Author Topic: More flavour in dough  (Read 39486 times)

aspendos and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: More flavour in dough
« Reply #1360 on: February 27, 2015, 06:05:26 PM »
Thanks Norma, I'll keep you (and the forum) up to date and maybe you can come visit me this time!

Anthony

Anthony,

That would be nice if I could come and visit your pizzeria.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #1361 on: February 27, 2015, 06:26:35 PM »
Jonas,

This is the one handout formulation everyone was given that attended Tony's pizza making seminar.  Note that All Trumps was the flour Tony used in this formulation.   None of Tony's pizzas were chewy.  All three of Tony's pizzas were very good.  Since I am not good at figuring out how to convert formulations I am not sure if this is the same formulation that is in the Pizza Bible for the Master Dough with a starter.

If you, or anyone else wants me to post the other 2 printouts I can post them.

Norma

Norma,

It is almost identical. The only major difference I see, aside from the 2-3% salt & malt, is actually in the oil value. In the book it calls for 1% oil whereas here it is between 3-4%.

The mixing is completely different, though. In his book, TG suggests a total mixing time of about 6-7 minutes depending on how good the dough came together. On his instruction sheet mixing time is much longer, at 19 minutes, if you add it all together. I guess, however, that the main mixing time is at 10-12 minutes, if that makes sense.  ???

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1362 on: February 27, 2015, 07:30:55 PM »
Norma,

It is almost identical. The only major difference I see, aside from the 2-3% salt & malt, is actually in the oil value. In the book it calls for 1% oil whereas here it is between 3-4%.

The mixing is completely different, though. In his book, TG suggests a total mixing time of about 6-7 minutes depending on how good the dough came together. On his instruction sheet mixing time is much longer, at 19 minutes, if you add it all together. I guess, however, that the main mixing time is at 10-12 minutes, if that makes sense.  ???

Mike,

Thanks!  I wonder why there are differences in the print out and Tony's book.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1363 on: February 27, 2015, 07:47:37 PM »
I tried an emergency dough today to see if there could be any blistering achieved.  I used about my normal formulation, but added a preferment and .075% Central Milling Malt.  Tony's 00 Artisan flour was used as the flour.  The formulation is below.  IDY was added to the preferment so it would rise.  The preferment was made last night.  The dough was mixed this morning and was finished balling at 10:00 AM this morning.  I then put the dough ball into the fridge until I went to market.  The dough ball sat at room temperature at market before it was ready to be used to make a pizza (2 hrs. at 55 degrees F).  The pizza was decent, but there was no blistering.

The preferment was put into the water, and then a straight mix was done.  The sauce was put on first for this pizza.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1364 on: February 27, 2015, 07:50:32 PM »
Norma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #1365 on: February 27, 2015, 07:51:25 PM »
Mike,

Thanks!  I wonder why there are differences in the print out and Tony's book.

Norma

The book is for homebakers and the print-out was at an Expo for professionals.

I could never imagine to do a 19 minute mix with my stand mixer. ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1366 on: February 27, 2015, 07:52:09 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1367 on: February 27, 2015, 07:53:43 PM »
The book is for homebakers and the print-out was at an Expo for professionals.

I could never imagine to do a 19 minute mix with my stand mixer. ;D

Mike,

I could never imagine doing a 19 minute mix with All Trumps, or any other flour in the Hobart either. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1368 on: Today at 07:32:55 PM »
These are some photos of rims of pizzas, that the dough balls were frozen and then undefrosted since yesterday, that were then made into pizzas this morning.  I think it appears that there is some blistering on the rim crusts.  What those blisters are from I really don't know.  The 5th photo is when I pulled the pizza half way out of the oven to show what appeared to be some blistering on the rim crust before the pizza was altogether baked.  The 7th photo is of two dough balls on the right that were frozen and two dough balls on the left that were fermented for one day.  The last whole pizza was just a one day cold fermented dough pizza.  There was no blistering on any of those one day cold fermented doughs today.  I would have like to do more testing today, but it began sleeting around 3:00 PM.  I left market at about 4:15 PM and the roads were slippery. 

I have been using 0.20% IDY in the dough batches, so if any yeast was killed the rims still rise okay when dough balls are defrosted.

I have some dough balls leftover today so I froze them.  Does anyone have any ideas to do tests on them next week?

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #1369 on: Today at 08:08:46 PM »
Excellent as always, Norma!

Btw, if you need more of TG's flour, he's got his online store open now. Flat rate shipping, too!

http://store.thepizzabible.com/
Mike

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1370 on: Today at 08:38:10 PM »
Excellent as always, Norma!

Btw, if you need more of TG's flour, he's got his online store open now. Flat rate shipping, too!

http://store.thepizzabible.com/

Thanks Mike!  I have enough of TG's flour right now, but will remember about the Pizza Bible website for flours.

Norma