Author Topic: Tips For My First 'Stuffed' Pizza Attempt?  (Read 1383 times)

Offline RobDude

Tips For My First 'Stuffed' Pizza Attempt?
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:29:40 PM »
So, I think I want to give a 'stuffed' pizza a try; but I'm a little confused/curious about how different stuffed is from the deep-dish I've been making.

My most recent pizza's have all been very similar to BTB's Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina.  I've been tweaking things to my own taste, but it's essentially the same.  I do a sausage/pepperoni pizza.

My first question is - can I use the same dough and place another layer on top?  Or do I need to use dough that is meant to be 'stuffed'.

My second question is pretty stupid; but what is the order for assembling a stuffed pizza.  Crust, cheese, toppings, sauce, crust, sauce?  Or is it Crust, cheese, toppings, crust, sauce?

Finally, how do you adjust the bake time/temp?  I normally cook the deep-dish pizza at 435 degrees for 24 minutes; would the stuffed be essentially the same?  For some reason I was thinking a slightly lower temp for a few minutes longer; but that's just a guess.

I did do a quick search - but if this is already covered and you have a link; I'd very much appreciate it.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
Re: Tips For My First 'Stuffed' Pizza Attempt?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 09:31:01 AM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 11:13:36 AM »
This might help:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10018.0.html

RobDude,

That is the deep-dish stuffed crust I made that Mick.Chicago posted the link for.  If you need any instructions or help on what I did, I will try to answer the best I can.

Mick.Chicago,

Did you also try the same formula and method of making a deep-dish stuffed crust?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 07:56:56 PM »
No, but because everything you touch turns to pizza gold I trusted that linking to your pie would be appropriate  :chef:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 08:19:30 PM »
No, but because everything you touch turns to pizza gold I trusted that linking to your pie would be appropriate  :chef:

Mick.Chicago,

Thanks!  :)  Not everything I touch turns to pizza gold.  I have had my share of problems with different kinds of pizzas I have made.  :-D  I am having problems right how with using starters and understanding them and how they behave in pizza dough. They are tricky for me. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline peetzabone

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 06:14:06 PM »
My first question is - can I use the same dough and place another layer on top?  Or do I need to use dough that is meant to be 'stuffed'.

My second question is pretty stupid; but what is the order for assembling a stuffed pizza.  Crust, cheese, toppings, sauce, crust, sauce?  Or is it Crust, cheese, toppings, crust, sauce?

Finally, how do you adjust the bake time/temp?  I normally cook the deep-dish pizza at 435 degrees for 24 minutes; would the stuffed be essentially the same?  For some reason I was thinking a slightly lower temp for a few minutes longer; but that's just a guess.

Not sure if this helps or adds confusion-  but just as a thought.. I made a stuffed crust version that worked AWESOME. I used the same dough for all "tiers". (BTB's semolina enriched version was what I used- I think we all need to start paying him royalties).

I made a creamed garlic/spinach/black olive/romano cheese sauce (let me know if you want a thumbnail recipe). So construction was:

• Grease pan (I used butter)
  • Standard deep dish crust in pan
  • layer of cheese (Mozz and Prov)
  • creamed garlic spinach
  • layer of crust inside the pan w/ upward sloping "seals" on the edge to fix to side of original crust
  • layer of sausage
  • tomato sauce
  • romano cheese and chopped parsley

It was perfect. Couldn't tell you cooking time but as you stated- I slowed it down a little due to size. This was a 14" (!) springform pan. I think I cooked it at 375 for 40 mins or something.

Offline RobDude

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 11:49:08 AM »
Not sure if this helps or adds confusion-  but just as a thought.. I made a stuffed crust version that worked AWESOME. I used the same dough for all "tiers". (BTB's semolina enriched version was what I used- I think we all need to start paying him royalties).

I made a creamed garlic/spinach/black olive/romano cheese sauce (let me know if you want a thumbnail recipe). So construction was:

• Grease pan (I used butter)
  • Standard deep dish crust in pan
  • layer of cheese (Mozz and Prov)
  • creamed garlic spinach
  • layer of crust inside the pan w/ upward sloping "seals" on the edge to fix to side of original crust
  • layer of sausage
  • tomato sauce
  • romano cheese and chopped parsley

It was perfect. Couldn't tell you cooking time but as you stated- I slowed it down a little due to size. This was a 14" (!) springform pan. I think I cooked it at 375 for 40 mins or something.

How think was your top layer of crust?

My stuffed pizza came out pretty bad.  The top layer was pretty gross/oily/slimy.  My instructions said to put oil on the top layer, bake half way, take it out, add the sauce, finish baking.  I'm not sure if that was a bad idea when using BTBs semolina (it seems like it's already pretty oily?) - but I'm also thinking the top layer was too thin.  I used about 1/4 of the dough on the top and 3/4ths on the bottom/sides. 

pizzapan