Author Topic: Frank Giaquinto came to my pizza stand today  (Read 4023 times)

norma427, pete zappie, ogdred and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Frank Giaquinto came to my pizza stand today
« Reply #220 on: Today at 06:06:44 PM »
Maybe Frank has covered this already and I missed it, or maybe it's coming with his recipe, but I'd like to know his preference for the temperature of the dough ball when he's prepping it.  Does he like a cold ball at say average fridge temperature, a ball that's kept cool but not refrigerator cold, or one that has warmed up a bit?  Knowing the approximate temperature he's stretching at would help me to better evaluate the quality of my dough ball.

gfgman,

I can ask Frank about your questions.  I would like to print out this thread for Frank to read.  I have no idea how much paper or ink that will take though.  If I print this thread out I would like it without photos.  Does anyone know what would happen if I try to print the whole thread?  Frank is going to go to the library to watch some of his videos.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #221 on: Today at 06:20:38 PM »
gfgman,

.  If I print this thread out I would like it without photos.  Does anyone know what would happen if I try to print the whole thread?

Norma

Norma if you use the print button next to the reply, notify, mark as unread, send this topic above or below the messages on the page it will give you a choice of printing just text or with photos

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #222 on: Today at 06:56:11 PM »
Norma if you use the print button next to the reply, notify, mark as unread, send this topic above or below the messages on the page it will give you a choice of printing just text or with photos

Deb,

Thanks so much!

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: Today at 07:07:10 PM »
These are the photos from today.  As the videos upload and process I will post them. 

Frank made a Sicilian pizza today.  He made the dough at his home and also par-baked it at home yesterday.  Frank mixed the dough in the morning and let the dough out until he proofed and par-baked the dough.  Frank par-baked in his home oven.  As can be seen there was tomato sauce on the par-baked Sicilian dough.  Frank refrigerated the par-baked Sicilian crust until he brought it to my stand today.  The Sicilian pizza was finished at my stand.  The Sicilian pizza was very good and something much different than when I made on my other Sicilian attempts.  I don't know if I am going to try to make Frank's Sicilian pies at market but I might.  I need to find a 16x16 steel pan first.  I do have other bigger steel Sicilian pans, but think they are too big.  Frank made the Sicilian dough the same as he makes his NY style dough.

The weights for a big batch of Siclian dough or NY style dough are:

50 lbs. Flour (Frank uses AP)
3 gallons water
7 ounces salt (regular table salt)
7 ounces sugar
2 packets of ADY Fleischmann's
1 cup oil

I can not convert to smaller batches.

Frank used one of my frozen dough balls to make a NY style pizza.  The dough still was really cold from defrosting.

Frank mixed a NY style dough using a regular bag of AP flour today.  I could not take a video of the whole mixing process because it took too long and my memory card would not allow me to take any more videos.  I found it interesting how Frank mixes a NY style dough by hand and how he balls too. 

We became so busy talking and doing other things that I did not get my cheese grated for tomorrow.  I will go in early tomorrow to get that done.  I guess anyone can see how happy I was today.  :P  I love listening to all Frank has to say and really enjoy watching him make pizzas.   

Frank brought me some Flotta heavy pizza sauce with basil today to try out.  We did not try it out today.  Flotta is produced by Pacific Coast Producers.  http://www.canned-fresh.com/ 

<a href="http://youtu.be/tSvOTxdB_W0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/tSvOTxdB_W0</a>

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: Today at 07:13:11 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #225 on: Today at 07:18:32 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #226 on: Today at 07:22:08 PM »
Norma

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #227 on: Today at 07:25:18 PM »
Great shots Norma!  I talked to Frank tonight and he told me about your day.  He confirms everything I learned growing up.  We always used the same dough for regular pies and sicilian pies.  The only difference was putting a decent amount of oil in the pan and letting them warm up with a moist towel over them for a good amount of time.  That really changes the texture/taste of the dough.  It is important to remember a great pie can be made with just about any kind of white flour :)  Hopefully by next week we will have a camera shipped out to you that will take up to 1.5 hours of video at a time.   Was that your new choc chip cookie in the round pan?  Walter

