Author Topic: Una Pizza Napoletana Website  (Read 14469 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Una Pizza Napoletana Website
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »
Excellent review Marlon. I remember seeing his dough balls and thinking they were nearing 300 grams, maybe even over. That would explain the massive rims. Although the crumb looks really nice, I can see where it would become bready after a few bites.

John

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2012, 08:36:37 PM »
Excellent review Marlon. I remember seeing his dough balls and thinking they were nearing 300 grams, maybe even over. That would explain the massive rims. Although the crumb looks really nice, I can see where it would become bready after a few bites.

John

I think they are ~10oz/280g, but it's also a relatively small diameter pie.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2012, 08:50:37 PM »
That did not look like pizza I would enjoy*.  280-300 gram ball equals a 14" pizza with as much rim size as he has.

*edit - make that enjoy paying top dollar for.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2012, 08:51:29 PM »

Claims about UPN being soupy go pretty far back- that's disappointing that he hasn't worked that out. It's really not that hard to properly drain mozzarella. He's also gotten some flack for salt.  How were the levels of salt?

Thanks Scott.  It was very wet although his crust was pretty thick up to the center of the pie so it did not become a soggy mess.  The thickness, however, was also not a good thing for me since I expected a much thinner base.  

My wife did not enjoy the pizza because it was very bland for her taste.  It didn't sing in your mouth so there was no urge to take another bite although I still finished it for her.  :-D  

When I tasted the sauce by itself, it seemed unseasoned to me or very little salt was used so it did not have a balanced flavor, IMO.  I understand that some people prefer the clean flavor from the tomato but I prefer the sauce seasoned with a little bit of salt.  

John

Thanks John.  One thing I noticed was the pizza was very heavy on my stomach after I finished my pie.  When he was taking the dough balls out of the tray, it definitely looked big and I would think the weight would be around 290 grams or even a bit more.  He only had 5 dough balls in the standard 18x26" tray and they looked pretty big in there.  

Marlon

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2012, 09:03:55 PM »
Balanced with the salt.  Every batch of sauce has to be balanced, sometimes with salt, sometimes with sugar, sometimes with pepper; there is no one set recipe that works for each batch (IMO).

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2012, 09:26:43 PM »
Balanced with the salt.  Every batch of sauce has to be balanced, sometimes with salt, sometimes with sugar, sometimes with pepper; there is no one set recipe that works for each batch (IMO).

Agree.  Any good dish starts with proper seasoning. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2012, 09:42:40 PM »
Maybe he's trying to capture some of the clam chowder in a SF sourdough bread bowl crowd?  :-D

Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2012, 09:47:54 PM »
Can anyone tell me who in Naples that makes a Neapolitan pizza Anthony is trying to emulate? Or, asked a somewhat different way, is his pizza really a Neapolitan pizza?

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2012, 09:56:15 PM »
The eggs and salame were nowhere to be found in the Apolonia pie.  He put beaten eggs underneath the cheese and they turned into scrambled eggs.  The salame where cut into 1/4in cubes.  Maybe, he put 6-8 pieces but I did not really see or taste them.  

If you measured the weight of the salami in milligrams, it would still sound like a tiny number. That pie is, IMHO, ridiculous - and I'm not talking about the price - $25 for that pie is just plain disrespectful. On my next trip to SF, UPN won't be on my list though I did get there in NYC, so it's easier for me to say that.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:39:28 PM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2012, 09:56:41 PM »
is his pizza really a Neapolitan pizza?

Peter

Marco never seemed to think so.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2012, 10:01:47 PM »
Marco never seemed to think so.

Craig,

That is why I asked: Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4010.msg33504/topicseen.html#msg33504. That post was some time ago and I wondered whether Anthony might have changed his methods since then.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2012, 10:17:43 PM »
Craig,

That is why I asked: Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4010.msg33504/topicseen.html#msg33504. That post was some time ago and I wondered whether Anthony might have changed his methods since then.

Peter

He doesn't strike me as the type that changes the way he does things very often - not something as fundamental as how he makes his dough.

I don't think he is trying to emulate anyone, and I have to give him credit for that.

Is it Neapolitan? To me, yes.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2012, 10:28:08 PM »
If you measured the weight of the salami in milligrams, it would still sound like a tiny number. That pie is, IMHO, ridiculous - and I'm not talking about the price - $25 for that pie is just plain disrespectful. On my next trip to SF, UPN won't be on my list though I did get there in NYC, so it's easier for me to say that.

Same here, I won't be back.  I was really shocked with the quality of the pies given his experience and status in the pizza industry.  I am not sure how much longer he can be successful with his business model considering there have been an influx of strong players in the SF area over the past year or so.  Also, the attitude does not help his cause.  

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2012, 10:34:52 PM »
I would definitely call it Neapolitan, and I am sure there are dozens if not hundreds of pizza joints in Naples that I would not pay to eat at.

cornicione54

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2012, 10:39:06 PM »
Having followed the progress of Mr Mangieri from afar (ie visuals and reviews rather than eating - :( ) , I've come to the conclusion that his pizza is probably best judged as a thing unto itself rather than by  some "authentic" neapolitan yardstick. An issue not helped by Anthony Mangieri's insistence that his pizza meets some sort of neapolitan ideal.
It certainly does seem to be fairly unique at least among pizzerias in the US and I doubt there are many using the same process. It is what it is. Whether that's true neapolitan or not has little bearing imo on the pricetag or its true value.

parallei

« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2012, 10:40:31 PM »
Would anyone care to hazard a guess as to what the hydration levels in those large rimmed, 2 min bake pies are?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2012, 10:43:17 PM »
Same here, I won't be back.  I was really shocked with the quality of the pies given his experience and status in the pizza industry.  I am not sure how much longer he can be successful with his business model considering there have been an influx of strong players in the SF area over the past year or so.  Also, the attitude does not help his cause.  

I think he's burned out. It would not surprise me in the slightest to see him close shop in SF and move back to NYC - maybe partner up with someone there rather that go at it by himself a 3rd time.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2012, 10:44:23 PM »
Would anyone care to hazard a guess as to what the hydration levels in those large rimmed, 2 min bake pies are?

64.7%
Pizza is not bread.

cornicione54

« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2012, 10:45:55 PM »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2012, 10:49:01 PM »
I would guess closer to 70 percent and no more than a 24 hour ferment.

pizzapan