddaughter ate a slice of the pizza (Frank made on Monday) a couple of hours after I got home from market on Monday.  She said the pizza tasted really good and she did not notice a tough crust at all. 
Norma,

Do you know what flour was used for the pizza that your granddaughter had? Was it the So Strong flour?

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #368 on: Today at 11:39:26 AM »
Norma,

Do you know what flour was used for the pizza that your granddaughter had? Was it the So Strong flour?

Peter

Frank told me that Sam at Pizza City uses So Strong flour.  The slice my granddaughter ate was from the same pizza that was made at market by Frank.  Frank had purchased the dough ball from Sam before he came to market.  Do you think maybe more oil in Sam's dough might have made the crust tender when using the So Strong flour?

Norma

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #369 on: Today at 12:02:33 PM »
Frank deserves a double hand clap for the launch off the handle.   :chef:  What makes it more interesting, is that it is not a "trick" but a "necessity" to fully load an oven during the lunch/dinner rush.  I sure like the twinkle in Franks eyes, and could listen to him saying "that's a good dough"  ... and "he was a good man" ... "this is a good sauce" .... and "I like how the cheese is shredded" over and over.  Something about his optimism is very uplifting.  I see a man that has triumphed in life's journey!
« Last Edit: Today at 12:19:09 PM by bigMoose »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #370 on: Today at 12:43:46 PM »
Frank deserves a double hand clap for the launch off the handle.   :chef:  What makes it more interesting, is that it is not a "trick" but a "necessity" to fully load an oven during the lunch/dinner rush.  I sure like the twinkle in Franks eyes, and could listen to him saying "that's a good dough"  ... and "he was a good man" ... "this is a good sauce" .... and "I like how the cheese is shredded" over and over.  Something about his optimism is very uplifting.  I see a man that has triumphed in life's journey!

Dave,

I agree with what all you posted.  I really like when Frank gets that “twinkle in his eyes”.  It is inspiring to hear Frank talk about almost anything.  Frank told me off camera that it doesn't matter how much money someone has as long as they are happy.  I believe Frank is a happy man, and will inspire other pizza makers for years to come.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #371 on: Today at 02:46:50 PM »
Frank told me that Sam at Pizza City uses So Strong flour.  The slice my granddaughter ate was from the same pizza that was made at market by Frank.  Frank had purchased the dough ball from Sam before he came to market.  Do you think maybe more oil in Sam's dough might have made the crust tender when using the So Strong flour?

Norma
Norma,

It could be the oil, and even the sugar together with the oil, but you would need a fair amount of them to have that effect.

It might also be the way the slices were protected until your granddaughter ate the slices. In his book, The Taste of Bread, Prof. Calvel discusses what happens to baked bread as it cools. Interestingly, the water content of the baked crumb is about the same as the dough that was used to make the bread, within about 1%. But how you protect the baked bread will affect the rate at which the bread stales. Professor Calvel says that during cold or dry weather, the bread should be protected from air currents to avoid excessive drying. In humid weather, the bread should be kept in a well-ventilated area to keep the crust from becoming overly soft. It should be kept under temperate conditions, about 75 degrees F, to avoid shock and premature staling from excessive cooling. Prof. Calvel goes on to say that if these precautions are taken, many breads may be kept fresh and in excellent condition for between 15 and 24 hours. Round loaves can have a shelf life of 2-3 days. I realize that bread is not pizza, but maybe similar principles apply to pizza slices. Most breads never see the inside of a refrigerator, whereas leftover slices often do. You didn't indicate how the slices were preserved but if they were put in the refrigerator, that will no doubt affect the slices and how well they eat.

Peter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #372 on: Today at 06:53:02 PM »
pizza box is the enemy.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #373 on: Today at 07:06:36 PM »
Norma,

It could be the oil, and even the sugar together with the oil, but you would need a fair amount of them to have that effect.

It might also be the way the slices were protected until your granddaughter ate the slices. In his book, The Taste of Bread, Prof. Calvel discusses what happens to baked bread as it cools. Interestingly, the water content of the baked crumb is about the same as the dough that was used to make the bread, within about 1%. But how you protect the baked bread will affect the rate at which the bread stales. Professor Calvel says that during cold or dry weather, the bread should be protected from air currents to avoid excessive drying. In humid weather, the bread should be kept in a well-ventilated area to keep the crust from becoming overly soft. It should be kept under temperate conditions, about 75 degrees F, to avoid shock and premature staling from excessive cooling. Prof. Calvel goes on to say that if these precautions are taken, many breads may be kept fresh and in excellent condition for between 15 and 24 hours. Round loaves can have a shelf life of 2-3 days. I realize that bread is not pizza, but maybe similar principles apply to pizza slices. Most breads never see the inside of a refrigerator, whereas leftover slices often do. You didn't indicate how the slices were preserved but if they were put in the refrigerator, that will no doubt affect the slices and how well they eat.

Peter

Thanks for telling me it could have been the oil, and even the sugar together with the oil, but there would need be a fair amount of them to have that effect.

I never thought about how the slices were protected until my granddaughter ate the slice.  I never knew that the baked crumb is about the same as dough that was used to make the bread.  It is interesting that how the baked bread is protected will affect the rate at which the bread stales.  Professor Calvel things his discusses in this book Taste of Bread is something I never knew before.  You might be right that similar principles might apply to pizza slices.

To tell you the way the slice was saved for my granddaughter, was it was put into a Styrofoam container like the one I just took two photos of (slice was one I brought home last evening), until I finished doing things at market.  It probably was at room temperature for about 2 ½ hrs. before it was brought home and put into the fridge.  Then my granddaughter ate it about an hour later.  The temperature was nice on Monday with a low humidity.  Do you think that was why the slice tasted so good?  My great-granddaughter also had a slice but she sure couldn't tell if the slice was chewy or not.

Norma

Online Chaze215

« Reply #374 on: Today at 07:06:46 PM »
"That's a nice pizza, Frank"
"Oh yeah, very nice! "

He cracks me up....lol
"I'm and old school pizza maker! "
Chaz