Author Topic: Wild Yeast Sourdough Starter  (Read 5208 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Wild Yeast Sourdough Starter
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »
On Monday I began a new project...making a sourdough starter from wild yeast and since I live right next door to the Marin Headlands here in Sausalito, with lots of trees, bushes and grass around I thought I might be able to capture some of the wild critters.

I guess it worked.

On the first day I combined a cup of KABF and a cup of lukewarm, filtered water in a mason jar and let the jar sit outside, lid open, on my deck for a few hours then took it inside, closed it and let it sit at room temperature overnight. As you can see in the first couple of pics, there wasn't much going on and the starter looked more like white paint. No smell, either, other then flour and water.

The second day the starter started to bubble slightly as you can see in the pic labeled Day 2. No significant smell, though. At this point there wasn't any feeding going on at all. I took the starter back outside onto my deck and again let it sit with the lid open, this time for only a couple of hours. I took it back inside, closed it and let it sit at roomtemp again overnight.

This morning, Day 3, it was a whole different story, though.

When I got my morning coffee and checked on the starter, I noticed a good amount of gas build-up when I opened the jar. The smell was very pleasant...like sour milk. Now, I don't know if that's good or bad since my knowledge of starters, especially sourdough ones, isn't that vast so maybe someone can chime in here at this point. It also had a great amount of bubbles on top as you can see in the last pic.

At this point I decided to feed it half a cup of KABF and half a cup of lukewarm, filtered water. Forgot to take a pic of it afterwards but since I know that a healthy starter can double or even triple in size I left the jar open just a crack because of the gas production.

I'll take a pic tonight when I get home but I'm really wondering if the "sour milk" smell is appropriate or if the starter's bad already?

Some pics...

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Wild Yeast Sourdough Starter
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:33:45 PM »
Wow that is the fastest wild yeast starter I've heard of.  :o  Usually takes me like 6-7 days.

There must be something about the bay area and yeast.   ;D

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 03:40:32 PM »
Try "washing" it once or twice to see if the smell goes away...........

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 05:00:20 PM »
Wow that is the fastest wild yeast starter I've heard of.  :o  Usually takes me like 6-7 days.

There must be something about the bay area and yeast.   ;D

Chau,

I have calculated with 6-10 days actually. I have a feeling that it might be the bacteria going at it and having a field day in the jar since there's no way that yeast has already grown or established itself in there.

Tony,

I'll give it another day or two since I just fed it for the first time this morning. If the smell persists, I'll give your advice a shot.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 05:02:44 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

cornicione54

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 05:13:52 PM »
FWIW, from my experience:

Using a variety of flours (including caputo, rye and bread flour on separate occasions) I have consistently initiated healthy starters (ie healthy equilibrium of wild yeast + lactobacilli) within 3 to 4 days during warmer weather.
Winter months (at "room" temperature) are inevitably a bit slower.
Each instance, I used closed, well-cleaned/washed containers, so I'm assuming that it's a) not a freak event and b) not due to the influence of 'airborne' yeast
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 05:16:06 PM by cornicione54 »

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 05:58:30 PM »
Though I am just a beginner at starters I also think it has more to do with the wild yeasts on the surface of the flour as opposed to airborne. All three of mine were started in the kitchen but used three different kinds of flour. How ever it happens I find just discussing the subject to add to the enjoyment of sourdoughs starters. It's a cool hobby.
Saludos, Don

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 11:46:50 PM »
Hooch on the bottom...not good. Seems like it got already contaminated along the way somewhere.   :(

I washed the starter tonight and fed it. Let's see what it looks like tomorrow morning.

Mike

Offline Matthew

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 06:37:57 AM »
Hooch on the bottom...not good. Seems like it got already contaminated along the way somewhere.   :(

I washed the starter tonight and fed it. Let's see what it looks like tomorrow morning.

Mikey,
I've got great idea!
Dump the starter & book a tour at the Boudin Bakery.  When they show you the 160 year old mother dough rip a piece off & run like hell!

Matt

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 01:12:18 PM »
Mikey,
I've got great idea!
Dump the starter & book a tour at the Boudin Bakery.  When they show you the 160 year old mother dough rip a piece off & run like hell!

Matt

Dude,

That's a fantastic idea!! Didn't even think of it.

And maybe, while I'm at it, hop over to UPN and steal Anthony's oven, too!  ;D

Mike

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 03:20:51 PM »
Essen 1, I'm kinda a sourdough nut, check this out...http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/and-i-shall-call-it-cavanagh.html    ;D

Offline Matthew

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 04:40:45 PM »
Dude,

That's a fantastic idea!! Didn't even think of it.

And maybe, while I'm at it, hop over to UPN and steal Anthony's oven, too!  ;D

Now you're getting carried away! ;D

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 06:23:45 PM »
Now you're getting carried away! ;D

No, just greedy   ;D

DMC,

A. Kuban named a starter after you. Pretty cool. Now help me with mine, for God's sake   :-D
Mike

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 06:52:02 PM »
No, just greedy   ;D

DMC,

A. Kuban named a starter after you. Pretty cool. Now help me with mine, for God's sake   :-D

Check this out,...http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2010/09/sourdough-starter-in-30-hours.html

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 10:04:21 PM »
Just got home and this is what the starter looks tonight after yesterday evening's washing...the hooch was a thin layer and not really in the middle but also not on top.

The smell of sour milk has been replaced by a pleasant, albeit faint, yeasty smell. Maybe it's coming around and settling down. I think I do another wash and feed and see what happens then.

DMC,

Informative link! Looks like there are a bunch of starter-savvy people on that forum.

Mike

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 01:07:02 AM »
For those of us who don't know a starter from a hole in the ground, can we get more info about 'wash' the starter?  Thanks. :)
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Matthew

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 06:16:30 AM »
For those of us who don't know a starter from a hole in the ground, can we get more info about 'wash' the starter?  Thanks. :)

Washing is the process of extremely diluting the starter to remove any contaminants that may have overcome the sourdough organisms.  You then continue to feed & proof until culture is reactivated.  Extreme cases will generally require more than one washing.  Washing is often also required when a culture sits in the refrigerator for a very long period & becomes too acidic.

Matt

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 12:35:19 PM »
JD,

Matt, our starter guru, beat me to it.  ;D

But that's what a "washing" is.

I checked on my starter this morning after last night's washing and lo & behold a nice, clear hooch is now sitting on top. The smell was very pleasant.

I fed it 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water and hopefully it'll come around.

Mike

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
congrats mike, its always good to have that sweat off your back.

I need to update my wild starters threads myself.

I'll be interested in knowing how your first bake turns out. 

If we end up with good luck individually with our starters perhaps we can swap cultures and taste the regional differences.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 12:41:54 PM »
congrats mike, its always good to have that sweat off your back.

I need to update my wild starters threads myself.

I'll be interested in knowing how your first bake turns out. 

If we end up with good luck individually with our starters perhaps we can swap cultures and taste the regional differences.

I'm anxious to see how the starter works out in the end myself. But it may take a bit more time before it's fully active and usable.

But I like your idea of exchanging samples and check on the difference, if any.
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 05:57:21 PM »
Day 5

It seems that there's finally a faint sign of life.

This is what it looked like last night around 6:00pm. I fed it and left it out at room temp overnight after having it in the oven with the oven light on for 8 hrs.

I fed it again this morning and it is currently back in the oven for another 8 hrs.

Mike