Author Topic: Pepe's style dough  (Read 502 times)

vtsteve and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline corvettedan22

• I Love Pizza!
Pepe's style dough
« on: June 21, 2015, 11:34:46 PM »
Hello,

Im new to the forum and just bult a pizza oven. Here is the link to to my oven:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q10/corvettedan22/pizza%20oven/9F829055-BB2B-4B70-8CDA-95DBF32B64BF_zps5ewhwqix.jpg

Im about ready to try and make some dough.  I have been searching the forum and found this recipie.  Im a big fan of new haven style pizza.  Can anyone help me decifer this recipie for dough ? In lamans terms ?  New person terms?  It seems like a good starting point for me.

Room Temp Water (58.04%):
IDY (.53%):
Salt (1.87%):
Total (160.44%):
Single Ball:
907.84 g  |  32.02 oz | 2 lbs
526.91 g  |  18.59 oz | 1.16 lbs
4.81 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.6 tsp | 0.53 tbsp
16.98 g | 0.6 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.04 tsp | 1.01 tbsp
1456.53 g | 51.38 oz | 3.21 lbs | TF = 0.0712
485.51 g | 17.13 oz | 1.07 lbs
[/size]
Measure dry (no yeast). Measure wet (+ yeast). Mix wet to dissolve yeast. Dry into wet. Mix, on lowest speed, in a spiral mixer 7 minutes, scraping down sides every few minutes.  Dough consistency should be between cottage cheese and smooth. Scale. Ball and place in lightly oiled dough pans. Refrigerate two days. Remove from fridge 3 hours before baking. Total time between making the dough and baking should be as close as possible to 48 hours. Dough should be just touching the sides of the container after removing from fridge. If not, use more yeast next batch. If it's risen up the container sides, use less yeast.

This is one of my pies with dough from a local pizza place.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q10/corvettedan22/pizza%20oven/954453C6-75A7-4E68-B31F-76067D56F640_zps4npjrzfv.jpg

Thanks !

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: Pepe's style dough
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 06:37:57 AM »
  Can anyone help me decifer this recipie for dough ? In lamans terms ?  New person terms?  It seems like a good starting point for me.

The ingredients are listed at the top except for the flour,they are listed in the % in relationship to flour.   Below the "Single Ball:" are the amounts of the ingredients, starting with flour and then in the order above in the post - water, idy (instant dry yeast), salt.   That will make a 485gram or 17 oz ball.  It's a good size dough ball looks to be done for about a 17" pizza.    to change to a different size you can use the dough calculator here http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough-calculator.html     That thickness factor is probably about what you want for either a pepe's like or NY style pizza 

What are you using for local dough?   Have you tried Spinelli's out of Waterbury (I can get at Stop & Shop),  I use it every once in awhile when I'm really pressed for time.  It's just flour, water, salt & yeast.  The directions on the bag need to be ignored and it needs to be out much longer than suggested to be ready to use.

It's common practice to use the "attachment" button below the posting box to put your pictures in the post and not just links.  Honestly, I did not look at all the pictures in your other post because of having to go out in and out of the post to see them. 
Deb

Offline corvettedan22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 12:01:32 PM »
Thanks deb.  Ill work on posting that way.  Although im making a little video so that will have to be a link too

Offline corvettedan22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 12:03:34 PM »
Oh, and I haven't been going out of my way for dough.  Ive been trying to buy dough from places near me to see what dough suites my pizza best. Some places wont sel lme dough on the weekend, but either way its time for me try and make some.

Offline corvettedan22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 12:39:36 PM »
So I finally got a chance to check this out and try to make some dough.

It says full strength flour  100%.  What does this mean ? 

Also what does this mean.
Measure dry (no yeast). Measure wet (+ yeast). Mix wet to dissolve yeast. Dry into wet. Mix, on lowest speed, in a spiral mixer 7 minutes, scraping down sides every few minutes. 

Do I mix the yeast and water together,  and then add the flour and salt into the water ? 

Thank you

Offline gfgman

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:55:24 AM »
Full Strength flour is a General Mills product.  You can get it online, but I don't know about sourcing it locally. 
I believe you are correct on the process.  Measure your flour and salt.  Measure your water and yeast.  Mix the water and yeast together, then add your flour and salt to the water and yeast mixture. 

