Author Topic: Neo-Neopolitan.....way too easy....very, very good  (Read 10436 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Re: Neo-Neopolitan.....way too easy....very, very good
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 03:31:04 PM »
Danny
I store my dough in little plastic freezer containers.  As for reballing, I take about 30 seconds to tighten up the dough back into a ball..really not much to it.

John

buceriasdon

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 07:30:54 PM »
John, Indeed, great looking pies. Concerning baker's percentage, is it assumed that say 2.% would be calcuted as .02? Oil and sugar would be .042 from 4.2%. I admit to being confused. Thanks, Don

John,

That is a nice looking pizza.

Since many of our members do not know how to work off of just baker's percents, can you provide the actual weights and/or volume amounts you actually used?

Peter

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 08:07:31 PM »
Using baking percentages, each ingredient is stated (as a percentage) in relation to flour (which will be 100%).  So, to figure how much oil to put in your recipe (your example), you take the amount of flour you are using by weight and multiply it by 4.3% (that is .043).
John

buceriasdon

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 08:17:26 PM »
Ah, the light came on. Thank you very much. I will definitely try this recipe.
Thanks again, Don

Using baking percentages, each ingredient is stated (as a percentage) in relation to flour (which will be 100%).  So, to figure how much oil to put in your recipe (your example), you take the amount of flour you are using by weight and multiply it by 4.3% (that is .043).
John

Offline nobodysweasel

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 12:18:52 AM »
Thanks for the recipe!  It's very similar to my go-to recipe, which is from another Reinhart book.  There's a slightly condensed version of it on the blog "101 Cookbooks" (sorry, it won't let me post a link because I'm new - a google search should bring it up though).  I'm excited to try yours out and see how the two compare.

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 09:14:34 PM »
John - How are you forming the final crust?  Over your hands or on the table?
Thanks
Dave
Always make new mistakes.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 03:31:23 PM »
Here is an experiment using Reinhart's method, his recipe (but upped the hydration rate to 90 percent).  I also took 25% of the flour and made a poolish (12 hour room temp fermention, 100% hydration, just a pinch of yeast).  After 12 hours took poolish and added remaining ingredients and processed just as the recipe calls for.  The final dough was very hard to handle, in fact the portioned doughs are basically plopped into refrigerator containers to ferment at cool temperatures.  I baked the first dough after refrigerating for 12 hours.....although a bit hard to work with...well worth the effort...I made an egg with swiss cheese pizza.   DEELISH!!
John

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2010, 11:44:16 PM »
those are some nice looking pies for sure :pizza:

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »
I've been sticking with this method awhile and noticed that Peter Reinhart changed up the method abit on his new website.  It is still the simplest dough in the world to make, but now it takes a bit longer because he has added 3 folds interlaced with 5 minute rests. 
http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/92-classic-pizza-dough-neo-neapolitan-style.html
The following pie is made with Roma 00 flour, it contains no oil or sugar (except for about a teaspoon of oil on the baking sheet I made the folds on).  This dough was in the fridge for 30 hours, it weighs 10 ounces and made an 11 inch pizza.  It was baked in my home oven with my tiles at about 620 degrees.
John

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 01:06:57 AM »
Looking Great!
 :pizza:
-Bill

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 11:26:23 PM »
I made a batch this afternoon using the fold/wait/fold method and the dough looks good.  I did the initial and 2nd mixes with a Danish dough whisk which worked well but took longer than the 1 minute indicted in the instructions.  It took at least 2 minutes to get the ingredients combined but was gentler than a minute in a mixer.  (I guess) 

It would have failed the windowpane test by a mile so I'm really interested to see how things develop over the next few days. 

As I don't have room in the fridge the dough is in the cold garage.  I need to see if the temp is between 32 and 40....

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 01:04:09 AM »
I confess to not knowing what a Danish dough whisk is...so I looked it up...  When mixing without a mixer I've used a wooden spoon, I've used a dough scraper, and I've used the "throw the dough down and roll it up method".  They all worked fine!  Don't think the exact amount of time is what is important..as long as it gets mixed.  Your "windowpane" comment is what drew me to this recipe in the first place, since I first learned about windowpanes from Reinhart himself...and this method seems such a stretch from his earlier recipes.  Hope you have great luck with your dough...if I might make one suggestion...give your dough plenty of time to set out at room temperature after you ball it...even up to 3 hours!!

John

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 10:46:28 AM »
Like all the 5* Amazon reviews I can't believe I didn't own it sooner and my wife agrees.

The best <$10 purchase I've made in a long time.

Thanks for the tip!

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 12:04:47 PM »
Still playing with Reinhart's methods and recipes....and I have to say, I simply love them!!!  Simple, delicious!!!  I made another batch of dough using Roma oo flour.  The following pie is a 10 ounce dough, stretched to 13 inches, baked in 620 degree deck.

John

Offline DannyG

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, 12:38:07 PM »
I used this Reinhart recipe for the first time last night. (Actually, made the dough 3 days ago and had it in the frig until I made the last night.) Before this I use to kneed the dough in my KA for a total of about 14 minutes. 2-initial mix, add oil, 2 mix, rest 5, mix 10. Instead I mixed for about a minute and then used the fold and rests of the Reinhart recipe. It was so easy and the dough was light, airy, and delicious. This will now be my default way for dough. Thanks for bringing it to my attention John.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 05:25:14 PM »
Glad to hear, Danny.  Just payin' my dues for all the info I've gleened from this site!!

John

parallei

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 06:36:46 PM »
Those are some fine looking pies John!  I've been making bread and rectangular pies the past 4 to 6 weeks.  Time to try your recipe out :D

Offline eiram21

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 09:54:18 PM »
Hi Fazzari,
I'm just wondering how you get your home oven to such high temperatures? What kind of oven is it?

Eiram
Marie

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 10:29:49 PM »
Just a standard electric oven....I have rack covered with quarry tile, which I put on the top rack..kind of creating a mini oven in the top third of the oven.  I was kinda shocked when I took the temp of the quarry tiles too....I didn't realize my oven would get them that hot...no modifications here.
John

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 11:56:32 PM »
My fold and rest pizzas were very good but not as wonderful as I always hope.  I couldn't get good surface tension on the bulk rise (48 hours in the fridge) or the resulting dough balls.  Not bad, mind you, but not great.  The dough stretched out-of-round very easily though it was quite strong and didn't break.

I may try again this weekend with a 72 hour rise.  My fingers are crossed since I don't want to risk my wife's KA (which has been struggling) and have never had much success with hand-kneading.

Dave