Author Topic: video pizza howto with long fridge dough rest  (Read 2078 times)

Offline giop

video pizza howto with long fridge dough rest
« on: September 21, 2010, 12:28:39 PM »
Hi to all of you pizza lovers.
I'm from Rome and i make pizza at home because...it's good, fast and funny.
I've made a video showing all the process in detail, from making the dough to cooking the pizza in a special pizza oven.
Tell me what you think of it. I know, comments are in italian but if it interests you i will translate them.
The process is optimized to be easy, effective and consistent.
Ingredients are carefully weighted (in grams). Percentage refers to the flour.
59% water in type 0 white flour.
1,9% salt and optionally olive oil
0,18% fresh yeast

5 minutes hand kneading
2 or 3 days rest in fridge (very important)
dough ball shaping and 4-6h final proof at room temp
2 minutes cooking time in an electric pizza oven with stone (1200W preheated for 15 minutes)

Here are the two videos on youtube (you can see the cooked pizza at the end of the second one)
(i can't post the full links because i'm a new member)

part one:
search this on google: Q2dYHG6k5bE

part two:
seach this on google: ugTLwcEV4ts

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:37:37 PM by giop »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: video pizza howto with long fridge dough rest
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 12:41:38 PM »
For convenience, here are the active links:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2dYHG6k5bE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2dYHG6k5bE</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugTLwcEV4ts" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugTLwcEV4ts</a>

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 02:25:15 PM »
glop, welcome to the forum, this is a truly excellent step by step pizza making video!   I can tell that you are not new at this by your hand kneading technique, which is perfect!    I think this will be a good asset to the forum when people are interested in how to properly hand knead a small batch of dough.   Thank you!   

Offline Iowamcnabb

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 03:37:12 PM »
thats a nice litte video and a really cool pizza maker in the second vid. Do they sell those in the US?

Offline giop

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 05:09:06 PM »
...a really cool pizza maker in the second vid. Do they sell those in the US?
I don't know but in Italy it's very popular. Search "pizza napoli express" in this forum, there is a tread on it. Produced by "g3 ferrari" mainly in china. Only the inox version is still produced in Italy.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 05:15:06 PM »
giop,
Bravissimo, buon lavoro!

Matt

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »
Giop,

Great videos! Thank you very much for posting them.

I can tell you're very meticulous, with great attention to detail. I just made a dough yesterday with Caputo 00 and fresh yeast. I don't know, but when I use fresh yeast the dough feels different than other doughs made with dry yeast.

And those red boxes remind me of the lunch boxes my mother used to send me off to school with. Didn't know that they are still around in Europe but it shows they come in very handy.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »
Giop,

Great videos! Thank you very much for posting them.

I can tell you're very meticulous, with great attention to detail. I just made a dough yesterday with Caputo 00 and fresh yeast. I don't know, but when I use fresh yeast the dough feels different than other doughs made with dry yeast.

And those red boxes remind me of the lunch boxes my mother used to send me off to school with. Didn't know that they are still around in Europe but it shows they come in very handy.

Same here,  I just got my hands on some fresh yeast today as well.  Mixed up 2 dough balls and they just seem different somehow.  Not sure how or what it is but slightly different - yes.   they even smell different.  Yeastier than IDY or ADY.  ???

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 07:16:32 PM »
Same here,  I just got my hands on some fresh yeast today as well.  Mixed up 2 dough balls and they just seem different somehow.  Not sure how or what it is but slightly different - yes.   they even smell different.  Yeastier than IDY or ADY.  ???

Chau,

Here's an interesting tidbit on fresh vs. instant yeast from the San Francisco Baking Institute:

http://www.sfbi.com/tip_fresh_yeast.html

But the dough has definitely a different texture and smell.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 10:37:33 PM »
Giop, beautiful dough.

Was any extra flour used for kneading, or was all the flour used part of the formula flour?

Also, do you know the protein % of your type 0 flour?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:39:07 PM by dwighttsharpe »
Dwight

Offline giop

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 05:00:38 AM »
Giop, beautiful dough.

Was any extra flour used for kneading, or was all the flour used part of the formula flour?

Also, do you know the protein % of your type 0 flour?

Thanks.

1) It was a little part of the flour weighted at the beginning.
2) it's 11,5% protein, but these data for the consumer market are not really accurate. In short it's an organic medium strength flour suggested from the miller for pizza and bread. It's similar to the caputo blue.

Offline giop

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 09:46:07 AM »
Here's an interesting tidbit on fresh vs. instant yeast from the San Francisco Baking Institute:

i substantially agree with that link, only i think a conversion of 60% for instant yeast is more accurate when using small doses and fridge rest. I feel that fresh yeast is more reliable in this case, anyway with the correct amount of instant yeast we can obtain the same result. To reduce the risk of problems i prefer to use the fresh yeast. It's also easier to dissolve in water and i can store it in fridge at 3C for one month.
If used in large amount for fast dough rise the smell of fresh yeast is more stronger than the instant yeast.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:48:11 AM by giop »

Offline giop

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 12:02:18 PM »
i've seen that the oven i used in the video is well known in this forum under the name "pizza bella":
read here for example: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,274.0.html

outside:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/how-well-does-the-deni-pizza-bella-countertop-electric-pizza-oven-work.html

I own a new model that's only aesthetically different but identical internally. I modded the thermostat to allow a slightly higher maximum temp and i can cook in 2 minutes after 15 minutes of warmup. It's extremely important the elements are always on while the pizza is inside. The thermostat don't have to cycle on-off-on.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:29:38 PM by giop »

Offline Williamgag

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 08:36:08 PM »
I'm trying that fkn right now ! lol ... im so in a pizza mood :P

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 01:56:13 PM »
glop, welcome to the forum, this is a truly excellent step by step pizza making video!   Thank you!   

Can't say it any better and for a visual learner, that was simply amazing!!!

Offline giop

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 11:33:36 AM »
Ciao a tutti dall'Italia!  :chef:
Ho fatto un nuovo video e...oops, wrong language  :P...i've made a new video of my pizza making that shows exactly what i do now. It may be helpfull to newbies and i would like to receive advices from the experts. Enjoy!  :pizza: bye

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdvEiAvgwnY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdvEiAvgwnY</a>

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 01:22:34 PM »
giop, thank you for the video. Just a couple questions, please.

Are you using that oven due to convenience, or do you like the some attributes of the oven over say a gas oven?

When mixing your dough is there a specific reason that you initially keep the mixture wet, and gradually add the remaining water and flour? I add all my flour to all my water at one time but am interested to know how your methods affect your dough?

Thanks again for your kindness in helping the members here.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline giop

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 04:07:36 PM »
Hi mkevenson,
The video is intended to show what you get if you do things that way. That way is what i suppose to be a good, simple and fast way to do things, maybe not the best and there are a lot of other ways to do pizza.  ;)
Here the answers:
1- The oven is the most convenient oven existing on the planet to do pizza at home because it's small, costs 60$, heats up in 12 min, cooks in 2 min, only 1200w. Anyway, any other oven that can cook in 2 minutes or less is ok.

2- Basically i make a cream with all the ingredients well mixed then i add the remaining flour. I think this speeds up the omogeneous distribution of salt yeast and fats, and i made a short kneading.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »
Thanks  :pizza: :chef: .

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

pizzapan