Author Topic: Tonight's Pie  (Read 74912 times)

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #280 on: Today at 06:37:08 PM »
« Last Edit: Today at 08:59:05 PM by Stavs »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #281 on: Today at 08:52:10 PM »
Hey Glutenboy....I'm sure it says in this thread somewhere....but what's your oven temp, pizza cooking surface and rack position?   I'm not getting quite the nice blacks and browns you're getting on crust...both on top and underneath. I'm still tinkering with position.  Thanks.

Jeffrey -

My newest oven setup is a double layer of quarter-inch tiles placed on the rack in the lowest position.  This seems to give me the combo of heat and control best for even baking in my oven.  I have a gas oven with the flame on the bottom powering both the oven and the lower broiler.  In order to prevent the oven from shutting off, I managed to find the heat sensor clipped to the side of the oven and slide it out (still attached) through the stovetop.  I can put it back when needed, but when it's out, the oven never shuts off.  This allows me to achieve temperatures of God knows what.  I've never measured.  All I know is I'm getting great color and pretty short bake times.  I don't know if most ovens (mine is pretty old) can be hacked this easily, but heat, deck thickness and material, and oven-rack position for even bake are the most crucial elements in my opinion.

- GB
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #282 on: Today at 08:54:11 PM »
GB,

On those beautiful pies in #272, I'm drooling over the crumb shot (actually all of it) ..There is some oil brushed on the rim,  even though it's not formula oil..am I correct?  Either way, it's a WOW!

Rparker---Bunny pizza???  ;)

Thanks, JPB.  There's no oil brushed on the rim, but I do drizzle generously over the topped area before baking.  There might be some splash, but I think the color's from my oven.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.