Author Topic: All Trumps  (Read 9093 times)

Offline ilpizzaiolo

Re: All Trumps
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 02:05:43 PM »
wanted to add that in addition to the all trumps, general mills does an unbleached, unbromated version of the flour with the same name, just a different bag code... it is nice because it has the quality, consistancy and performance of a general mills flour, but with out the lousy bromate and being bleached.... similar possibly to a sir lancelot in some respects.

- ron

Offline bigriver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2005, 04:35:32 PM »
Com'on Ron Bromate only causes cancer in California, the rest of the US is just fine. ;D
I have only just begun here, and it appears that everyone here has a hard-on for King Aurthur Flour.  Be it All Purpose or High Gluten.  Can anyone tell me where they mill it?  They never mention it on the web-site ???

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2005, 04:49:27 PM »
I believe that Bay State Milling may mill at least part of the KA flours. The KA flours are highly regarded in the industry. The flours are unbleached, unbromated, have protein levels higher than most in the industry, and have some of the tightest specs around. It is as a result of many comparison tests with other flours over a long period of time that our forum members have picked the KA flours over almost all of the others.

Peter

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2005, 08:00:16 PM »
Does anyone know if the KA flours are organic?  I've broken away to the organic flours due to pesticide usage on the fields where they get their grain. It has made a difference in my pies...I think the yeast is happier as well, it produce itself in mass quanitity w/o interference of these chemicals...I think KA has a line of organic flours just not sure...off to their site to check into it...

Offline bigriver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 09:07:30 AM »
I believe that Bay State Milling may mill at least part of the KA flours. The KA flours are highly regarded in the industry. The flours are unbleached, unbromated, have protein levels higher than most in the industry, and have some of the tightest specs around. It is as a result of many comparison tests with other flours over a long period of time that our forum members have picked the KA flours over almost all of the others.

Peter

What have been your findings using Bay State Bouncer?  I use it because it's readily available from GFS Marketplace in 25lb bags.  Wouldn't you think that if Baystate mills the KA hi-gluten that Bouncer would be as good?  Understanding of course that the bouncer is bromated.

Any thoughts/tips would be appreciated.

Bigriver 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2005, 10:32:26 AM »
I have not personally tried the Bouncer product because it is not available to me is small amounts, but if Bay State is indeed a miller for KA, which it appears to be, it doesn't necessarily follow that its Bouncer product will be as good as the comparable KA flour (e.g., high-gluten flour). As a miller, Bay State will make whatever flour the customer wants, based on the specs given to them. I once spoke to a technical guy at Bay State at some length, and it should come as no surprise that he thought the Bouncer high-gluten flour was a first-rate product--comparable to the KASL. He was also extremely laudatory of KA and its products. If you are interested, I reported on my discussions with Bay State at Reply #125 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,389.msg4505.html#msg4505.

You should just try out different flours until you find the one that best meets your needs based on the criteria you use to judge flours. I know that fellow member Nathan has tried the Bouncer product, and apparently it did not satisfy his personal criteria. See, for example, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,218.msg1597.html#msg1597.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 12:19:51 PM by Pete-zza »

pizzapan