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #228 on: Today at 07:36:08 PM »
Based on my math the formula translates to:

AP Flour - 100%
Water - 50%
Salt - 0.94%
Sugar - 0.94%
Oil - 0.949%
ADY - 1%
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: Today at 07:44:14 PM »
Great shots Norma!  I talked to Frank tonight and he told me about your day.  He confirms everything I learned growing up.  We always used the same dough for regular pies and sicilian pies.  The only difference was putting a decent amount of oil in the pan and letting them warm up with a moist towel over them for a good amount of time.  That really changes the texture/taste of the dough.  It is important to remember a great pie can be made with just about any kind of white flour :)  Hopefully by next week we will have a camera shipped out to you that will take up to 1.5 hours of video at a time.   Was that your new choc chip cookie in the round pan?  Walter

Thanks Walter!  I am glad you got to talk to Frank tonight.  8) It is good he confirms everything you learned about pizza while growing up.  Thanks about having a camera shipped to me so I can take up to 1.5 hrs. of videos at a time.   That was my chocolate chip cookie in the round pan.

Norma

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #230 on: Today at 07:44:38 PM »
I think you were trying to say that your pan size was 16 x 16?  If so, and the dough was in fact 3 lbs, the thickness factor calculates to about 0.19. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: Today at 07:48:29 PM »
Based on my math the formula translates to:

AP Flour - 100%
Water - 50%
Salt - 0.94%
Sugar - 0.94%
Oil - 0.949%
ADY - 1%

Jonas,

Thanks so much for translating.  8) When the video uploads of Frank making his dough anyone can see he mostly goes by feel and adds more water and flour to his dough as he mixes.  He said that was the way he learned.  I was surprised at how low the salt amount is from your calculations.  The crust on the Sicilian pie today and the NY style pizzas Frank made before sure did not taste like they had that small amount of salt in the dough.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: Today at 07:52:22 PM »
My friend Dave from market took this photo of Frank and me this afternoon.  I had to chuckle about what he wrote about us on facebook. :-D  Dave got to try Frank's Sicilian pie today too.  Dave really loved it.

Norma
« Last Edit: Today at 07:57:12 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #233 on: Today at 07:58:32 PM »
I think you were trying to say that your pan size was 16 x 16?  If so, and the dough was in fact 3 lbs, the thickness factor calculates to about 0.19.

Thanks again Jonas!  ;)

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: Today at 08:19:26 PM »
The video of Frank cutting the Sicilian pizza.

<a href="http://youtu.be/xwe_rNh8J4I" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/xwe_rNh8J4I</a>

Norma

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #235 on: Today at 08:36:08 PM »
Norma:  That made my day reading the facebook picture! I love the lastest video.    I am so happy that you reached out and connected withFrank.  You are studying 1 on 1 with a true NYC pizza master.  I can tell you that as a fact because I learned from guys like Frank.   When we talk on the phone it is like I am back home in an old family run pizzeria.  Video/internet learning is ok if one is isolated but the way  you are learning with Frank will unfold for years to come.  Seeing, feeling, tasting, smelling, and his fine soul, are the ultimate way to learn things.  Don't worry about remembering everything he says.  Taking in his whole being and enjoying the process is the way to go and everything he says is registering in your brain/soul. It will come back to you as you are working on your pies till the day you die.  I still have flashbacks all the time as I am working from stuff I learned from my family as a small child and all the great pizza makers/bakers I was around.  I hope I get to meet Frank one day and you, he, and his wife, make it out here, or I get back there.   Frank told me he works on new Bakers Pride ovens at Micks.  Frank is happy working on any oven as long as there is pizza goin in it :)  Talking to him is very inspiring.  Everyone on the forum should study his videos.  Hopefully when you get the camera there will be long videos for all to see.  My person here is in the business of video filming and has ways to download long videos in no time.   Walter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #236 on: Today at 08:41:18 PM »
Norma....you look so cute and happy standing next to Frank there in your pretty blue sweater. Looks like you guys are really having fun together sharing pizza info and this thread is just great!   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"