Author Topic: Thin Cracker Crust Pizza for Lunch Today  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Casadeblack

Thin Cracker Crust Pizza for Lunch Today
« on: September 16, 2010, 04:24:43 AM »
I have made two thin cracker pizzas for today's lunch. I used my usual dough from refrigerator as the crust.

My dough ingredients:
Bread flour     80%
                             } 100%
Spelt flour      20%
Ice water       70%
Instant yeast  2%
Sugar             2%
Salt                1.5%
Olive oil          3-4%

Just mixed all ingredients together and kneaded the dough in the bowl by spatula for a few minutes. Divided the dough into 2 parts and placed in plastic food boxes. Placed the doughs in refrigerator for over 24 hours. Whenever you want to make pizza or bread, just take out the dough from fridge and let it return to normal temperature for an hour before your normal procedures in making bread or pizza.

Left one:                                                          Right one:

480F  for 8 minutes                                          480F for 12 minutes   
Pre-baked crust for 3 minutes                           No pre-baked crust, one time baked
Toppings order:Olive oil, tomato sauce,            Olive oil, cheese, Salame+Coppa, cheese,
   cheese, Salame+Coppa, cheese                       tomato sauce
Crispy in centre, crunchy in rim                         Drier in texture, more cracker-like
Larger air holes                                                 Smaller air holes

I personally like the left one more. Eleven minutes should be OK for the right one.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:26:58 PM by Casadeblack »

Offline BTB

Re: Thin Cracker Crust Pizza for Lunch Today
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 12:46:17 PM »
Casadeblack, very good report and addition to our Cracker Style crust thread.  What most of us really, really appreciate are the PICTURES of what you are talking about.  Very nice job and the pizzas look very tasty and interesting.  Your hydration seems very high for a cracker crust, but I'd like to experiment and try out your formulation for myself.  Thanks for your contribution to the forum.     

What is Spelt flour and what affect do you think it has.  I recall seeing some bags of it at the health food store.   

--BTB

Offline Casadeblack

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 01:19:54 PM »

What is Spelt flour and what affect do you think it has.  I recall seeing some bags of it at the health food store.   

I learned Spelt flour from a video by George Eckrich in making his famous "Killer Focaccia". He said Spelt flour is a whole grain flour and it would improve the flavor, colour and nutrition of your bread.

http   youtube.com/watch?v=-KduGUOW1Tk

Spelt (Triticum spelta) is a hexaploid species of wheat. Wherever the recipe requires the use of whole wheat flour, you can substitute Spelt flour for it.

Details of Spelt from Wikipedia: http   en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt

As I cannot post hyperlink please copy and paste the link by yourself. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

TP

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:22:54 PM by Casadeblack »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 05:30:14 PM »
Yes they look good! and we all love pictures. Can we call it an Ultra thin crust? Cracker crust is a house favorite now here!~ do you use any type of pan like a Cutter pan? right on stone right? do you use a rolling pin?
I agree with BTB about the Hydration level I have spent a lot of time perfecting this cracker style. My first shot is shown details of doughball here wont bore you with the rest  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7592.0.html  I use a 36% hydration so its almost 1/2 the water. Check out the traditional thin crust or Devons pizza inn style thin crust recipes posted under the recipe section (on left) of this website  Its well worth a try Compare the 2 and report back please.
John
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:35:18 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Casadeblack

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:16:36 AM »
do you use any type of pan like a Cutter pan? right on stone right? do you use a rolling pin?......
John

I don't have any cutter pan. You can see it as the rims of my pizzas are not perfectly round. I rolled out my dough on a well floury counter top by a rolling pin. I kept both side of the dough dry by sprinkling flour on dough surface in each time of rolling. About rolling 5 times each side. Therefore the final hydration ratio should be lower than 70%. Before the final roll I moved the dough sheet onto a parchment paper placed on counter top. Then I rolled to the size that fitted to the pan provided with the oven about 9" in diameter. The dough was docked by a fork. At last I placed the parchment paper with dough sheet onto the baking pan for baking. I can either put my toppings before or after the dough is placed to the baking pan.

Can make cracker-like pizza with such a high hydration, I think of the following reasons.
1. The dough ball was small only 110g in weight, so it is easy to roll out thin.
2. Use of bread flour of 13.5% protein level and spelt four of >13.5%(?) protein level.
3. Sprinkling a lot of flour in rolling flat to make the dough drier.
4. My oven is a small 19L oven therefore the pizza was only a few inches away from the metal burner.

TP

The bottom of the pre-baked crust pizza got more char marks than the one time pass pizza.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:46:55 PM by Casadeblack »

pizzapan