Offline corvettedan22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 11:08:21 AM »
Thank you,

I have doing some more research.  They only have active yeast at the store.

My impression is that if I use active yeast I have to mix it with the water.

If I obtain the IDY (instandy dry yeast), then I believe it gets mixed with the dry flour and salt ?

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 04:27:59 PM »
I have doing some more research.  They only have active yeast at the store.
My impression is that if I use active yeast I have to mix it with the water.
If I obtain the IDY (instandy dry yeast), then I believe it gets mixed with the dry flour and salt ?

That's right. It's recommended to mix active dry yeast with water before mixing into dry ingredients.  Instant doesn't require hydration before mixing with dry ingredients. You can also mix instant yeast with water if you like, but you don't have to.

Offline caymus

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 05:53:09 PM »

It says full strength flour  100%.  What does this mean ? 

Thank you

You can find GM Full Strength at Restaurant Depot. What part of CT? Sweet Life cash and carry in Springfield MA also carries it.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 06:03:33 PM »
You can find GM Full Strength at Restaurant Depot. What part of CT? Sweet Life cash and carry in Springfield MA also carries it.

also at Napoli foods in Cheshire.  I was in there Saturday to get some cheese and I think it was 18.50 for 50 lbs.

a  ~6 1/2 lb block of Grande whole milk mozz was $20
Deb

Offline corvettedan22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 06:04:20 PM »
Thanks guys I think there is a resterurant depot in Milford ct.    Full stregth is bleached , correct ?

Offline caymus

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 06:22:30 PM »
Thanks guys I think there is a resterurant depot in Milford ct.    Full stregth is bleached , correct ?

Bleached and bromated.  Some people have a problem with that.

Also search the boards.  A few years ago Scott123 was helping some posters with their New Haven recipes.

Online vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 06:43:01 PM »
There's an unbleached/unbromated version, too -- you need to check the bag.

http://www.generalmillscf.com/industries/bakery/support-tool-categories/types-of-flour/spring-wheat
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:45:05 PM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust. :)

Offline corvettedan22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 11:15:53 PM »
Wow,

Well I feel like I want the bleached and bromated to try a make the pizza I desire.

However after 1 minute of research I just realized that I am killing my self eating pizza and I have to get unbleached un bromated.  Not sure how that will effect the recipe.  Also it seems like the wheat flour is in the direction of unbleached unbromated.   Seriously do we eat anything that does not give us cancer ??

Offline corvettedan22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 11:18:35 PM »
and I did see scott's posts.  Wow that's a deal on some cheese.  I was planning on going to BJ's, but wow Napoli sounds good.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 11:35:36 PM »
Wow,

Well I feel like I want the bleached and bromated to try a make the pizza I desire.

However after 1 minute of research I just realized that I am killing my self eating pizza and I have to get unbleached un bromated.  Not sure how that will effect the recipe.  Also it seems like the wheat flour is in the direction of unbleached unbromated.   Seriously do we eat anything that does not give us cancer ??

If you ate 10 pizzas a day for 10 years, it might affect you. Many of these studies, not all, feed lab critters several times the recommended levels of said chemicals in question, almost impossible for the average goof to consume. And unless you eat bromated flour doughs that are under cooked, like with a gum line, the potasium bromate is rendered pretty much harmless when fully cooked. I think the worse roll of the dice would be rare burgers over charcoal, just had that too :-D :drool:

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline caymus

« Reply #16 on: Today at 05:15:19 AM »
Wow,

Yes, there is  a 100% chance that you will die someday.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:39:15 AM »
and I did see scott's posts.  Wow that's a deal on some cheese.  I was planning on going to BJ's, but wow Napoli sounds good.

they don't always have the grande in the case but if they don't they will have their brand.  This is the first time I have bought the grande, I have been happy with their brand but decided to compare.   Last time I bought their brand I think it was just under $17 for the block - about the same size.

If  you go to Napoli - they sometimes have liuzzi burrata in the case.  Their ricotta is liuzzi and the best ricotta I have had, I think 3 lb container.

Deb