Author Topic: Help me find a mixer  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Vindii

Help me find a mixer
« on: October 02, 2010, 10:42:37 AM »
I read thru the first 5 pages of threads and now I'm more confused than I was before.  I'm looking for something to mix dough. I'm not sure if I should be looking at a mixer, bread machine, or food processor.  I generally make small batches of dough.  Normally enough for 1-2 14" pies.  I would like to keep the cost under $300 but less is better.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Help me find a mixer
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »
after having a bunch of different ones, the bosch is my favorite.  A used universal should be about 150-200 on ebay.    It should work fine for smaller batches, but I would suggest making more than one pizza at a time and using a very low yeast dough.  You can use one dough ball in the first few days after mixing and the second dough ball can sit in the fridge for a week and still be good.   
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 12:10:05 PM by scott r »

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 12:27:32 PM »
I did an analysis of mixers out there about 6 months ago. It came down to the Electrolux DLX & Bosch Universal Plus. I chose the BUP over the DLX based upon price, flexibility, and feedback from users. Overall it just seemed like the BUP was far more flexible than the DLX. I was looking for something to do large batches of dough for up to 3 trays of sicilian pizza at a time and the BUP does it very well.

YMMV but I'm very happy with the choice I made and would do it all over again.

steel_baker
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »
Steel baker, I think you made the right choice.    I had both and prefer the bosch for ease of use, final product, and it is cheaper.   

Offline Vindii

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 06:54:55 PM »
Thanks guys.  I think I'll start looking for a used bosch.  Anything special I should look for when looking at used one?  Like how old it is?

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 09:04:30 PM »
They have two used one on this site at the bottom. http://www.fykitchen.com/Results.cfm?category=6

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 11:58:05 PM »
The previous generation universal (the newest is called the universal plus) is often sold on ebay for anywhere from 150-200.    It should be noted that the only forum member I know of who actually had the previous version and updated to the universal plus is widespread pizza.  He has told me that he thinks the new one makes an even better dough.   The older generation did heat up the dough a little more with its faster motion (the new ones run slower).    Still, I have borrowed his previous generation universal and thought it was better than my electrolux dlx and as good as but much easier to use than the santos home fork mixer. 

Offline Vindii

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 09:37:55 AM »
They have two used one on this site at the bottom. http://www.fykitchen.com/Results.cfm?category=6

Looks like the used ones are almost 30 years old.  Is that still worth what they are asking?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 06:28:29 PM »
between those two, definitely get the plus, same price as the non plus, and I don't think the steel bowl really is any better than the plastic one.    It will be the best 300 you have ever spent.   

Offline Vindii

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 01:34:18 PM »
I was going to grab the used bosch plus on ebay but someone bought it with the buy it now before I could bid.  Bit the bullet and ordered a new one for $359.  Sounds like I should be happy with this based on what I have read.

Thanks for the help.