Author Topic: Suggestion for next Monthly Challenge  (Read 5446 times)

Offline hotsawce

Suggestion for next Monthly Challenge
« on: September 22, 2010, 01:35:32 PM »
Just a suggestion for the next monthly challenge; I'd like to see what everyone can come up with using different flours for pizza dough. For example, Bob's Red Mill makes everything from coconut flour to pea flour to potato flour.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re: Suggestion for next Monthly Challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 02:08:14 PM »
Hey, I like the idea but I thought of one a couple of months ago that I held onto because I figured it fit better in October.  the Theme was candy and I just thought it went well with Halloween.  Thoughts people?

I'm on too many of these boards

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:22:54 PM »
Candy does fit in well with October. Immediately, my mind conjured up a pizza with frosting, sprinkles, and candy corn....like a cup cake :x. Anyone feeling courageous enough to make an orange colored pizza?

The different flours would be good for november, I think. A month that is focused around utilizing bountiful harvest?

Offline 100million

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:26:10 AM »
How about some thing with Pumpkin or Orange pizza :)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 05:54:56 PM »
Candy does fit in well with October. Immediately, my mind conjured up a pizza with frosting, sprinkles, and candy corn....like a cup cake :x. Anyone feeling courageous enough to make an orange colored pizza?

The different flours would be good for november, I think. A month that is focused around utilizing bountiful harvest?

Sorry to be back so late, bit of cold had me down. Those were basicly my thoughts (esp the candy corn)

Offline Guts

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:40:17 AM »
How about pizza made with Beer instead of water, Oktoberfest pies... would cover a  wide range of toppings...
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline s00da

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 07:12:13 AM »
How about pizzas made with flavored/infused doughs? like garlic powder or any other extreme ideas

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 07:52:40 AM »
All these ideas on this thread are interesting to me.  I really like the monthly challenge.  :)

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PietroUK

• Pizzablog.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 11:41:57 AM »
You could continue on some of the previous themes used - for example, you've had 'Germany' - why not use other nations (or groups of nations/regions), and their culture/produce as an inspiration for different pizzas - the list could go on and on. Spain, Mexico, India, Jamaica/West Indian would be particularly good choices IMHO, but any could work. :)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 06:53:20 PM »
Sounds good.  From time to time people get a little tired and  I noticed skipping a month in the summer has helped getting interest up.

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 07:20:53 PM »
And this is why many of us in other parts of the world would feel exculed. We have no access to exotic flours described here in this suggestion. I would just have to say " pass". Thanks, but no thanks. Many of us soldier on with what most of you would consider substandard flours but know we make a pretty damn good pizza by any standard.
Don

Just a suggestion for the next monthly challenge; I'd like to see what everyone can come up with using different flours for pizza dough. For example, Bob's Red Mill makes everything from coconut flour to pea flour to potato flour.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 07:27:19 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 07:41:43 PM »
I couple of ideas, but any suggestions out there?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 10:08:54 PM »
How about pizza made with Beer instead of water, Oktoberfest pies... would cover a  wide range of toppings...

Or maybe simply "No water."
Pizza is not bread.

parallei

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 10:27:01 PM »
Something I've been thinking about lately is pizza as a side dish.  Maybe the toppings would need to scaled back a bit? I'm thinking it would need to be a pretty light and digestible dough (or not), and it would need to work with the main dish (or not).  Of course, one would need to provide photo's of the "side" plated with the rest of the meal....just a thought.

Offline Smith1026

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 09:03:30 AM »
Things that come to mind about April:

April Fools: A pizza that looks like one thing but tastes completely different.

April showers: Pizza soup; pizza with ridiculous hydration; or has been suggested, no water.

Taxes: Pizza that tastes really horrible and makes you want to wretch :-D; or pizza made as cheaply as possible.

Easter: Eggs; Rabbit; Chocolate; or what your pizza would be if it were your last supper.

Offline mvnolan

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »
Things that come to mind about April:

April Fools: A pizza that looks like one thing but tastes completely different.

April showers: Pizza soup; pizza with ridiculous hydration; or has been suggested, no water.

Taxes: Pizza that tastes really horrible and makes you want to wretch :-D; or pizza made as cheaply as possible.

Easter: Eggs; Rabbit; Chocolate; or what your pizza would be if it were your last supper.

I like the "pizza made as cheaply as possible" idea.  That could get really interesting, especially with people all over the world explaining what it "normally" costs them to make something similar.  It could really give people an insight into what is available and used in different places.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 11:35:27 AM »

I like the "pizza made as cheaply as possible" idea.  That could get really interesting, especially with people all over the world explaining what it "normally" costs them to make something similar.  It could really give people an insight into what is available and used in different places.

It would be DKM's call, but I would not want to see a "cheap pizza" challenge. The spirit of these challenges and the forum in general is to encourage the best pizzas possible. Economizing is good, but making great pizzas is better, IMO.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 12:42:30 PM »
I like what some of the things I have seen here, plus have a couple of others myself.

As ideas come to you, please feel fee to continue to post them in this thread.

buceriasdon

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »
With so many new members joining the forum recently I thought it wouldn't be such a bad idea to revisit dessert pizza, the Sept. 2009 challenge, sometime in the future, perhaps when fruit harvest is peaking. Also I would like to suggest a Stovetop Pizza Challenge at some time. Can one make a decent, if not tasty pizza in a skillet and a lid on a stove? Dunno.
Don

Offline Guts

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 04:57:27 PM »
here's another suggestion, if I may. You see them everywhere in the store. How about French bread pizza or something made with bread?
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

pizzapan